AHHHH BRICKED MY FC200 Camera

In order to get back up and running .. can you not just downgrade the firmware with the previous bin file ??

For those of you willing to have another go at recovering your camera please try the following "clean install":

1) Forcibly close the Vision app on your phone/tablet, set it aside.

2) If you can still access the Camera screen & Settings bar, reformat your microSD card (use the original 4GB if handy). PowerOFF Vision and remove card. If you can't access the Settings bar, put it in your computer and -delete- the firmware.bin or firmware.bin.bak file. DO NOT REFORMAT THE CARD.

3) Place card in computer, copy firmware.bin into the root directory of the microSD card. Safely eject card.

4) With PowerOFF, insert microSD into camera & PowerON Vision only - No range extender, no phone. You should see fast blinking greens, then solid. Wait 30-seconds.

5) If you get a solid green (success) PowerOFF Vision. (If you get anything else, PowerOFF Vision, wait 10-secs then PowerOn again until you get solid green).

6) PowerON Range Extender first, wait 10 secs. PowerON Vision second. PowerOn phone/tablet last. Connect phone/tablet to Phantom_1xxxxxx or Phantom_6xxxxxx. Launch Vision app and see if you've got telemetry, gimbal control, and FPV video.

Good luck,

iDrone

Reactions: SpaceCoaster
Thanks for taking the time to post that iDrone, I will give it a go when I get home and also try flashing it with some older firmware and see if that does anything

iDrone said:
For those of you willing to have another go at recovering your camera please try the following "clean install":

1) Forcibly close the Vision app on your phone/tablet, set it aside.

2) If you can still access the Camera screen & Settings bar, reformat your microSD card (use the original 4GB if handy). PowerOFF Vision and remove card. If you can't access the Settings bar, put it in your computer and -delete- the firmware.bin or firmware.bin.bak file. DO NOT REFORMAT THE CARD.

3) Place card in computer, copy firmware.bin into the root directory of the microSD card. Safely eject card.

4) With PowerOFF, insert microSD into camera & PowerON Vision only - No range extender, no phone. You should see fast blinking greens, then solid. Wait 30-seconds.

5) If you get a solid green (success) PowerOFF Vision. (If you get anything else, PowerOFF Vision, wait 10-secs then PowerOn again until you get solid green).

6) PowerON Range Extender first, wait 10 secs. PowerON Vision second. PowerOn phone/tablet last. Connect phone/tablet to Phantom_1xxxxxx or Phantom_6xxxxxx. Launch Vision app and see if you've got telemetry, gimbal control, and FPV video.

Good luck,

iDrone

The night mine bricked on me, I tried all of this and didn't help me but maybe will help other. I tried to reload firmware but would not do anything but flash yellow even after deleting the files and reloading the card and killed all power on everything to reboot but did not help. Can't say why however, the connection was made the next day although it connected but the camera went very bright and then black shortly afterwards and not recovering.
According to the call I made to DJI, they told me about the same thing for item #6 anytime powering on the system and do it always in this order. Power On the Range Extender, after a few seconds, power on the transmitter (the #6 above doesn't mention transmitter but should always be turned on prior to turning on the Phantom and turn off the transmitter always after the Phantom has been turned off?), then the Phantom Vision, than tie phone/tablet.
I did that last night, but did not help when it worked upon first starting the first time, but after that, my camera was screwed up.

So have you had it fixed or replaced ? Why I ask everwhere I look about this seems there is no fix but a replacement could just a easy firmware update brick so many phantom visions so easy ?

hotstink626 said:
Everwhere I look about this seems there is no fix.

I checked my email this morning and found the update notice for my Vision camera. Luckily I came over here before I tried to do the update. Now I think I'll just sit back and see what happens. From what I gather, all this update does is some kind of 'thingie' for RAW photos, which I currently have no use for anyway. If that's all there is, and my camera is otherwise working fine, I see no reason to jump into the fray.

Am I correct in my assumption about this upgrade?

Pretty much. Some people who were experiencing connection problems between their phones and the Vision have reported this update cures that problem, but if you are fine and dandy with what you've got and it all works for you then there's no critical "must fix" issues addressed as far as I am aware.

MrTommy said:
hotstink626 said:
Everwhere I look about this seems there is no fix.

I checked my email this morning and found the update notice for my Vision camera. Luckily I came over here before I tried to do the update. Now I think I'll just sit back and see what happens. From what I gather, all this update does is some kind of 'thingie' for RAW photos, which I currently have no use for anyway. If that's all there is, and my camera is otherwise working fine, I see no reason to jump into the fray.

Am I correct in my assumption about this upgrade?

Yes, and it may cause delayed exposure correction or some such.
Skip this version or wait for more reports, if you're not in a hurry to test RAW image capture.

Yes, if not needing RAW photos, then I would say why risk messing up something. I deal with RAW on my photos on all my other cameras, so I was excited with the RAW feature. RAW allows a lot of options in processing but if you are not into Photoshop editing, they I would stay away from this firmware for now anyway as it isn't worth the risk with no one as of yet, having a good fix for the firmware going bad yet. I returned my copter since I just recently bought it and was still an option for me, and omit the aggravation of having a bad camera and not being able to depend on using it until we know more about a true fix for this problem. I can deal with the not perfect photos for now as I can still get photos I could never get before and using my old Phantom, I could only aim where I thought would get a photo, but could not tell what was in the photo until I landed the copter and processed the photos and this one you can actually see what you are taking when taking the photos. Still better than what I had if all worked properly.

dastagg said:
iDrone said:
iDrone
...(the #6 above doesn't mention transmitter but should always be turned on prior to turning on the Phantom...
For the purpose of this exercise it's not necessary to turn on the TX/Controller, the Extender will link to the Vision & phone without it and allow you access to the camera's telemetry, gimbal, and FPV video over the 2.4Ghz link, you just won't get a HOME lock (the beacons will blink Yellow) and you won't be able to start or fly the aircraft. The TX/Controller can be poweredON anytime, but SOP suggests turning it on before Vision.

iDrone

Just tried turning everything on in order and it hasn't helped, I recorded the process to send to the shop I purchased it from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQNtE6kCnbM

I have tried two sd cards now, the one supplied with the phantom and an 8gb one, neither made a difference. The supplied 4gb card has only ever been formatted by the phantom. I also tried with the previous firmware (1.1.8) and that hasn't helped.

Seems like the wifi is all working, so don't think the camera is totally bricked.

I'd rather not turn on the repeater nor the app at all.
In fact, I think it's better to also turn off the wifi in the camera, so as it's completely idle and uninterrupted by any processes during the firmware update.

According to your video the Phantom_6xxxxxx link never gets established. This is probably because the Camera's LED never turns green, meaning it has not successfully completed initialization of its camera and/or WiFi.

On the Samsung, you can try deleting Phantom_6xxxxxx from the WiFi list (on iPhones the equiv would be "Forget this network") this removes all visible & hidden ID info associated with the original link from the phone/tablet. After removing it it might be worth trying to rebind the Vision app to the camera via QR code.

Again, simplest things first... Unplug and Re-plug the Camera's cable & press it in firmly all the way to make sure it's fully seated. The cable carries power & serial communications between the Vision's Central Board and the camera's Camera Board & WiFi Board.

iDrone

iDrone said:
dastagg said:
iDrone said:
iDrone
...(the #6 above doesn't mention transmitter but should always be turned on prior to turning on the Phantom...
For the purpose of this exercise it's not necessary to turn on the TX/Controller, the Extender will link to the Vision & phone without it and allow you access to the camera's telemetry, gimbal, and FPV video over the 2.4Ghz link, you just won't get a HOME lock (the beacons will blink Yellow) and you won't be able to start or fly the aircraft. The TX/Controller can be poweredON anytime, but SOP suggests turning it on before Vision.

iDrone
I agree, however, if you don't turn on the transmitter and the Phantom gets good signal on GPS, it is my understanding the next time you use it, it could automatically take off and go to 66 foot on it's own and then land. The instructions I refer to were mainly the order DJI recommended to turn on for normal everyday flying and wasn't necessarily meant for the firmware update. I thought that was what you were referring to also. I apologize.

iDrone said:
According to your video the Phantom_6xxxxxx link never gets established. This is probably because the Camera's LED never turns green, meaning it has not successfully completed initialization of its camera and/or WiFi.

On the Samsung, you can try deleting Phantom_6xxxxxx from the WiFi list (on iPhones the equiv would be "Forget this network") this removes all visible & hidden ID info associated with the original link from the phone/tablet. After removing it it might be worth trying to rebind the Vision app to the camera via QR code.

Again, simplest things first... Unplug and Re-plug the Camera's cable & press it in firmly all the way to make sure it's fully seated. The cable carries power & serial communications between the Vision's Central Board and the camera's Camera Board & WiFi Board.

iDrone

Thanks for your advice, I tried rebinding the app as suggested and it didn't make any difference. I also checked the cable and that seems fine. I pushed the reset button on the range extender and then rebinded the app but again, no difference.

I think I've exhausted all possible options now, unfortunately I think it's going to have to go back, I will wait and see what they say tomorrow.

Thanks again :)

Just took mine back to dealer and he wasn't sure what it was doing
funny thing is that camera connected but the video was dark and the light had gone back to green
left it with them and walked out with a phantom 2 strap on the go pro

Well, I tried again today and I am still bricked. I have been trying to get a hold of DJI and Dronefly, Neither company answers their phones and I have gotten no email responses from either. I hate this stuff.

I took matters into my own hands because I have 3 jobs this week/weekend that require that the drone works at least marginally, so I ran to best buy and bought a go pro silver 3+. I came home and made a makeshift mount using a metal hanger, some balsa and some duct tape. Guess what? it works great.

The cons - the wifi camera control is about 50 feet max and there is no gimbal, so I have to land to adjust the camera angle. It will do for now until I can get some help from these companies.

I can't wait to get this working again.

Vbluguitar if you make enough money from this job go get the phantom 2 thats what I done as I have some work coming up as well
and can't afford to loose clients you got the go pro now so put it to work
once I get the vision fixed im sure like myself
I will find a use for both.

Hey guys,
I went the same rounds back in December when I updated to 1.1.8 and bricked my camera (mine was a solid yellow light of doom). I spent waaaaaaay to much time trying to fix it myself or find someone on the net that would have a solution to my problem.

I had ZERO response from DJI through service requests, emails, phone calls, etc.

The best thing I did was take the Vision back to my retailer for repair. Although I live in a very rural part of Montana, I am lucky that my dealer, Quadrocopter.com, is only 100 miles away.

Their tech staff was as frustrated as I was, and eventually replaced my camera to get me back up and running - free of charge! They had it for about one week.

My advice is get it in the mail or hand deliver it for repairs soon. I am kinda stubborn and like to figure these things out myself - but in this case my need to be independent cost me almost a month with no camera. :?

Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1