AMA Membership

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on AMA membership for drone flying? I'm an old R/C'er and we always had AMA for the insurance. Just checking what everyone else does.

Since it is 99.8% planes, I only have it for the insurance. It is interesting to look through the magazine and read what an expensive hobby we have.

Txfirecop said:
Hmmm....sure are a lot of things they can deny insurance for.
Hah, yep! How do you think insurance companies stay in business? :D

Why would you want to join an organization that looks down it's nose at multi-rotor pilots as inexperienced, wreckless brats?

99% of the life members of the AMA are the "old guard", and thankfully their smug attitude will die out with them.

Reactions: NormanNormal
I was really looking at the insurance. I could care less what they think about the drone side of things. I think I'm going to look elsewhere for ins. Maybe my homeowners can be adjusted to fit my concerns.

If you are flying for a hobby then the AMA insurance is probably going to cover you. I say probably because the insurance details on the AMA website specifically says that you have to be flying within AMA rules, which makes flight practically impossible unless you are at one of the AMA fields and you're the only one there. Ironically, I've seen the actual policy and there is no mention of following AMA's rules or flying at AMA fields.

Covered Activity:
While engaged in hobby modeling activities involving model aircraft, model rockets, model cars, and model boats; including model operation and related activity, model construction, or maintenance, club site construction or maintenance, and participation in hobby events or shows.

Also interesting in this policy:
Aircraft Pilot or Crew
This insurance does not apply to any Accident, Accidental Bodily Injury or Loss caused by or resulting from, directly or indirectly, You or Your insured Dependent being in, entering, or exiting any aircraft while acting or training as a pilot or crew member. This exclusion does not apply to passengers who temporarily perform pilot or crew functions in a lifethreatening emergency.

Unless you're flying for a fee your home owners insurance should cover your liability. I've read the policy (most are identicle) Property, on the other hand, would have to be scheduled.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl