AMA Recommends Members To Not Register Until Deadline

It has been resolved. Nothing will change between now and 2/19. Saving $5 is not losing $5. If a person wants to wait, they can feel free to do so. Just don't think anything will change if you are not a member of the AMA.
AMA membership is completely irrelevant and a red herring in this discussion, so I completely agree with you. Nothing will change for AMA members. Everyone one is free to do as they wish. However, there is no real benefit to registering before you are required to, for anyone, unless you want to sell your Credit Card number to the FAA for $5. They will happily pay you a $5 incentive to give it to them, but only if you do it now! Does that remind you of any other high pressure sales pitches? It should! It is! :rolleyes: It's a bribe! I won't be bribed. I'll pay my $5 by any anonymous method I choose, such as a $5 gift card, when I choose to, not when it is convenient for them! Securing my personal credit card for $5 is cheap insurance.

What's your hurry and why are you shilling for them?
There's no hurry for current drone owners, but there is no benefit to waiting either. People like you are only going to waste hours of your life debating something that isn't going to change. You will do as you want with your free time though :)

Reactions: pomonabill220
Let's get a few facts straight.....
#1. As noted in my signature, I am a card carrying member of AMA and I do so because in the event I am flying within AMA prescribed flight rules, the insurance is a nice thing to have (and the magazine is pretty cool).
#2. Just because I am an AMA member doesn't mean I am an idiot
#3. To register with the FAA costs me $5 for three years and the number is generated by FAA
#4. To have a FAA custom ID number to put on your aircraft, it will cost you $50 as a one time payment (so, if you get your first 3 years registration free, in 33 years of flying you may break even).
#5. An FAA custom ID number is chosen by the AMA member and can include such "numbers" as "IFLYAMA" or "IFLYQUADS" or other such silliness. Any civilian finding these "vanity IDs" would have no reason to believe they were registration IDs and will defeat the purpose of an ID tag.

After analyzing the facts, I will forego the pleasure of providing AMA with additional money for a custom ID.
I will however comply with the FAA directive to obtain a federal registration number and attach that and my AMA Number to my quads.

Up until now, I have always put a sticker on my quads that reads "Reward Offered" and my phone number along with a QR code that included my name and address. I will remove those labels and replace them with one that reads "Reward Offered--- FAA#_________ AMA#__________." The QR code will give phone numbers to both the FAA and the AMA for return.

Saves me money and gives me 2 ways to get my quad back if it disappears + no-one gets my phone number or name without going through some hoops.

Reactions: jason and msinger
So basically......If your an AMA member, don't register yet. If your not an AMA member, register when you feel like it. Is that what I get from all this?

If your not an AMA member, register when you feel like it.
Or join the AMA now and ride their wave...

The FAA is pretty stubborn. I don't see them backing down on this rule. And, I hope they don't. If people would fly safely, then we wouldn't need rules like this. Unfortunately, it would be impossible to ensure everyone is flying safely -- so, we get rules like this instead.

This is getting really old people. On topic and non-argumentative post only please or expect a warning. Thanks.

As I understand it, I can fly all the way until Feb 19 without registration. Then take a week or two or whatever off flying, then just register before I want to fly, right?

My understanding is that it is the flying part that trigger the need for registration, not the ownership part.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
As I understand it, I can fly all the way until Feb 19 without registration. Then take a week or two or whatever off flying, then just register before I want to fly, right?

My understanding is that it is the flying part that trigger the need for registration, not the ownership part.
That is how I understand it too. New Xmas drones need to be registered before the first flight, not at the time of purchase, is how we have been instructed by the FAA I believe.

Reactions: yawnalot29
Actually the deadline is February 19 for all UAS flown prior to December 21. Immediately prior to first flight for UAS purchased on or after December 21. No extension past February 19 even if you aren't flying your UAS flown prior to December 21.
Realistically, I have no idea how anyone is going to enforce that, but that is the regulation.

There's no hurry for current drone owners, but there is no benefit to waiting either. People like you are only going to waste hours of your life debating something that isn't going to change. You will do as you want with your free time though :)

I'd like to be sure the website is secure and doesn't get hacked... like all gov't websites do. Afterall, they'll have credit card numbers in this database, not just health information. I'll wait.

Reactions: Navigator181
If you have a concern with the government having your credit card information, why not get one of those disposable prepaid credit cards to use for the registration? Personally I'm under the assumption that the NSA has already skimmed that information.

Reactions: pomonabill220
If no one registers and I mean we all have to be as one here. So if no one registers then it becomes a law that can not work. If no on complies then it cant be enforced
Is really that hard to hold off and wait.???.
They can only make this law work if we let it work. I'm not against organizing the hobby, but I am against having the government in our hobby.
And remember that the locale LAW will end up enforcing this and we all know how big a cops head can get. This is the most I have ever posted here .

Last edited:
We know my plane wont work. Because of members like you.
Haha... but, I want to be king of the hill :)

Seriously though, a majority of Phantom owners are not members here. Many more are probably going to watch the news -- which is going to tell them they need to register. It's a neat idea, but it'll never happen.

Haha... but, I want to be king of the hill :)

Seriously though, a majority of Phantom owners are not members here. Many more are probably going to watch the news -- which is going to tell them they need to register. It's a neat idea, but it'll never happen.
You got it. this is why our country is such a mess. We cant seam to all agree or pull together.

We cant seam to all agree or pull together.
If we could, everyone would understand how to fly safely and not get into situations where new rules must be created for the protection of others. I'm sure you've seen videos on YouTube. People are doing very dangerous things with their drones.

If we could, everyone would understand how to fly safely and not get into situations where new rules must be created for the protection of others. I'm sure you've seen videos on YouTube. People are doing very dangerous things with their drones.
Well that means I'm the most dang-eras man alive. :rolleyes:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4