Another Complete Newbie Question

smp

Reaction score
Hello again, all,

Thanks very much to all who posted advice to my initial story and questions.

For context, I received my DJI Phantom 3 Standard yesterday, and I managed to fly a few tiny test flights, then get myself into trouble but sustain no damage beyond one broken propeller, and then manage a few short flights using the RC only with no DJI GO app for the video link.

Since I am a complete newbie to remotely controlled aircraft, I am a bit overwhelmed by the remote controller plus the DJI GO app both at the same time, while I am learning to fly. So, I am now trying to learn everything about manually flying the aircraft using only the RC, and setting aircraft modes and initiating actions by using S1 & S2.

My latest newbie question is this: If I am not using the DJI GO App with my iPhone, will the aircraft still be in Beginner Mode, or will it listen to the S1 position?

Also, the User Manual says that the Flight Mode Switch is locked into P-Mode by default, and one must use the DJI GO app to change that to Enable Multiple Flight Modes.

So, I'm confused. I never took the aircraft out of Beginner Mode when I used the DJI GO app, and I never used the app to change to Enable Multiple Flight Modes. So, if I stay completely using manual control with the RC only, will I be in Beginner Mode or will I be in P-Mode?

Thanks very much, in advance, for your advice.

smp

If I am not using the DJI GO App with my iPhone, will the aircraft still be in Beginner Mode
Some settings (like Beginner Mode) are stored on your Phantom. Others are stored on your mobile device where DJI GO is installed. While it's not a good idea to fly without DJI GO (or another 3rd party FPV app), all settings stored on your Phantom will be remembered when your Phantom is not connected to DJI GO.

or will it listen to the S1 position?
Beginner Mode and the S1 switch position are completely different functions. When in Beginner Mode, your Phantom will fly at a restricted speed and not be able to fly beyond a 30m radius from the home point.

the User Manual says that the Flight Mode Switch is locked into P-Mode by default, and one must use the DJI GO app to change that to Enable Multiple Flight Modes.
Correct. You'll need to enable that setting in order to fly in A-mode (ATTI) or F-mode.

So, if I stay completely using manual control with the RC only, will I be in Beginner Mode or will I be in P-Mode?
You will be in both if Beginner Mode is enabled and you did not enable the Multiple Flight Mode setting.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
I see another crash in your near future. I fail to see how using the Go app could make flying more difficult. If nothing else, simply don't look at the display. In addition to that, if you can't yet fly the drone with the Go app I don't think you should be taking it out of beginner mode. It's the reason why that mode exists. The Go app includes a _lot_ of safe guards that should not be ignored (GPS warnings, low battery warnings, loss of signal warnings, etc.).

Yes, the P3 will still respond to the S1 and S2 switch.

I think in the second paragraph the OP gave his reasons (valid or otherwise) :)

Out of curiosity, why you not using the app?

Hi,

During my first flights, my iPhone 5 konked out completely. This was a complete loss of power to the iPhone. When I took it back inside and attached the charger, I saw that the battery had been completely drained, from something like 85% down to where it shut itself down, all in the space of like 10 minutes of use with the DJI GO app.

I've since learned that the iPhone 5 is not up to the task of working with the DJI GO app, so I will have to use my iPad Air for the DJI GO app, unless I want to go out and buy a new iPhone.

I'm also completely new to flying a remote control aircraft, so I'm learning a lot about all the controls, and what to do to in order to fly safely without being distracted by the video stream.

Valid reasons, or not, that's my situation at the moment.

smp

Reactions: 750r
Yes, you definitely need a new device. Also, certain iPhone 5 's were known to have defective batteries, and you should have replaced it during the recall 4 years ago.

if you can't yet fly the drone with the Go app I don't think you should be taking it out of beginner mode. It's the reason why that mode exists.

Thanks very much for your input. For the record, I am not looking to get out of Beginner Mode, I was only asking if it is still in effect.

Msinger provided the details that I was looking for (Thanks!). I was not thinking about it that way. Now I know that I can be in Beginner Mode and also P-Mode at the same time. I had to think about it for a little bit, but it makes sense.

Thanks,
smp

Hi,

During my first flights, my iPhone 5 konked out completely. This was a complete loss of power to the iPhone. When I took it back inside and attached the charger, I saw that the battery had been completely drained, from something like 85% down to where it shut itself down, all in the space of like 10 minutes of use with the DJI GO app.

I've since learned that the iPhone 5 is not up to the task of working with the DJI GO app, so I will have to use my iPad Air for the DJI GO app, unless I want to go out and buy a new iPhone.

I'm pretty sure lots of people fly with the iPhone 5. I also don't see how anything could take a good working phone from 85% to 0% in 10 minutes. You may want to try it again.

I'm also completely new to flying a remote control aircraft, so I'm learning a lot about all the controls, and what to do to in order to fly safely without being distracted by the video stream.
That is one of the best things I have read with someone new . You are spot on ;)

That's the thing - there was a known batch of iPhone 5's with defective batteries, and they were supposed to be replaced with Apple's recall: iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program - Apple Support

Well, you know, I've had this phone since July prior to when the iPhone 5S came out, and this is the very first time that anything like this has happened to me. You can claim that I have a defective battery and I should have done something about it long ago, but that hasn't happened, and I have to deal with the here and now.

I just think that it's old, as far as technology goes, and others have pointed out to me that DJI claims that the least capable iPhone they recommend is the iPhone 5S. Too bad for me.

smp

It seems like this is the third time in as many days that I've made almost this exact same post, but if you want to get comfortable controlling the P3, P4 or any other expensive system, get a small indoor quad and practice. I'll just cut and paste from yesterday in another thread:

"IMO the best exercise to get comfortable flying any expensive drone in close quarters is to get good flying something like a Hubsan X4 107 series or a Blade Nano QX around the house.

Practice "nose-in" hover a lot. Get to the point you can fly little circles and figure 8's around the livingroom with one of these, and your chances of losing control of the Phantom in ATTI mode, or making an inappropriate stick movement in close quarters with a tree is dramatically reduced. Practice, practice, practice."

It seems like this is the third time in as many days that I've made almost this exact same post, but if you want to get comfortable controlling the P3, P4 or any other expensive system, get a small indoor quad and practice.
But, nothing flies quite like a Phantom. So, if you want to learn how to fly a Phantom, it's best to actually fly a Phantom. For practicing, go to a location where there are absolutely no obstacles (other than the ground). There will be plenty of space to hone orientation skills in such a location.

Hi
I agree with PrecisionAeroworks and agree to some extent with msinger, however where I differ from msinger and lean towards PrecisionAeroworks is this, whilst the only way to learn to fly a Phantom is to fly a Phantom, however to learn the delicacy of touch on the sticks necessary to fly around your living room without crashing, and to "feel" what the quad is doing a Hubsan X4 107 series or a Blade Nano QX are second to none. With this type of craft, without vertical stabilisation or GPS position hold, when you release the sticks it does not stop where it is, it's like a speed boat or a grass track buggy, when you are turning you will see that the craft slews, (drifts sideways, like understeer ) or when you want to stop you have to pull back slightly on the R/H stick, because the bird has forward motion which needs to either be dissipate or arrested.
When you have mastered a quad without GPS you will not fear or make as many mistakes in atti mode.
Well that's my $10.00 dollars worth.
Waylander

Reactions: PrecisionAeroworks
When you have mastered a quad without GPS you will not fear or make as many mistakes in atti mode.
Flying in ATTI mode is dead simple though. It seems the real problem is people often don't know the Phantom has switched from GPS to ATTI mode. And, then it drifts into some nearby obstacle. Unfortunately, no amount of practice flying a Blade Nano will teach you that very important lesson.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl