After market batteries, any good?

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Powerextra batteries that Amazon sells? I am skeptical of anything that is not DJI.

Has anyone tried the Powerextra batteries that Amazon sells? I am skeptical of anything that is not DJI.
They can void your warranty if something goes wrong. Personally, I will not run the risk and only use DJI. I think the most I've ever paid was around $109. My local Target store was selling off their remaining inventory of P3 batts last year so I grabbed 3 for $75 each.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
They can void your warranty if something goes wrong. Personally, I will not run the risk and only use DJI. I think the most I've ever paid was around $109. My local Target store was selling off their remaining inventory of P3 batts last year so I grabbed 3 for $75 each.

ONLY if the damage / crash is attributed to using the 3rd party battery ... that is what the DJi Service Centre told me when I had my P3P repaired after FW bricked it ... made no difference to the claim that I had a 3rd party battery in it at the time.

Reactions: 3rdof5
I have 3 PowerExtra batteries all from Amazon. Never had a single problem and still use all of them regularily. Two are 2 years old and the other is a year old. The only difference is the LEDs are not as bright on the PowerExtra’s.

Chris

I personally would not take the chance to save a few dollars especially as much as drones cost. Severalposts here support that.
Thanks
Jin
WA5TEF

I personally would not take the chance to save a few dollars especially as much as drones cost. Severalposts here support that.
Thanks
Jin
WA5TEF
This subject has been debated extensively in the past. I've seen several horror stories out there involving non-DJI batts. I've only paid slightly more for genuine DJI vs. the aftermarket. At $149 retail I can why some people would risk it. The most I ever paid was $109. Not worth the risk.

ONLY if the damage / crash is attributed to using the 3rd party battery ... that is what the DJi Service Centre told me when I had my P3P repaired after FW bricked it ... made no difference to the claim that I had a 3rd party battery in it at the time.
I think rep at the service center can pick and choose as they see fit, but the after sales terms and conditions provide for them to refuse warranty service. Here's a line from that policy on what they will not cover:
× Damage caused by reliability or compatibility issues when using unauthorized third-party parts.

This can be interpreted several ways. I can understand how difficult it might be to connect a FW update to a third-party battery, but what about some other failure in flight?

Pretty sure that case will not go as well as yours.

I think rep at the service center can pick and choose as they see fit, but the after sales terms and conditions provide for them to refuse warranty service. Here's a line from that policy on what they will not cover:
× Damage caused by reliability or compatibility issues when using unauthorized third-party parts.

This can be interpreted several ways. I can understand how difficult it might be to connect a FW update to a third-party battery, but what about some other failure in flight?

Pretty sure that case will not go as well as yours.
To the extent they might elect to pick and choose there are limitations. No manufacturer warranty can operate to modify a consumers statutory rights. Simply put- if DJI cant reasonably demonstrate the aftermarket battery caused or directly contributed to the loss they cant refuse to honor a warranty claim. They might try but will fail to sustain their position if challenged.

Reactions: Brojon
I have two Powerextra batteries and 3 DJI batteries. When flying I don't see any difference, but I have found that they don't self discharge after being set to do so, and I find the sensor on the drone continues clicking even after the battery is powered down.
Powerextra did offer to replace them but unless they are now updated I don't see the point of replacing like for like.

It also depends on where you bought the item and where used. If you bought from an EU resident dealer - then your rights are far greater than for example USA.

Also if anyone cares to read DJi Warranty sheets ... some of the text is quite open to wide interpretation.

Words such as :

1. DJI takes no responsibility for any damage caused by non DJI Batterys.

2. Page 18 P3P .... Refer to Phantom 3 Professional / Advanced Intelligent Flight Battery safety Guidelines before use. Users take full responsibility for all operations and usage.

Just examples of wishy washy wording ...

If OEM DJI batteries are anything like some camera batteries, they often contain proprietary firmware that 3rd party batteries do not have. This can ultimately have an adverse effect on performance and communication between the the battery and the device in which it is being used. I say “if” because I don’t know if the DJI batteries have firmware, but I believe it is something to consider.

If OEM DJI batteries are anything like some camera batteries, they often contain proprietary firmware that 3rd party batteries do not have. This can ultimately have an adverse effect on performance and communication between the the battery and the device in which it is being used. I say “if” because I don’t know if the DJI batteries have firmware, but I believe it is something to consider.
Most definitely have firmware

I bought two non-oem Phantom 4 Pro batteries from Battnation on Ebay in August 2018. The case is slightly different from DJI OEM batteries, so I always was aware of which battery I was using. One of the batteries only worked for a few flights and I could not get it to charge again. I tried everything I could think of to get it restarted, refreshed, by doing google searches. To battnation's credit, I did get a full refund. The other battery continues to work fine.

It also depends on where you bought the item and where used. If you bought from an EU resident dealer - then your rights are far greater than for example USA.

Also if anyone cares to read DJi Warranty sheets ... some of the text is quite open to wide interpretation.

Words such as :

1. DJI takes no responsibility for any damage caused by non DJI Batterys.

2. Page 18 P3P .... Refer to Phantom 3 Professional / Advanced Intelligent Flight Battery safety Guidelines before use. Users take full responsibility for all operations and usage.

Just examples of wishy washy wording ...
Good point. At the end of the day DJI can stand firm and simply refuse to repair or replace anything under warranty. They hold all of the cards. Regardless of how the pilot may feel, nobody is going to be able to force them into anything they don't want to do.

This subject has been debated extensively in the past. I've seen several horror stories out there involving non-DJI batts. I've only paid slightly more for genuine DJI vs. the aftermarket. At $149 retail I can why some people would risk it. The most I ever paid was $109. Not worth the risk.

Where did you buy these at that price? Thanks

Where did you buy these at that price? Thanks

The one I found for $109 was on Amazon. I just tried the "Buy It Again" link from my order history and it came back No Longer Available. Sorry I couldn't help you there.

But do try your local Target. I found 3 for $75 each as they were phasing out their P3 inventory and accessories. This was maybe 6 months ago. Each store seemed to vary as the other store just 3 miles away was still selling them for $150.

Reactions: DavidGnew
The one I found for $109 was on Amazon. I just tried the "Buy It Again" link from my order history and it came back No Longer Available. Sorry I couldn't help you there.

But do try your local Target. I found 3 for $75 each as they were phasing out their P3 inventory and accessories. This was maybe 6 months ago. Each store seemed to vary as the other store just 3 miles away was still selling them for $150.

Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl