Am I calibrating Compass too often on P2?

Reaction score
In one of Colin's videos, he says to recalibrate if you change time zones.

I've been recalibrating every time I change locations

I was flying in the country the other day turned the P2 around and the triangle was spot on from where I took off

Changed location by 20 miles, did the compass dance, turned P2 around toward home point and the triangle is off the screen to the right and the P2 is at a 45 degree angle to me (home point)

Going to plug into assistant today to advance recalibrate to try an figure this out.

Navman said:
In one of Colin's videos, he says to recalibrate if you change time zones.

I've been recalibrating every time I change locations

I was flying in the country the other day turned the P2 around and the triangle was spot on from where I took off

Changed location by 20 miles, did the compass dance, turned P2 around toward home point and the triangle is off the screen to the right and the P2 is at a 45 degree angle to me (home point)

Going to plug into assistant today to advance recalibrate to try an figure this out.

No, you are not doing too many. I absolutely recommend compass calibration. If the triangle is off, just try another calibration or move to another location, even by just a few feet.

you could just try recalibration if your launch location is in excess of 1deg declination from your previously calibrated site.

Bmews

Compass calibration is not about adjusting for declination. The compass itself cannot detect declination. Compass calibration is about adjusting to local and regional magnetic variations. A mountainous area may have a different magnetic signature than an open plain 100 miles away.

I'm wondering if you guys disconnect the gimbal when calibrating or do you just let it "failsafe" its position during the process?

Well Duh! The reason the triangle was off is I walked away from the launch pad and the P2 was close and was pointing at the home spot.

Am I Stupid or what?? (how do I close this thread before anyone can answer) :roll:

Thank guys!

Fyod said:
I'm wondering if you guys disconnect the gimbal when calibrating or do you just let it "failsafe" its position during the process?

Disconnecting the gimbal while calibrating the compass will render the compass calibration ineffective. Anything that will be operating on the P2 should be in the same state it will be in when flying.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl