Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Allowed to fly over or near persons

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drestin Black, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drestin Black

Baaa

#1 Drestin Black, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  2. JetLife

I fly over people all of the time at work. The *Difference is; They are aware that I am going to do it BEFORE I do it. I do it for a specific purpose as part of my job but; I never intentionally fly over anyone without their permission. Like so many have mentioned; it is just dangerous to do and usually not necessary.

Russ43Phantom likes this.
  3. sar104

Requiring FAA-approved design and construction, annual certified maintenance, trained and certified pilots and strict adherence to aviation regulations.

Your 5 lb plastic toy isn't.

Give it a rest - your posts are repetitive and your reasoning is flawed.

V tail, BigAl07, RunawayDrone and 2 others like this.
  4. JetLife

;) Thanks

5. Goof

Terminal velocity for a P4 is around 70-80 kilometres per hour, would you be happy about that colliding with the top of your skull? Or the skull belonging to someone in your family? FAA doesn't think so, so the rule is don't fly above people, or fly in such a manner where a motor failure could lead to the aircraft drifting over people.

These things are quality tested before they leave the factory, but then never again. Without this rule, Joe Bloggs can crash his drone into the side of a building, then try to fly it over a crowd with one motor hanging off, one good wind gust away from a hard date with the ground / someone's head.

What happens if a manned aircraft suffers crash damage, or even 'just' a hard landing? Hours of inspections by qualified personnel and reams of paperwork until people who know what they're doing can point at the aircraft and say "Yep, I can be as confident as possible in saying this plane will not fall out of the sky anytime soon"

6. sar104

No seriously - your self-entitled whining is the problem, not the responses to it. And I have no interest in policing anything to do with this subject. The additional restrictions that may arise from the behavior of irresponsible pilots such as yourself will most likely disproportionately impact recreational flying, not Part 107 operations, and so it won't affect me.

V tail and dirkclod like this.
  7. Goof

Sounds to me like the rule has kept people safe.

BigAl07 and sar104 like this.
  8. SoundByte

I look at it this way. Commercial aircraft are an integral part of our society, because they are essential to our way of life. As long as we can mitigate the risks, they will continue to be allowed in proximity to people. Drones are not essential. Society's not going to come crumbling down if suddenly there were no drones. So I don't buy the whole premise, your argument's flawed. I absolutely love flying my drone, and also find some of the rules cumbersome. That being said, I'm also a pragmatist. I know that society on whole, could care less about what we want. There are a lot more of them than us, so here we are, playing the cards dealt.

BigAl07 likes this.
  9. SoundByte

Here's the thing! Your whole philosophy's running on the assumption that this little niche you've carved out for yourself, somehow matters to society as a whole. You make your bread and butter with drones, so I can sympathize, because it's essential for you.

BigAl07 likes this.
  10. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Drestin, you don't fully understand the existing rule system and how it came about. The ONLY reason why hobbyist can do so much more than Civil/Commercial operators is because Congress screwed the pooch in 2012 trying to protect the industry. I can assure you 100% that if the FAA could impose new rules on the hobby sector they would and in a way that would make probably at least 1/2 hobby operators get out completely. With that being said I can fully envision a time in our not too distant future when Congress corrects their error and gives the FAA full reign on the hobby side of things. I fully welcome this move and hope it comes sooner than later.

Flying over people with a hobby/toy grade UAS is a horrible idea. There are no redundancy systems in place (several SINGLE failure points) and when something goes wrong the A/C falls completely out of control. To think that it will do no harm is being completely silly. To makes matters worse in this day and time of "I'll sue you for ANYTHING" it doesn't take any real "harm" but the potential for harm and let's not forget mental anguish law suits. Risk Mitigation is the name of the game and if you want to see tighter rules & regulations then lets allow some UAS to fall on the heads of some innocent people and watch how the media quickly drowns our industry out of existence.

I find your comparing flying manned helicopters to toy UAS completely hilarious and shows exactly where you think we stand in the real world. Manned Aviation is an integral part of our society and if you think UAS are remotely that important to society you really need to get out and about more. Just because we operate these as a business does not make the rest of society like, appreciate, or NEED this industry. I can assure you that UAS are VERY important to me and my family but in the real world these aren't of much importance to society no matter how great we think our #'s really are. We are adults playing with toy/hobby grade equipment and trying to act like we are the Big Boys in aviation.

Lastly lets not forget that even though our DJI phantoms & mavics etc do hold a very substantial market share of the UAS industry there are others in this industry. Some of these are are larger, faster, heavier and more dangerous than our quads and ALL of us have to abide by current regulations if under 55lbs. Remember not all UAS are white plastic toys.

V tail and sar104 like this.
  11. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Best reply yet :)

It's called a Reality Check and even though many of us put great value and priority in our UAS business we do need to stay in touch with Reality and realize we aren't the big dogs we think we are (or wish to be).

12. SoundByte

Yet another gun law analogy!! I realize you love your guns, and that trying to interfere with your right to bear arms is tantamount to me trying to keep my dog from licking his balls, but really. As much as I'd love to read another diatribe about guns, ad nauseam, ad infinitum. Gonna pass!

sar104 likes this.
  13. Drestin Black

It's ok, I'm getting the picture. This isn't an open forum, it's our way or the highway. Baaaaa I'll keep my questions/visits to purely technical from here out)

14. Drestin Black

I would ask that this thread be deleted - I'd do it myself but that feature isn't available to regular users.

15. SoundByte

In a word, yes. There are people out there, doing work that rally does matter and make a difference in the world. I don't thing you, or I, fit that category. The best we can hope for is that our children will go on to do things that matter. So, yes to you first question, and no to everything else. You don't have to shut up, or be an automaton. I’m perfectly capable of putting words in my own mouth, thank you.

16. N017RW

Locked maybe. Deleted.. hope not.

It's important to show the different perspectives and opinions on the subject.

17. Drestin Black

You'd think so... alas. Being dismissed out of hand is disrespectful and akin to censorship. Don't need that negativity, I prefer positive and forward looking convos.

18. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Censorship? WHAT???

Because I happen to work here I can't disagree with you? Come on man you can do better than that. We're just debating (and cordially) different points.

19. N017RW

Actually I refrain from commenting on your posts. Let's just say I sometimes disagree with your self-assessment.

sar104 likes this.
  20. Drestin Black

Akin to. A piling on of negative comments without even consideration for the opposing point of view doesn't feel like a debate or cordial. Review my prior posts and you'll see I backup with dialog and facts and relevant comments, not dismissal. The topic became too diluted and one sided to be useful to anyone. Your "working here" or not didn't factor into anything.