Air space over someone else’s property

Reaction score
Have looked everywhere, which looks like a grey area... does anyone know air space rules over other people’s property?? How low can I fly over someone else’s property without causing issues...

How low can I fly over someone else’s property without causing issues...
Much of this is plain old common sense. Use good judgement and you should have no issues. Don't fly close to houses...etc....if you don't want to cause possible issues. For example don't fly 50ft over someones house. There is a big difference between that and flying over at 300ft. Empty fields, farmlands and permission granted flights are different.

Much of this is plain old common sense. Use good judgement and you should have no issues. Don't fly close to houses...etc....if you don't want to cause possible issues. For example don't fly 50ft over someones house. There is a big difference between that and flying over at 300ft. Empty fields, farmlands and permission granted flights are different.

Although most know common sense is not common just unsure if there is a written rule. Thank you for your post.

This is a _slight_ grey area and it can differ slightly in every situation. Here is a good (and semi legal) rule... you can't interfere with the owners use of the land.

If the person owns a chicken farm... we have a good idea of the minimum altitude that is.

Other examples might be a vacant lot. You probably won't interfere at any altitude. Someone's home where they are having a BBQ or using the pool. Might be 200', might be 300', might be 400'. Someone might complain at 300', someone might not. These are the grey areas.

I won't get into this too much more as I think that answers your question and there are several (long) threads on this already. I'll just also mention that 1" over the grass is public airspace an the land owner technically does not own that space. They do have a right of easement to use that space (build something, put a flag pole up, etc.) but they don't own the airspace (that space with nothing in it).

What I don't think I need to go into are privacy issues. That is a much larger grey area and the information above would still apply to that. That is really _your_ issue in that _you_ need to make the judgement that you are not invading someone's privacy. This is a bigger grey area as a drone can allow for a vantage point that would not otherwise be available. You'd still need to determine if that person had some expectation regardless. Again, this would lead us into far greater legal issues.

So, how low can you fly over someone's property without causing an "issue"? You'd really need to ask this of the person who owns that property to know for sure. Lacking that, see above.

this isn't an airspace issue, it's a privacy issue. Any flight that could make someone feel like you are spying on them could be an issue, and would be the same with any aircraft. I'm doing some work for Hospitals, and they have obvious concerns about inadvertently filming through a window (HIPAA issue). Even though they own/manage the property, they legally have to protect their patients privacy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav