Airmap LAANC "Rejected Upon Submission"

Reaction score
I had a flight I wanted to undertake this afternoon on the fringe of Hartford's Bradley Airport's (BDL) Class C airspace. I'm new to the world of LAANC authorization, but BDL is one of the active LAANC airports. The zone where I want to fly is a 300' authorization ceiling. I use Airmap, and tried creating a flight for this afternoon at 200' for 15 minutes duration - I immediately get "Rejected Upon Submission" from Airmap when I try this. I tried using various dates and times, all with the same result. This message appears before I actually submit the flight in Airmap, so I assume it's a sanity check to make sure nothing is in blatant violation before the actual flight is submitted to the FAA. I believe everything else is filled out OK - name, phone number and all the checklist items in good state.

I tried several different LAANC airports across the country with the same parameters, and also get "Rejected Upon Submission." It appears either I'm doing something wrong here, Airmap's link to the LAANC system is down, or something else is at play. Any thoughts? I'm really disappointed, as I've had to scrub my flight this afternoon.

Have you tried using Skyward.io ? Airmap is actively trying to "steal" sections of airspace from us and then "graciously" sell it back to us in fees. NEGATIVE!!

Have you tried using Skyward.io ? Airmap is actively trying to "steal" sections of airspace from us and then "graciously" sell it back to us in fees. NEGATIVE!!

Just like the owner of AccuWeather wants to do with weather data. You want to know when that impending hurricane is going to reach you? Pay for it, sez he. So far, he hasn't been successful in monopolizing weather data.

I had a flight I wanted to undertake this afternoon on the fringe of Hartford's Bradley Airport's (BDL) Class C airspace. I'm new to the world of LAANC authorization, but BDL is one of the active LAANC airports. The zone where I want to fly is a 300' authorization ceiling. I use Airmap, and tried creating a flight for this afternoon at 200' for 15 minutes duration - I immediately get "Rejected Upon Submission" from Airmap when I try this. I tried using various dates and times, all with the same result. This message appears before I actually submit the flight in Airmap, so I assume it's a sanity check to make sure nothing is in blatant violation before the actual flight is submitted to the FAA. I believe everything else is filled out OK - name, phone number and all the checklist items in good state.

I tried several different LAANC airports across the country with the same parameters, and also get "Rejected Upon Submission." It appears either I'm doing something wrong here, Airmap's link to the LAANC system is down, or something else is at play. Any thoughts? I'm really disappointed, as I've had to scrub my flight this afternoon.
Same issue for all controlled airspace in DFW area.

Update: I logged a ticket with Airmap just to see what would shake out, and they got back with me quickly. They do have an issue with LAANC but say they are working on it.

Same issue here in Rochester NY with the iPhone & Android app for the exact same area & lower altitude that I've gotten instant authorization before. Then I hit the Submit button, it said my flight plan had been submitted and it went back to the main screen. I didn't receive any TXT msg as I have in the past, neither giving me authorization nor rejecting it.

The flight does show up when viewing "Flights"

I'm now trying it at the Airmap website but can't seem to find the special place to click to start the procedure. Maybe you can't do it via web page? Anyone?

I have used Skyward web page to do it, however it's a tad convoluted. Now I'll try their app. .... Can't find how to file a plan in the App. The website is non responsive when trying to fill out a "Plan".

I guess the Internet is bonkers tonight. Time to do something different :)

[later ...] Ok, Skyward got working again and I was able to file and received a valid authorization via the web page interface.

Last edited:

Can you expand on this a bit? This is the very first bad thing I've read regarding airmap.

Reactions: athearnsd45
Agreed on FL_Mike’s comment on AirMap. I have yet to fly my first LAANC-authorized mission and want to know the lay of the land. I did sign up for the Skyward service, but like RocUAV, find it a bit tough to get the hang of. Airmap seems very straightforward - if only it worked!

RocUAV, I believe you can only file a flight plan on Airmap through their mobile apps. I haven’t found a way to do so in their browser interface - maybe that’s a benefit of Skyward over Airmap.

Update - looks like the Airmap LAANC authorization is back up. Ironic my first try at this results in a scrubbed flight - hope that’s not typical. Of course, today’s weather was spectacular and the next few days won’t be good for flying.

Can you expand on this a bit? This is the very first bad thing I've read regarding airmap.

Airmap has supported legislation (and done so openly) that would highly restrict and confuse airspace greatly. They support 0'-200' being tightly controlled by many different entities and then "coincidentally" you'd have to go to them (via pay to play) to get your approvals. Sneaky sneaky sneaky they are.

What's sad is that AIRMAP was us... in that they were drone/sUAS operators etc who came up with a great idea and ran with it. Now they are seeing big $$ potential and are stepping all over us.

Here's an excellent podcast that hits on many of the points needed to know about this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Interesting. But frankly, as someone who is new to this Part 107 stuff, I was fairly shocked to find LAANC access free. I fully expected to have to pay some kind of subscription fee to a provider to get controlled airspace authorization. And I did notice Skyward is free only for the first 50 flights a month. I'm not likely to come anywhere near that number of LAANC flights in a month, but I bet there are some pilots who do.

I finally watched the video, and did some other research into the Drone Federalism Bill. Scary stuff, not surprising my own Senator **** Blumenthal has his hooks into this one along with Sen. Feinstein. AirMap's defense is apparently that they see this as inevitable, and their support is for the less-restrictive version of the bill (which is apparently the one that concedes that beyond 200 feet still belongs to the FAA).

Seems any anti-drone legislation gets through relatively easily. If you go on the street and ask 100 people if they support a bill that would restrict drones from flying over their property, I bet 99+ of them would say yes. I'm not convinced the drone hobby has a strong enough lobby to beat something like this back. One can only hope that surveyors, real estate firms, and giants like Amazon put their lobbying efforts to good use. Even the FAA doesn't seem like they care to exert the energy to protect their control of their airspace in this realm.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.