Airlines, checking a Phantom, Carry-on a Mavic?

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm headed to Mexico next week and need to take both my Phantom 4 pro and Mavic 2 Pro. I figured I'd check the Phantom in its hard case (no batteries) and carry-on the Mavic.

Has anyone flown to Mexico with two drones? If so, did you have any issues?

Thanks!

Flown to Puerto Rico, Costa Rica and several US cities, no issues. LiPo batteries need to go in your carry on but the TSA isn't aware of their own rules. Check the TSA website

I've found it best to check the specific airline's website regarding batteries. You would think it would be the TSA setting the rules, but like FLYBOYJ said, the TSA seems to not always know what they are regarding LiPos -- allowable watt hours, number of batteries, etc. Probably should carry a printout of the rules with you.

I've flown Delta a few times carrying 5 batteries in my backpack, the most recent 2 weeks ago -- on 9/11 no less. The TSA agent examining them didn't know the rule, neither did the other agent she asked and that agent went off to ask someone else. I knew Delta's posted LiPo rules stated that as long as the batteries were under 100 watt hours (marked on the batteries), there is no limit on the number of batteries you can carry onboard. Over 100 watt hours, you can only carry two. I'm glad the TSA agent returned with the correct information, and I went on my way. So I advise carrying a printout of the airline's rules just in case you need them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies and help! I checked American Airlines battery policy and it looks like I'll be good.

One more thing... Even though the battery terminals are recessed on the DJI batteries, it's a good idea to put a bit of electrical tape over them for safety, plus it conveys to the TSA agent that you are being careful with them. Having them each in a fireproof LiPo bag is a plus, but if you don't have those I would advise you to carry a small plastic bag for each, just in case the TSA wants them separated and not in contact with each other. I think I read of an instance where they wanted them in separate bags, so I always carry a few plastic bags with me as it's hard to find plastic bags at an airport if you suddenly need them.

I just moved up to a P4P and purchased the high capacity batteries and noticed they're getting close to the airline watt hours limit at 89.2 watt hours.

Last edited:
I'd be worried about checking your Phantom and expecting to see it on the baggage carousel when you land. I'd also be concerned using your drones in Mexico and be aware that you could be stopped by the police and asked if you "paid your drone tax"

I'd be worried about checking your Phantom and expecting to see it on the baggage carousel when you land.
Have you seen how they handle some luggage! Depending on the size of your cases, you might be able to get away with the Phantom as your carry on and the Mavic as your personal item.
1538229643685.jpg

Reactions: FlyingGary
If you're flying into Zihuatanejo be prepared to be hassled. But you're allowed two cameras according to the Customs rules. 1 What Can I Bring into Mexico: Mexican Customs Rules – The Article

I flown into Mexico City and Huatulco as well as Tampico with my drone without problems. But in zihuatanejo a rat is loose. they have taken me out of the line and gone through my drone as if it were explosives. I think the boss wants one.

Regarding baggage checking the drone case, I've done it a number of times for my work but I take extra precaution. I have a fairly large suitcase, which is within the allowable dimensions to not be considered "oversized" and subject to an additional fee. I place my hard Pelican drone case with drone (no batteries) into the suitcase, and use the rest of the available suitcase space for clothing/personal items. (Even so, I have to make sure it doesn't exceed 50 lbs.) I also wear a backpack as carry-on that contains my laptop, tablet, and a few other items. My five P2 batteries used to fit nicely into the front pocket of the backpack, but I've had to purchase a small cross body bag (man purse) to carry my now larger P4P batteries on flights as a "personal bag". But, realistically, one would need more clothing space if traveling on vacation. In that situation, I would never take anything larger than a small Spark on vacation.

We don't fly with the battery, we ship the batteries out to a FedEx/ups station near destination airport or job site with instruction to hold the shipment. We had our uav in crash proof laggage bag and check in the bag. We collect the batteries before heading to the job site.

Just got back from my second round-trip between US and Korea, carrying a P3A.

First time, on the way back into the 'States at JFK a US Customs agent wanted to check that I didn't buy the drone in Korea and went so far as to ask what I did with the drone there.

Second time, the Customs agents at JFK were busy chatting, letting everyone walk by unmolested, making me wish I carried more scotch back. But on the security line at Incheon when I was asked if I had any laptops or tablets I cheerfully said "no" and plopped the P3A box and my 35mm camera bag onto the scanner's conveyor. Then they checked the drone box twice for explosives and walked away with my boarding pass for a few minutes. Maybe it was the drone itself or maybe it was that I forgot about the iPad Mini that was in the P3A's case. Oops. Dunno. Don't care. Went basically OK except for a few minutes of "hmmm" at security.

I think I actually removed the iPad from the drone's case on the prior trip.

Funny, didn't get that much scrutiny on the way out at JFK where everyone has to remove their bloody shoes... [shrug}

Your mileage may vary!

Reactions: gringorio
I'd be worried about checking your Phantom and expecting to see it on the baggage carousel when you land. I'd also be concerned using your drones in Mexico and be aware that you could be stopped by the police and asked if you "paid your drone tax"
Drone Tax? We don' need no steenkeeng Drone Tax!

Just got back from my second round-trip between US and Korea, carrying a P3A.

First time, on the way back into the 'States at JFK a US Customs agent wanted to check that I didn't buy the drone in Korea and went so far as to ask what I did with the drone there.

Second time, the Customs agents at JFK were busy chatting, letting everyone walk by unmolested, making me wish I carried more scotch back. But on the security line at Incheon when I was asked if I had any laptops or tablets I cheerfully said "no" and plopped the P3A box and my 35mm camera bag onto the scanner's conveyor. Then they checked the drone box twice for explosives and walked away with my boarding pass for a few minutes. Maybe it was the drone itself or maybe it was that I forgot about the iPad Mini that was in the P3A's case. Oops. Dunno. Don't care. Went basically OK except for a few minutes of "hmmm" at security.

I think I actually removed the iPad from the drone's case on the prior trip.

Funny, didn't get that much scrutiny on the way out at JFK where everyone has to remove their bloody shoes... [shrug}

Your mileage may vary!
I was always afraid to fly with mine, but I went through with a couple of 7" reels of recording tape and got searched, frisked, questioned, hassled, delayed. Half of them had never seen a reel of tape before and I had to explain what it was 2 or 3 times. One even went so far as to let some of it out and hold it up to the light, trying to see the images on it (he thought it was a movie). Sigh.

I was always afraid to fly with mine, but I went through with a couple of 7" reels of recording tape and got searched, frisked, questioned, hassled, delayed. Half of them had never seen a reel of tape before and I had to explain what it was 2 or 3 times. One even went so far as to let some of it out and hold it up to the light, trying to see the images on it (he thought it was a movie). Sigh.
ROTFLMAO

You shoulda' got some video of that. Woulda' been EPIC!

Thanks everyone, the drones are here safe.

As for flying in Mexico, I've been flying drones here for Sea Shepherd for a couple years now. I usually drive into Mexico with no worries. Anyhow, we work with the Mexican navy and natural resource agencies so I've never been hassled flying here. No bribes or theats haha, but the illegal poachers sure hate the drones...

Hey everyone,

I'm headed to Mexico next week and need to take both my Phantom 4 pro and Mavic 2 Pro. I figured I'd check the Phantom in its hard case (no batteries) and carry-on the Mavic.

Has anyone flown to Mexico with two drones? If so, did you have any issues?

Thanks!

The PolarPro backpack makes it possible to carry-on both quite well. If you are interested, 119.99 at best buy, even has the little TSA approved lock

IMG_1538889441.381213.jpg

Doh... not a drone tax.. im guessing that might be some slightly dirty policia??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers