Another near miss at Heathrow

Again they are not sure. It might be another plastic bag. Drone sure makes a better story then a plastic bag. I would think a miss by 10 feet, the turbulence would do a number on the “drone “?

Again they are not sure. It might be another plastic bag. Drone sure makes a better story then a plastic bag. I would think a miss by 10 feet, the turbulence would do a number on the “drone “?

It would certainly be thrown around in the wake turbulence, but it's behind the wing by the time that happens.

And in case anyone wants report details:

screenshot79.png

Pilot reported a ‘drone-like object’. I suppose that could be anything in the general shape of a drone. And at 3200 feet on approach. Really?

After flying commercial aircraft for over 35 years, unless I can definitively identify an object in that situation, I’ll dismiss it as an undetermined object and continue my flight.

Pilot reported a ‘drone-like object’. I suppose that could be anything in the general shape of a drone. And at 3200 feet on approach. Really?

After flying commercial aircraft for over 35 years, unless I can definitively identify an object in that situation, I’ll dismiss it as an undetermined object and continue my flight.

I'm pretty sure that the only drone-like objects in the sky are drones. From which I would conclude that the pilot identified it as an unidentified drone.

Isn't the turbulence behind the wing that racks havoc with other aircraft?
Wake turbulence can severely affect other smaller aircraft, thus controllers have standard separation rules. I would assume wake turbulence would do a number on a drone.

And the article includes an image of a DJI Phantom. I would think DJI would be going nuts over those negative images.

Flaps down on approach would cause turbulence not just right under the wing (especially near the engines), but for many feet below and every where behind the aircraft. Ever been at the end of the runway when a plane lands? You don't have to be very close to be tossed around. And they are still a score meters or more above the ground. No thrust, just turbulence from the flaps. Certainly not the conditions I want my sUAS in. Manned aircraft pilots, correct me if I'm wrong.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl