AFTER FALLING INTO THE OCEAN

Reaction score
It was rinsed in fresh water within a half hour, totally. Blow dried with compressed air. Put in a bag with rice, into the warm oven for hours. Taken out, repeat blow drying, then sprayed silicone throughout, complete! Taken apart, not completely but the camera was removed for cleaning and cable reassertion after cleaning.
Guess what? IT FLIES! 90% CONTROL. The camera works but no control so I hot glued into position. Not perfect at all. Instead of making movie quality films, it is now more of 3rd quality documentation. I'm trying first time in a few moments with more hot glue.
If it were sent in to the shop, it would be around $850 to be new again. (I don't believe they actually repair anything). This is the second time one fell to the ocean, that did cost $850, and the wife is still pissed off.

You do realize you could have just replaced the gimbal motors and controller, right? Or the gimbal itself.

I am learning, and don't know enough about it. Directions would be good. You are probably correct, no doubt. But who even knows what will happen since it was in salt water, as corrosion may be slowly going on. So, where would I get the inf. needed? I just flew it. Kind of noisy, battery didn't seem to run as long, video a photos are not as clear. Thanks for the reply...
DJI_0022.JPG

What's the reason you drop your Phantoms into the ocean twice

“... but following some thing I saw, said to push the battery in from the top front....” (from original thread).

You also DID push in from the bottom as well to make sure BOTH tabs were latched, I hope.

As I have pointed out before, MOST of the electronics on the Phantoms can handle brief immersion in water MOST of the time. It's not exactly a good idea to do this but it is also not the end of the world. The camera / gimbal is the weak link when you try to play submarine. Well that and the battery. The motherboard / motors can tolerate water amazingly well. I have a small ROV that spends hours in salt water and has three exposed hobby grade UAV motors. The electronics are sealed. I've used this for now over a year and the motors and going fine.

Remember as well, in the olden days of PCB board manufacture, they were routinely placed in devices that look amazingly similar to your washing machine for a cleanup prior to assembly.

So, all the things the OP did he did correctly - rinse copiously. Dry (I'm not sure of the rice thingy, I just blast everything off with an air hose). Test/

Would be nice to have a waterproof gimbal / camera. There is a kickstarter that is doing exactly that. Something that you could fly out to a pod of whales and then drop in the water to get some submerged pix would be neat. Would have to modify the Phantoms a bit though. They sink like rocks (ask me how I know).

Reactions: K Henry
As I have pointed out before, MOST of the electronics on the Phantoms can handle brief immersion in water MOST of the time. It's not exactly a good idea to do this but it is also not the end of the world. The camera / gimbal is the weak link when you try to play submarine. Well that and the battery. The motherboard / motors can tolerate water amazingly well. I have a small ROV that spends hours in salt water and has three exposed hobby grade UAV motors. The electronics are sealed. I've used this for now over a year and the motors and going fine.

Remember as well, in the olden days of PCB board manufacture, they were routinely placed in devices that look amazingly similar to your washing machine for a cleanup prior to assembly.

So, all the things the OP did he did correctly - rinse copiously. Dry (I'm not sure of the rice thingy, I just blast everything off with an air hose). Test/

Would be nice to have a waterproof gimbal / camera. There is a kickstarter that is doing exactly that. Something that you could fly out to a pod of whales and then drop in the water to get some submerged pix would be neat. Would have to modify the Phantoms a bit though. They sink like rocks (ask me how I know).

Thank you for the best reply! I feel better knowing that, at least, I've done the right thing so far. The sensors must've gotten wet too, as I had turn them off because of incessant beeping. New camera and gimbal it is..If it's worth the $$$.
Thanks again, Keith

A BIG BIG Thank you dirk clod.....i'm with YOU 100%....its The USA But Cheers anyway.....My family and grand kids read this with me !

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl