Am I too close to these Surfers?

I don’t believe you are a surfer. Just joking. I can imagine you with the surf board on top of your van. Lol Are the waves descent for ? in NZ?
Had to comment,,Yup NZ has some of the best ,not to keen on the onshore breaks like in the above clip cause mostly rocky in so close but heaps of good off shore surf,still have a custom short board but these days I not fancy not knowing what's swimming under my feet just waiting,not just sharks but some big elephant seals which are staunch and pretty big ,can make you paddle fast that's for sure,,another reason,I was over keen and surfed most storms and had enough of the near drowning experience,,sea water taste like crap when it comes out you nose,,me land crab now I have more sense of what's lurking out there,,we not have shark nets like other states,,it's one fear I never hope I have to deal with like this poor ladie
s-5055-wait-a-minute-i-need-to-post-this.jpg

They say they bite for taste test but that's a big bite

Reactions: John Gowland
I often film surfing and bodysurfing (check my Instagram profile @droningandmore).

Surfers are normally very excited to be tagged and to get the footage.

The rules are different in each country. Often not a problem if it is not a large group of people.

Reactions: John Gowland
How close can you get to surfers?
Also looking for advise on music for following surfers. Specific music suggestions please. I just can not find the right music to go with surfing.
This was so much fun to do.

Thanks
I came across some surfers and was concerned about getting too close or distracted surfers. So I asked ant they were cool with it. Not sure about the music.

I think the question as to how close is a function of altitude and wind speed. In higher winds, you need to back off while in clam wind you can get closer. I do think you did get a little too close in at least one situation. The issue is good video coverage requires you to get even closer than you did. I have a similar issue with coverage of sailing. IMO, you can get the best video if you select a handful of surfers (who are working with you) and cover them more closely when others aren’t present.

Very good advice Russ43Phantom, will take it on board. The only time I got scared was the guy coming towards the drone at end of the clip, I was full throttle reverse and prepared to shoot up. Turns out the wave carried him at the same speed the phantom could retreat. Gets the old ticker going a bit.

Come to think of it I will try the Mavic Zoom next. I can get *2 at 4K or even *4 at 1080. Shame we could not have the Phantom camera with a zoom!

Had to comment,,Yup NZ has some of the best ,not to keen on the onshore breaks like in the above clip cause mostly rocky in so close but heaps of good off shore surf,still have a custom short board but these days I not fancy not knowing what's swimming under my feet just waiting,not just sharks but some big elephant seals which are staunch and pretty big ,can make you paddle fast that's for sure,,another reason,I was over keen and surfed most storms and had enough of the near drowning experience,,sea water taste like crap when it comes out you nose,,me land crab now I have more sense of what's lurking out there,,we not have shark nets like other states,,it's one fear I never hope I have to deal with like this poor ladie View attachment 113481
They say they bite for taste test but that's a big bite
I used to live within walking distance of the beach on Hilton Head Island. I been stung by jellyfish, bit by a squid and had my leg bruised by a shark. I was only waist deep and hit him in the eye to get him away. Not funny.

Around the 10 second mark it looks like you MAY have flown directly over a surfer. But other than that I don't think you were too close.

. I just can not find the right music to go with surfing.

Thanks
Pipeline or Wipeout
How close can you get to surfers?
Also looking for advise on music for following surfers. Specific music suggestions please. I just can not find the right music to go with surfing.

Thanks
Pipeline by the Chantays or Wipeout but the Safaris. Both surfer instrumentals.

Are you flying under your own or someone elses ReOC?

The answer to that will depend on your answer about how close. You probably already know this, but it's 30m or exceptions can be made or granted witha ReOC. Can't help with music requests; your current track sounds very dramatic. Depends on what the footage is for and its intended audience and mood you are trying to create. Had you been partaking in a commercial flight, the permission you got, which is great, would probably turn into written/signed forms of consent...

Yeh handy if few splashes about,,other good thing they have a surge guard around base of gimble which somehow allows for a accidently quick camera dunk and survive just by c1 shaking water off,,,pretty amazing ,myself have flown in heavy rain as well and still has me buggered how no water enters cam even though it's got ribbon cables going in there,makes it very easy to see by the sea,,post Coal the phantom wet suit man,he does lot good deals for us flyers,he's good man,,if you have couple put a suit on for all weather flying ,,:),,forgot music ok for clip,,anything goes thereView attachment 113435
Would this be good to use when flying over asphalt and slurry seal being put down?

Would this be good to use when flying over asphalt and slurry seal being put down?
Um well once suit on it can't come off,,I think your better to just use a skin decal that covers most of the white shell so st least can be wiped down,the suit is neoprene ,,similar material to a divers wet suit but has smooth surface and bit harder to clean, just use a camera filler lens to protect cam lens from tar and oily residue

Reactions: horserae

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj