AMA Recommends Members To Not Register Until Deadline

Exactly my point! The FAA has assured everyone that their database will meet the same government required security standards as the one used by the US Office of Personnel Management! Comforting, eh? :rolleyes:
No, not comforting at all when the government sites are a hack target.

I'll ask you to kindly to stop trying to read my mind, and stop making up BS out of whole cloth so you can attribute it to me. You are the one spreading misinformation about me at every opportunity.

I am not and have never have been under the impression that "as a drone pilot, I am going to be forced to join the AMA and fly by their rules"

However, what I have made abundantly clear is that the AMA heavily lobbied and advised the FAA to do just exactly that: make all drone owners join the AMA and let the AMA handle all the drone registrations for the FAA, and make all drone owners fly under AMA Rules. It's in the 211 page FAA document that no one wants to read.

So, using your terms of art, even the independent clubs across the nation, which are sanctioned by the AMA, don't even follow all the AMA Flying Rules, which are mandatory for any coverage under the AMA Insurance. Hmmmm. I guess they just get to pick and choose which ones they want to follow and which they find absurd, like I do! :p

I'm sorry that take you take exception to accuracy. But with all due respect I will continue to call you out when you attempt to misinform forum members.

Last edited:
[...] We're done here.

Finally, you got SOMETHING right, we ARE done here!

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. I can ensure you know where to find the AMA rules and explain that only what's written in the official AMA documents matter, and that everything else is opinion. But it's ENTIRELY up to you to actually both read AND understand them...

I hope someday you will, now that you know how easy it is to obtain them. It's a good first step to opening your eyes before opening your mouth and to avoid that chronic "foot-in-mouth" syndrome you're suffering from.

Remember, we're here to help, but the first step is admitting you have a problem.

Here are the links again:

Academy of Model Aeronautics
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/memanual.pdf

Oh, that's easy!! My original statement that you quoted in your message is meaningless to this conversation since we are discussing what rules the AMA publishes for it's members to operate under. And for those rules we have go to the source, which is the AMA website and the AMA manual, not some other party here-say. I'm an AMA member only, not an AMA official spokesman. Anything I say about the AMA rules is an opinion, while anything I quote from an official AMA publication IS official.

You see, Jimmy, people say a LOT of things casually and while when taken in context what they said makes some sense. So when you are trying to drill down to what the AMA rules really are saying nothing short of going straight to the source suffices. So, Jimmy, you have to be REAL careful about making strawman arguments like you did above, it makes you look foolish and if you do it enough you'll grow hair on the palms and go blind as well...

PS- the local flying field for our local club IS within the 3-mile radius of an airport and the general mindset of every club member is on that 400ft limit, which is why it's DOUBLY important to actually look at what the AMA publishes rather than the opinions of how the rules might be!
+1!

Google Maps

The red arrow shows one of the flying fields I sometimes use - notice to the left how close we are to SeaTac, just blocks away. Airliners are landing and taking off in the background to the west of us while we fly our little planes. It is a cool place to fly. Aircraft must be under 2# to and slower than 60mph to fly here.

This is very tiring to come here day after day and see the same members fighting. You guys have really got to calm down. Every thread turns into an unusable crap-fest. I am not sure what to do here. I have PM'ed a few of you asking for it to stop but it never does. Be passionate about your ideas & beliefs but don't belittle your fellow members. We are all here for the fun & enjoyment of flying. We need to unite to make positive changes. If you were about to make new laws for UAV's and you saw the discourse in this forum and the blatant disregard for authority what would you do? We can't even get together on the cause let alone along coexist peacefully in the same internet forum. It is sad to see this community treat each other the way you do. Most of the relevant posters have clammed up due to the constant discourse & noise here.

Lets try to change all that and make this place a great place for UAV owners to hang out and express ideas. It used to be like that, lets hope it can be again. ;)

If the AMA does NOT file a court case and then file for an injunction before the deadline you people are being mislead by the AMA... The FAA will want to make an example out of someone if they do not register... How deep are your pockets?

Reactions: FotoGeek
You will be in violation of (yet another) Federal Law. Neither Santa Claus nor the Tooth Fairy will visit you. You will be forced to watch the next Republican presidential debate and then do 250 hours of community service by watching C-Span.

It's not worth it.... (Not sure exactly what isn't worth it but something isn't.)

I hope that helps.

The analogy that typically gets tossed about here is the FCC's relationship with the amateur radio community. It would sort of be like the ARRL (American Radio Relay League) saying that it will control call signs and registrations. That likely would not go over well, but the FCC and ARRL have had over 100 years of working things out with each other.

Right now, the ARRL will automagically renew your FCC license (if you're a member of the ARRL) but the database is in Washington.

This really sounds like a pissing match. I don't think the AMA is going to win this one...

About ten years back, I obtained a "vanity call" from the FCC - N4PJ. When the vanity call program was initially instituted, the FCC charged a few bucks (around $20 for a 10-year license if I remember correctly). There was a lot of criticism about the fees, which have changed, but only slightly, over the years. Not too many months ago, the FCC issued notice that they would no longer charge for the vanity call.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the AMA will sway the FAA. Frankly, I'm not holding my breath. It does seem unfair that the FAA included RC airplanes as well. I thought they had enjoyed a pretty "soft" history over the years. Sigh.

If the AMA does NOT file a court case and then file for an injunction before the deadline you people are being mislead by the AMA... The FAA will want to make an example out of someone if they do not register... How deep are your pockets?

Actually there is already AMA filed litigation pending from 2014, this is just the latest chapter! A court case already exists from when the FAA announced their plans more than a year ago...

Last edited:
Actually there is already AMA filed litigation pending from 2014, this is just the latest chapter! A court case already exists from when the FAA announced their plans more than a year ago...
Is that so... What was the complaint? It's not like the FAA had a system up and running that the AMA could file in court about. Anyway, like I said if they do not file for an injunction tomarrow the AMA is leading it's members astray. Hope the individual has deep pockets as the FAA will make an example of someone.

This dead horse is looking like hamburger. but here is my LAST clarification of the Reg. As I have said many other places in this forum, do as you please but make sure you have ALL the facts.

All anyone has is the plain language of the regulation which says "purchased after December 21....register before flown" .... "Operated before December 21......regisister before February 19".

The Rules of statutory interpretation specify that if language is used in one part of the statute but omitted in another part you are to assume the drafter did not want the language inserted in the section where it does not appear.

The original language does NOT read, nor can you insert language that makes the reg read "Operated before December 21....register before February 19 [or before your first flight after February 19]."
Nothing you have stated changes the fact that it is the act of flying a drone into NAS that gives the FAA jurisdiction over your aircraft. Possession and ownership of a drone by an unregistered owner that is not being flown into NAS is not now and never will be a crime. It's that simple. No inartful language used by the FAA will change that. No fly, no reg! I can own a car without getting a driver's license. However, before I can drive it on a public road, I must get a driver's license. I can own a car without registering it. Before I can park it on the street, I must register it. However, as long as my car stays in my garage, it requires neither registration, nor a driver's license by me! Drone ownership is no different. :rolleyes:

Last chance here people... warning to follow. I can only ask politely so many times. We have reached the pobverbial last straw that broke the camels back.

Relax Modzilla, let people express themselves. Outside of physical threats of violence it's a healthy debate.

Relax Modzilla, let people express themselves. Outside of physical threats of violence it's a healthy debate.
I have not seen anything much at all healthy about any of these debates as they are shutdown in one spot and start in another .
It is getting old .
And you tell the mod to relax...he has been

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I have not seen anything much at all healthy about any of these debates as they are shutdown in one spot and start in another .
It is getting old .
And you tell the mod to relax...he has been

That's the beauty of individualism...we all have different opinions. The exact wording of these 'regulations' are very very very important.

I would luv to let that happen. Problem is with such a heated topic people tend to get emotional and irrational quite quickly. That turns into people belittling other people here, more problems, reports, etc. Also, there is a set of rules here that you agree to when joining. Some posters heated topics find it difficult to abide by those rules and then the staff needs to get involved. Now I know your new around here but I am sure you have witnessed the discourse in these types of threads. We encourage debating topics but not when it degrades into mean spirited comments. Myself and the rest of the staff have put up with quite a bit in these last week. There have been many warnings issued and most have complied by some do not and thats where we have to take action. Trust me, you wouldn't want the forum without rules as it would be pure chaos.

I would luv to let that happen. Problem is with such a heated topic people tend to get emotional and irrational quite quickly. That turns into people belittling other people here, more problems, reports, etc. Also, there is a set of rules here that you agree to when joining. Some posters heated topics find it difficult to abide by those rules and then the staff needs to get involved. Now I know your new around here but I am sure you have witnessed the discourse in these types of threads. We encourage debating topics but not when it degrades into mean spirited comments. Myself and the rest of the staff have put up with quite a bit in these last week. There have been many warnings issued and most have complied by some do not and thats where we have to take action. Trust me, you wouldn't want the forum without rules as it would be pure chaos.

I feel it will only get worse. So much passion here................

SD

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20