Aggravated - Rant

Reaction score
Anyone else aggravated how people run over to you when your flying and ask a million questions then say they are getting a "drone". Nothing bothers me more than people seeing my pics or videos and they go out and buy one without having any RC Experience and crash and then complain. People think these machines are a toy and they can just send them up in the sky and fly around with their eyes closed. This is the reason why there is bad media with this hobby! Idiots with money who are cocky and think they know what they are doing when they do not! When is this going to end?! Buy a **** sim! That's what I tell everyone, get a sim for $200 like realflight and then drop 1,000+

I used to fly in my neighborhood a fair amount and I would always have someone stop and ask a million questions. Them wanting to buy one isn't what bothers me. Having to land until they leave so I can enjoy my flight is what did. If I fly in my neighborhood now, I do so from my fenced backyard.

Whats wrong with people being excited about the hobby? I was that same way. I saw one and said I was going to buy one. I bought two and they sat in my living room untouched until I had scoured the web for information and read a bunch of threads on this forum. I must just be an idiot with money who is a bit cocky.

Whats wrong with people being excited about the hobby? I was that same way. I saw one and said I was going to buy one. I bought two and they sat in my living room untouched until I had scoured the web for information and read a bunch of threads on this forum. I must just be an idiot with money who is a bit cocky.

Did the same as you. My first Phantom sat in its case for weeks while I practiced with the X5C and read, read and read.

Nothin wrong with that i did the very same it took ages to go fly i had my phantom a longtime before it left my room

I like when people come over to ask about the Phantom and look at the screen. Like you said, most are very impressed. I try hard to be a good ambassador.

Reactions: JoBe and fhagan02
Anyone else aggravated how people run over to you when your flying and ask a million questions then say they are getting a "drone". Nothing bothers me more than people seeing my pics or videos and they go out and buy one without having any RC Experience and crash and then complain. People think these machines are a toy and they can just send them up in the sky and fly around with their eyes closed. This is the reason why there is bad media with this hobby! Idiots with money who are cocky and think they know what they are doing when they do not! When is this going to end?! Buy a **** sim! That's what I tell everyone, get a sim for $200 like realflight and then drop 1,000+

Better to educate then blow them off.

Reactions: Cyclone and Oso
No I educate them, don't get me wrong. They just aren't easy to fly and people hurry to get them, don't read the manual and then crash them and have no idea why. More people need to be educated about how much there is to them and how to safely operate them. I tell guys to go on this board and learn before they fly to so they know common problems, etc so they can learn from others unfortunate mistakes. Around my area in Massachusetts people are buying them and people are getting really hurt and it's a shame. They go out and fly a few times them whack people in a parade, wedding, etc. makes us look bad is all

No, I'm in the same boat with you too. I have four quads, a micro, one a tad bigger than a micro, a Blade 350 and a Phantom 3 Pro. The tiniest one is damned near unflyable - guess I'll have to get some kid to show me how it's done! The little-bit-bigger one has SAFE technology and I can pretty much fly it all over the house - though I had to learn with a lot of expo on the sticks. Both the Blade and the Phantom - I had read each manual a dozen times before I ever got them.

One of my fears isn't so much the questions - I wouldn't begin to trust just anybody to try to fly one of them. A momentary slip and your bird could be toast. With RC planes it isn't too difficult to have a buddy system - there are options for either a physical connection or wireless - but I've not seen anything like this with either the Blade 350 or the Phantom 3.

you could blame dji and all the resellers who sell them with the motto that they are "ready to fly" and never tell their buyers they need to read the manual, update firmware, calibrate the compass, etc..

you could blame dji and all the resellers who sell them with the motto that they are "ready to fly" and never tell their buyers they need to read the manual, update firmware, calibrate the compass, etc..

You're right. Remember Walt Kelly, the creator of Pogo? "We have met the enemy and they are us."
I've had a lot of fun with my quads already. A good camera made all the diff in the world. The other aspects - racing, aerobatics - bore me silly.

Nothin wrong with that i did the very same it took ages to go fly i had my phantom a longtime before it left my room

My Phantom 1 sat for over a month before I took it out for a flight. I started with an iPad and a Parrot Quad copter from Brookstone. Then I saw a Youtube on the DJI Phantom 1 and I was hooked.

One thing that bugs me is the word newbie or amateur. Everyone has to realize we didn't pop out of the womb ready to fly. We were all Newb's or amateur in the beginning. Hell my first plane was a line control gas piper cub. Took it out by myself. Didn't ask anyone anything. Started her up and was 5 seconds before it was a pile of plastic. LOL Yes they all need to read the manual and ask questions. Perfect world they would go hang with an experienced flier and learn but it's not a perfect world. I just prefer to call them New to the Hobby. Ya'll gotta remember your roots. If we bash all the new people instead of trying to educate then our hobby is doomed. We need numbers to survive.

Write ( BIO ) then under that ( TEAM ) then under that ( CAUTION ) then under that ( STAND BACK ) on the back of the vest.
Safety Glasses a Must sun glass style no eye contact.
If you have one? a Cigar Butt on one side of your mouth. (Not Necessary butt :) works)
Don't forget a Small Orange Cone.
A little Butt crack helps too.
vest.jpg

In The End your around People so your most likely just doing practice runs.
If you were doing a Pro Shot thats different.
Never know who you meet!

Last edited:
Yes, it's nerve racking as hell when people get close to me when I'm flying. I try to land as soon as possible, take the props off then educate them about our hobby. It's even worse if I'm wearing a FD shirt. But if we all educate a few we will be better off in the long run.

What aggravates me more is the stuck-up attitude of people who consider themselves experts and don't want to be bothered by others. My local RC club is this way to the max. They absolutely shun anyone flying a quad. Unless you are flying a fuel-based machine, and have been doing so for years, they don't want you around. Their attitude is that you have not paid your dues by learning to fly something that is extremely difficult to fly. Even our local hobby shop is completely geared around the old guard - which probably explains why they are down to one retired guy who opens the shop periodically and does know crap about quads. The beauty of the new generation of quads is that more people can enjoy them. Maybe you should fly someplace where people don't bother you rather than complain about them wanting to know about something that is seriously cool. Or maybe complaining is part of the fun for you.

Lol. Exactly.
I have a wife like the op...everybody is stupid and nobody does it right. Lololol
stop being a snob and expecting the world to be just like you.
To most of us it is an expensive toy that can be flown easily with some youtube videos and reading the manua .
This is one of the first rc aircraft produced to be accessible to the masses and NOT need a massive learning curve. It is what it is

Calm down

I have no problem talking to people. It's nice to have people show interest in what you enjoy. Go fly in a remote area if you don't wish to be bothered. Not sure what you expect when you're controlling a flying object in an area full of people.

Last edited:
Nothing bothers me more than people seeing my pics or videos and they go out and buy one without having any RC Experience and crash and then complain. People think these machines are a toy and they can just send them up in the sky and fly around with their eyes closed. This is the reason why there is bad media with this hobby! Idiots with money who are cocky and think they know what they are doing when they do not! When is this going to end?! Buy a **** sim! That's what I tell everyone, get a sim

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.