Airport security theft

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I have had a bit of a look around here for a proper list of airports and countries that have no tolerance for our hobby but I didn't find much but there were a few stories scattered around. I think there should be a list we can make for all to check out if anyone has had any horror stories in particular countries.
For instance.
I bought a 2nd hand battery from a guy in London last week. I asked him what happened to his Phantom if it had flown away or something. He told me he was on going holiday to Morocco and when he arrived the airport security took one look at his P3A told him it was not allowed and apparently just took it from him controller case and all.
I really felt for him as I have had a similar experience myself when traveling through Guangzhou (hmm strange this I wonder where they make batteries for a Phantom3?) airport in China. Before I left I checked the regulations for the airline and thought all would be ok and when I left Heathrow it was perfectly ok to take as cabin baggage my P3P and 3 batteries.
When I left china however and had to go through their security I was robbed of one of my batteries as you are apparently only allowed to have 2 with you onboard the aircraft. I was absolutely fuming with rage and nearly got slightly abusive to the security guy, but thought it better to hide my rage after I had made my point lest I wind up in a Chinese goulag.

This must be happening to people on a daily basis and we need some way to find out about these horror stories before we ourselves become a victim.
Can we open a conversation pin it to the top of the forum for all to put their stories and warnings of these incidents so that it is easily read and updated by all?
Or has this been done before?
Cheers.
Dave.

Reactions: Bryn Williams
Sorry but a lot of that information is not available. The ole saying applies " fly at your own risk" same goes when carrying a quad world wide. Some of the third world companies are smart enough to know your not going to stand there and argue long enough to mis your flight and they also work on the fear factor. A lot of the countries are cool and welcome you but agin its that 10%.

That is what I am trying to address.
You say the information isn't out there that may be true but part of it now is, If we have a place that we can all put our stories like this more information wiill be out there by definition.

1... I can tell you for sure that if you travel through Guangzhou airport don't carry more than 2 batteries.
2... If you go to Morocco beware they may take your entire setup from you.
2 Bits of information that I hope will help someone else not to loose their equipment.
All we need to do is collate this information perhaps onto the wiki for everyone to check up before they go traveling.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to find it, Could you please send me a link to this

Don't know about the 2 battery rule..

But as a suggestion.. I disconnect my P3 camera and pack it safely it in checked-in luggage. It's the most expensive component. I carry the body/controller and batteries on board. If they decide to confiscate my quad, I would try to "negotiate" and keep the batteries and controller. My argument would be that i cannot fly without the bird and i make sure you guys cannot fly without my remote.
At least I can recoup some of my losses and this makes it harder for them to steal or re-sell.

That is what I am trying to address.
You say the information isn't out there that may be true but part of it now is, If we have a place that we can all put our stories like this more information wiill be out there by definition.

1... I can tell you for sure that if you travel through Guangzhou airport don't carry more than 2 batteries.
2... If you go to Morocco beware they may take your entire setup from you.
2 Bits of information that I hope will help someone else not to loose their equipment.
All we need to do is collate this information perhaps onto the wiki for everyone to check up before they go traveling.

In 2014 the ICAO Working Group on Lithium Batteries determined that Lithium Ion batteries are dangerous and a hazard to flight. The FAA and other aviation authorities adopted the IACO recommendation of a two-battery per passenger limit.

From the FAA: [cite]
Passengers can also bring two (2) larger lithium ion batteries (100-160 watt hours per battery) in their carry-on. This size covers the largest aftermarket extended-life laptop batteries and most lithium ion batteries for professional-grade audio/visual equipment. Most lithium ion batteries for consumer electronics are below this size.

The FAA also does not allow any Lithium Ion batteries in checked baggage.​

In 2014 the ICAO Working Group on Lithium Batteries determined that Lithium Ion batteries are dangerous and a hazard to flight. The FAA and other aviation authorities adopted the IACO recommendation of a two-battery per passenger limit.

From the FAA: [cite]
Passengers can also bring two (2) larger lithium ion batteries (100-160 watt hours per battery) in their carry-on. This size covers the largest aftermarket extended-life laptop batteries and most lithium ion batteries for professional-grade audio/visual equipment. Most lithium ion batteries for consumer electronics are below this size.

The FAA also does not allow any Lithium Ion batteries in checked baggage.​
Thanks Steve.
I do remember reading that before my trip but didn't think it would be a problem because P3 Batteries are only 68Wh and like I said it was no problem whatsoever flying from Heathrow. I truly think the security guard who took mine misunderstood the regulations and doesn't know a **** thing about the different capacity of batteries but.
Q: How do you argue with a Chinese security police about international battery regulations regarding different capacity batteries?
A: You don't, for him to give in he would look foolish in front of his comrades and there is no way a western tourist knows more about his job than him.

I just wish there was some way I could have disputed it but the way the country is run it would be impossible.
Next time I Travel I will take a copy of that aviation law, at least I will have something to point at while they take my batts.

Check into drone rentals. Many countries have that available. If you do aerial video as a profession, consider shipping your Phantom (or inspire) as freight cargo ahead of you.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31