Almost lost her today...

Reaction score
Went for a quick flight around my house this evening. On power up, had constant flashing red, so I restarted the battery, and everything seemed okay. Shortly after departure, I got a Battery MCU failure (if memory serves) and then it cleared. BTW, I'm using DJI Ultimate Flight as the app. I got up to around 500' (my goal for this flight) and about 1500' out and noticed that my battery was dropping very quick. I went into emergency mode and got her back and hand-landed at exactly 1% indicated. At one point I hit -12.9 mph vertical speed at 22 mph in a sharp spiral over my house.

Sustain:
Any flight that lands safely is a good flight.
Maintained LOS at all times.

Improves:
Don't discount errors. It's probably telling you something.
When the DJI Ultimate Flight is updated, your settings (like tracks) are defaulted! (Grrrr, lost that data).

Reactions: yorlik
Glad you landed safely. I've also had the same error but without the power drain, but only when I use a non dji app. do you have any thoughts yet as to why the battery level dropped rapidly?

Regards

Haven't a clue, when I recharged the battery, it started blinking on single bar, so I know it was definitely that low. I'll likely hook it up to the computer and check the specifics of that battery.

Went for a quick flight around my house this evening. On power up, had constant flashing red, so I restarted the battery, and everything seemed okay. Shortly after departure, I got a Battery MCU failure (if memory serves) and then it cleared. BTW, I'm using DJI Ultimate Flight as the app. I got up to around 500' (my goal for this flight) and about 1500' out and noticed that my battery was dropping very quick. I went into emergency mode and got her back and hand-landed at exactly 1% indicated. At one point I hit -12.9 mph vertical speed at 22 mph in a sharp spiral over my house.

Sustain:
Any flight that lands safely is a good flight.
Maintained LOS at all times.

Improves:
Don't discount errors. It's probably telling you something.
When the DJI Ultimate Flight is updated, your settings (like tracks) are defaulted! (Grrrr, lost that data).
I have tried a number of the apps from the App Store/Google etc. NONE of them seem to work as well as the DJI Vision App. Hmmm, wonder why - it is the only one developed by DJI. When a 3rd party gets a hold of the "open source" code, modifies it in his bedroom and then puts it in the App Store - what do you expect. This is not a video game - this is for real folks. Stick with the DJI Vision application.

I lost and then found mine last week. It just took off and would not respond to commands. Found it half mile away 30ft up in a tree. Without a tracker I would have lost Phantom, always use a tracker. You never know when Phantom will malfunction.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

When a 3rd party gets a hold of the "open source" code, modifies it in his bedroom and then puts it in the App Store - what do you expect. This is not a video game - this is for real folks. Stick with the DJI Vision application.

You're in no position to make that claim. I'm sure Kenargo (as well as many others, like flyNfrank) appreciates it, however.

Flew battery #2, no issues with the bird or the battery.

Flew battery #1 (the problem battery yesterday), low and slow around the house. Not more than 10' off the ground. No issues.

Still need to check the battery status in the Assistant software, see if anything comes up. But otherwise, seems to just be an odd anomaly. As a precaution, I ran battery #2 down to 10% and back up for a full charge.

I lost and then found mine last week. It just took off and would not respond to commands. Found it half mile away 30ft up in a tree. Without a tracker I would have lost Phantom, always use a tracker. You never know when Phantom will malfunction.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What is the icon 2nd to the right from center. It turns red, then yellow just before takeoff?

What is the icon 2nd to the right from center. It turns red, then yellow just before takeoff?
I think u talking about the Wi-Fi signal icon. It was turning on the booster feature. The yellow means the booster is now boosting the Wi-Fi signal.

Last edited:
I think it is his WiFi connection level.

Batt #1 says it's has 95% of life left, so I'm not sure what caused it to discharge so quickly. Anyone else suffer a similar incident?

You're in no position to make that claim. I'm sure Kenargo (as well as many others, like flyNfrank) appreciates it, however.
I guess using 3 different ones over 100 flights and watching my iPad display melt (temporarily) does not count. I just got tired of them because they do not offer any tremendous benefit - but do have a cost in terms of: 1. Trusting a 3rd party to modify and thoroughly TEST everything, including legacy code and 2. Using an iPad app that doesn't run a "clean-up" when you close it.

I guess using 3 different ones over 100 flights and watching my iPad display melt (temporarily) does not count.

Correct, it doesn't. Using THREE of the available apps out in the wild (were they "paid" apps, or free?) and then writing off the rest of the field is hardly an objective study and doesn't not qualify your statement.

Apps don't normally make iPad displays "melt" (temporarily) to my knowledge. And once it's "melted", I'm guessing it would be unusable. I don't run Apple products, besides their stocks (THANK YOU!), so I can't comment.

I just got tired of them because they do not offer any tremendous benefit

Unless "follow me" is of interest. Or perhaps downloading a .csv of your flight. Maybe using your phantom to take HDR. Even "arching" through waypoints vs. stop and turn. "Tremendous benefit" is a subjective term, and alludes to YOUR OPINION rather than statement of fact.

In the specific case of DJI Ultimate Flight w/GS, Kenargo's efforts are very apparent with regards to his testing and upkeep. I'm sure it will taper off as the P3's are now out, but he's been very receptive of concerns and issues of user of his app. Which is more than I can say for DJI.

As the case with all 3rd party apps, YMMV.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic