AMA Recommends Members To Not Register Until Deadline

My AMA number is on all of my drones and fixed wing aircraft (along with name and phone #). My gut feeling tells me in a few months, that # is all I may need.
I have nothing to hide, and the fact that my ID is there enabled me to recover a fixed wing plane I lost in a National Forest two years ago. The plane spent the winter on the forest floor, and was found by some hikers who reunited us. Stuck a new battery in it and it flew just fine. My local RC store had a Phantom 2 with an FPV set up that was found in the same forest a few months later. It sat on the counter for months waiting to be claimed. The shop finally put it up for sale. Too bad they didn't have any contact information on it.

But I understand why some people would not want their ID on their drones... :eek:

Seems like the AMA wants people to register with them instead of the FAA. They aren't against registration so it seems. Also, I believe the AMA is more strict than the FAA.
AMA fliers flying model aircraft have very strict rules while flying under AMA Rules at their airfields. Those rules are appropriate for those conditions. They are unduly restrictive for drone hobbyists flying their drones. All AMA flying is strictly Visual LOS only! AMA prohibits any flying over 400 feet AGL. You are prohibited from flying by FPV only. They also prohibit handcatching and handlaunching. They require using a spotter at all times. Night flying is also prohibited. None of those AMA limitations are currently mandatory by the FAA for hobbyists flying in FAA airspace, nor should they be, for an experienced drone pilot. They are a good idea when first learning to fly. Imposing them on all drone pilots would be ridiculous, which is what the AMA asked the FAA to do! Further, all AMA Flying Rules must be strictly adhered to, for the AMA Insurance to provide any coverage at all!

Last edited:
Actually the deadline is February 19 for all UAS flown prior to December 21. Immediately prior to first flight for UAS purchased on or after December 21. No extension past February 19 even if you aren't flying your UAS flown prior to December 21.
Realistically, I have no idea how anyone is going to enforce that, but that is the regulation.
If the drone isn't flown after February 19, the owner has no requirement to register just because it was previously flown, unless they fly it after February 19. The FAA has no jurisdiction over a drone until it is flown into FAA airspace.

FAA Finally Admits Names And Home Addresses In Drone Registry Will Be Publicly Available

FAA Finally Admits Names And Home Addresses In Drone Registry Will Be Publicly Available

Enough of a reason to hold off on registering...
Agreed!

But, it's not finally an admission, if it was already in black and white in the original 211 page document on page 148 released Monday, that no one wanted to take the time to read.

"Additionally, as provided in the SORN, the general public will be able to search the part 48 registry database by the unique identifier. The name and address associated with that unique identifier will populate in accordance with that search."

It's been there all along.

AMA fliers flying model aircraft have very strict rules while flying under AMA Rules at their airfields. Those rules are appropriate for those conditions. They are unduly restrictive for drone hobbyists flying their drones. All AMA flying is strictly Visual LOS only! You are prohibited from flying by FPV only. They also prohibit handcatching and handlaunching. They require using a spotter at all times. Night flying is also prohibited. None of those AMA limitations are currently mandatory by the FAA for hobbyists flying in FAA airspace, nor should they be, for an experienced drone pilot. They are a good idea when first learning to fly. Imposing them on all drone pilots would be ridiculous, which is what the AMA asked the FAA to do!

Somebody has their "facts" about the AMA all wrong, and not just a little bit either!! How about actually going to the AMA website and actually finding out what the rules REALLY are instead of spreading false information that is EASILY verified by simply LOOKING at the AMA publications!

Rumor-mongering helps no one!! Get your facts straight before posting and save yourself some embarrassment!

PS- I did get a belly laugh at your version of the rules though, "[...] require using a spotter at all times.", that is HILARIOUS! Or that the AMA is line of sight flying only and FPV is prohibited, what makes that funny is that it's the FAA's position you are stating not the AMA's! AMA is fine on FPV flying, and is one of the ONLY times a spotter is actually needed! FAA doesn't even allow for that! I needed a good chuckle though, thanks again...

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodnNuff
AMA fliers flying model aircraft have very strict rules while flying under AMA Rules at their airfields. Those rules are appropriate for those conditions. They are unduly restrictive for drone hobbyists flying their drones. All AMA flying is strictly Visual LOS only! You are prohibited from flying by FPV only. They also prohibit handcatching and handlaunching. They require using a spotter at all times. Night flying is also prohibited. None of those AMA limitations are currently mandatory by the FAA for hobbyists flying in FAA airspace, nor should they be, for an experienced drone pilot. They are a good idea when first learning to fly. Imposing them on all drone pilots would be ridiculous, which is what the AMA asked the FAA to do!
We fly BLOS at two of my AMA sanctioned fields on a regular basis. The other field doesn't allow it because it is within a State Park.
Sail Plane gliders hand catch and hand launch. As do some drone pilots.
A spotter is only required when flying FPV with goggles.
Night Flying is sanctioned at two of the three fields I fly at (The State Park closes at dusk).

Field/Club rules are set by the Club.
IF you make a claim using the AMA insurance, and they can prove you were not flying within THEIR rules (not the clubs), then they will not cover you.

I'm not advocating anyone join the AMA, but I do advocate for accuracy.

Edit: And as an AMA member, I can fly however I please when not flying at an AMA sanctioned club. Several of us meet every Tuesday morning at a local soccer field to do 3D flying. We get pretty crazy and can do so freely without irking the members who find joy in just flying never ending oval patterns over the field.

Last edited:
Reactions: jlummel
We fly BLOS at two of my AMA sanctioned fields on a regular basis. The other field doesn't allow it because it is within a State Park.
Sail Plane gliders hand catch and hand launch. As do some drone pilots.
A spotter is only required when flying FPV with goggles.
Night Flying is sanctioned at two of the three fields I fly at (The State Park closes at dusk).

Field/Club rules are set by the Club.
IF you make a claim using the AMA insurance, and they can prove you were not flying within THEIR rules (not the clubs), then they will not cover you.

I'm not advocating anyone join the AMA, but I do advocate for accuracy.
Thank you for the correction. Apparently, some AMA sanctioned clubs don't even follow the AMA's own Flying Rules. However, the published AMA Rules I cited are the ones that the AMA wants to impose upon all drone flyers, and are required to be followed for any claim for AMA insurance.

Last edited:
Thank you for the correction. Apparently, some AMA Clubs don't even follow the AMA's own Flying Rules. However, the published AMA Rules I cited are the ones that the AMA wants to impose upon all drone flyers, and are required to be followed for any claim for AMA insurance.
Again, you are spreading misinformation.
You seem to be under the impression that as a drone pilot, you are going to be forced to join the AMA and fly by their rules regardless of your flying location.

There are no "AMA Clubs." There are independent clubs across the nation which are sanctioned by the AMA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody has their "facts" about the AMA all wrong, and not just a little bit either!! How about actually going to the AMA website and actually finding out what the rules REALLY are instead of spreading false information that is EASILY verified by simply LOOKING at the AMA publications!

Rumor-mongering helps no one!! Get your facts straight before posting and save yourself some embarrassment!

PS- I did get a belly laugh at your version of the rules though, "[...] require using a spotter at all times.", that is HILARIOUS! Or that the AMA is line of sight flying only and FPV is prohibited, what makes that funny is that it's the FAA's position you are stating not the AMA's! AMA is fine on FPV flying, and is one of the ONLY times a spotter is actually needed! FAA doesn't even allow for that! I needed a good chuckle though, thanks again...
Feel free to post any specific citations directly from the AMA Rules that contadict me. This topic was well researched several months ago, and the AMA Rules are very clear, as is their AMA insurance. All of the above will void any claim for AMA Insurance coverage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FotoGeek
If the drone isn't flown after February 19, the owner has no requirement to register just because it was previously flown, unless they fly it after February 19. The FAA has no jurisdiction over a drone until it is flown into FAA airspace.

Here is the plain language of the Reg. Now I see this as saying, unless an owner of a UAS flown prior to December 21,2015 either has disposed of the aircraft or has no plans to ever fly it again, he or she is required to register no later than February 19, 2016. I don't know how you can get another reasonable interpretation from this unambiguous language.

"(a) Small unmanned aircraft used exclusively as model aircraft. For small unmanned aircraft operated by the current owner prior to December 21, 2015, compliance with the requirements of this part or part 47 is required no later than February 19, 2016. For all other small unmanned aircraft, compliance with this part is required prior to operation of the small unmanned aircraft."

Here is the plain language of the Reg. Now I see this as saying, unless an owner of a UAS flown prior to December 21,2015 either has disposed of the aircraft or has no plans to ever fly it again, he or she is required to register no later than February 19, 2016. I don't know how you can get another reasonable interpretation from this unambiguous language.

"(a) Small unmanned aircraft used exclusively as model aircraft. For small unmanned aircraft operated by the current owner prior to December 21, 2015, compliance with the requirements of this part or part 47 is required no later than February 19, 2016. For all other small unmanned aircraft, compliance with this part is required prior to operation of the small unmanned aircraft."
How do you see it as different than what GG said?

Reactions: GadgetGuy
It costs you $5 either way. Only if you use your personal credit card to pay now will you receive a CC credit of $5 later, if you pay within the first 30 days. It's a delayed bribe. It's not truly free, with no CC required!

I was notified last week by the US Office of Personnel Management that they were hacked and that my SSN, CC #'s and other private information was compromised. They had the information because I had to obtain a criminal background check by the FBI for employment in the aviation industry. So they better come up with a way to pay other than using a CC or requiring my SSN because it will be a cold day in hell before our inept government ever gets their slimy hands on that info. again.

How do you see it as different than what GG said?
Because GG implies that the owner of a drone operated prior to December 21 doesn't have to register by February 19 but rather anytime after February 19 as long as he is registered prior to the next flight. That is incorrect. As I said in my original post, I have no idea how FAA would enforce this but it is the plain language of the regulation.

That's cute..but the FAA > AMA
LOL, there was no intention to be cute. I am referring to the fact that the AMA would like the option of using our AMA numbers as the government registration numbers, and is working towards that means. We, just like non AMA members would still be registered, we would just be allowed to use a number already assigned to us.

Reactions: Jeff48920
LOL, there was no intention to be cute. I am referring to the fact that the AMA would like the option of using our AMA numbers as the government registration numbers, and is working towards that means. We, just like non AMA members would still be registered, we would just be allowed to use a number already assigned to us.

I repeat FAA > AMA. They don't give a **** about your AMA number. Isn't that obvious by now?

I repeat FAA > AMA. They don't give a **** about your AMA number. Isn't that obvious by now?
The point is that AMA is considering litigation that, if successful, will address FAA potential overreach and, at the same time, AMA is figuring out other ways to protect hobbyist rights. Whether FAA > AMA or AMA > FAA or AMA = FAA on registration number issues remains to be adjudicated.

I'm not sure what type of response you are trying to elicit, but I won't engage with you.
Find another outlet for your anger.

lol I'm simply trying to point out that the AMA is not more powerful than the US gov't, and that you will get a FAA number just like the rest of us...however unfortunate that may be... reality will set in by Feb.

Feel free to post any specific citations directly from the AMA Rules that contadict me. This topic was well researched several months ago, and the AMA Rules are very clear, as is their AMA insurance. All of the above will void any claim for AMA Insurance coverage.

You're the one making these claims and that it has been researched. Enlighten us...

Burden of proof is on you.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1