Into the ocean...again!

I would look into some insurance. I personally have state farm. $75 a year here in FL and I'm covered for total loss or theft. That's about $25 less than a piece of colored neoprene.

Right now you have an operable aircraft. Do not lie about ANY question asked when you insure it.

I also wouldn't invest any money into this AC. The only real hope of saving it for reliability has long passed.
Purchasing insurance on a damaged item will do no good. Soon it's just not going to start up. That's not a viable claim. It's not lost or stolen.

People also need to be reminded filing insurance claims have lasting consequences when trying to obtain insurance in the future, regardless of what kind. All of the companies out there use the same database to look for claim history. And any claim, regardless how small it seems, is a claim and will come back to haunt you in higher premiums.

This is an excellent post. Thank you for writing it. People who make false claims to insurance companies are despicable, and cause us all to pay higher premiums in the end.

Up here in Canada it is almost impossible to find an insurance company that will cover a Quadcopter for anything, let alone liability.

On another note regarding insurance, people that openly admit to breaking the law by flying at night where it is prohibited by law, are working against all honest law abiding Quadcopter owners. Insurance companies see this sort of thing and just wash their hands of us.

Bud

Purchasing insurance on a damaged item will do no good. Soon it's just not going to start up. That's not a viable claim. It's not lost or stolen.

People also need to be reminded filing insurance claims have lasting consequences when trying to obtain insurance in the future, regardless of what kind. All of the companies out there use the same database to look for claim history. And any claim, regardless how small it seems, is a claim and will come back to haunt you in higher premiums.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I'm a land mammal and so is my drone. I work across the street from the beach and could fly there anytime I want on my lunch. No chance.
Yup. I've been doing this for 5 years with two different Phantoms. About once a year, I get brave and go out over some water for a few moments. But I know that IF there's going to be a failure of any kind, it will wait until it's over water, a high cliff, a deep hole, etc. It's just how life is. :)

My wife asked me the same thing; why would anybody in their right mind want to fly in the rain anyway? Assuming the shell is protected, that does nothing for your camera and gimbal, the most expensive components to replace. INSANE!

I wish i could be part of the band wagon about not flying in the Rain : Tell you all the DEMONS about how it destroyed the camera, how it left spots on the lens, , how there is a strange mold growing, or a film on the lens, but I cannot.

2 years of flying in the Rain, Snow, Hail, even being submerged in the lake and out, the Camera is still Flawless.
This is also one of the reasons why we never bothered to try to protect the camera, there was no need.

As we get ready to release are New Product the Phantom Rain Rescue Jackets we are submerging the drone in the Water every day.

The gimbal and the Camera are not the issue, the camera was made to be water resistant , if you open the camera up you will find that the lens is sealed inside the unit.

So when you get caught in the rain, dont pray to the Camera gods, pray to the battery fairy. lol
Without a Good seal on the Battery flying in the rain is a definite risk.

Once you have the Battery sealed, the Props sealed an the side vents sealed , the fear of flying in the rain is gone.

keep in mind that we fly over the lake or in the rain almost every single day not to mention the river.

Sometimes storms happen when you least expect it :

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor
Allowing you to fly in and out of the storm.

Updates coming on the Phantom Rain Rescue Jackets soon.

I fly over the Pacific mostly, so you have my sympathy. One of my p3ps is like yours. I plan to make some money on it by going to the coastal rifle range and charging twenty a shot to shoot me out of the sky (rifle only)...they'll get a bang out of it and I'll score $$$$
Well, good luck with that. Either you make enough for gas to and from (one shot and it's down), or you get no takers (too far away, don't like your rules). Odds are, if they are anything like the guys I shoot with, the former is the most likely.

Next thing you have to be careful of is if the range lets you carry out this fiasco. My club only allows steel and paper targets. Anything else can get your membership revoked. Not a good idea.

Only following up on elent1's post, hope this thread doesn't devolve....

Reactions: Matchlock
I would look into some insurance. I personally have state farm. $75 a year here in FL and I'm covered for total loss or theft. That's about $25 less than a piece of colored neoprene.

Right now you have an operable aircraft. Do not lie about ANY question asked when you insure it.

I also wouldn't invest any money into this AC. The only real hope of saving it for reliability has long passed.
Hey Mike I contacted State Farm and asked them about insurance on my drone and was told they won’t do it as a lost item claim, I was told that my home owners would cover it if I ran it into the house or if it got stolen from my vehicle.

Ouch for your craft, the salt will eventually do it in as even if you rinse it well it's still a bit in there. I would only fly this bird over water or bush from now on and if it dies you lost a card and a battery.
I fly over water almost every time I take my craft out, If my P4 would ever take a high dive I have a getterback on it so in soft water I would stand a chance to recover if less than 100 feet (line length of getterback) in salt water I would try recover to get my sd card back and try to save the craft for future risky flights with no danger to others. Some place I fly if it goes down I would not even attempt a recovery.

The ocean is a great place to fly, no interference and no obstacles to hit.
Falling from the sky can easily be fatal for a drone regardless of whether it's water or solid ground down below.

At least If your drones falls on land and its caused by a "product malfunction" during warranty...you can pick up the many scattered parts and send it to Dji for evaluation and Hopefully you will get a refurbished or a new drone...if you fly over the ocean and it falls to the water its a goner !

I wish i could be part of the band wagon about not flying in the Rain : Tell you all the DEMONS about how it destroyed the camera, how it left spots on the lens, , how there is a strange mold growing, or a film on the lens, but I cannot.

2 years of flying in the Rain, Snow, Hail, even being submerged in the lake and out, the Camera is still Flawless.
This is also one of the reasons why we never bothered to try to protect the camera, there was no need.

As we get ready to release are New Product the Phantom Rain Rescue Jackets we are submerging the drone in the Water every day.

The gimbal and the Camera are not the issue, the camera was made to be water resistant , if you open the camera up you will find that the lens is sealed inside the unit.

So when you get caught in the rain, dont pray to the Camera gods, pray to the battery fairy. lol
Without a Good seal on the Battery flying in the rain is a definite risk.

Once you have the Battery sealed, the Props sealed an the side vents sealed , the fear of flying in the rain is gone.

keep in mind that we fly over the lake or in the rain almost every single day not to mention the river.

Sometimes storms happen when you least expect it :

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor
Allowing you to fly in and out of the storm.

Updates coming on the Phantom Rain Rescue Jackets soon.
I like how people post to you. You did a great job explaining how the rainsuit works. You have posted amazing video in the past flying in the worst conditions. I have come to the conclusion most can't comprehend the words, or just can't believe what they are seeing. I fly over water alot and look forward to you new product. Not sure I would fly in the rain, but it is great to see there is a product that give me that choice to make for myself. Keep up the great work!

Gee when flying over water.......don't it all look the same !
what am i missing here ?

When flying over land the views are all very different...and are different times at changing during the times of the day as the suns shadows move around its continually looking different....you sure can't say that about water LOL (shadows)

what am i missing here ?

When flying over land the views are all very different...and are different times at changing during the times of the day as the suns shadows move around its continually looking different....you sure can't say that about water LOL (shadows)

I fly over water frequently. At the beach flying over water sometimes gives the best shot of the land.

what am i missing here ?
There's a lot more to look at from the sea than just water.
I fly at sea because of the photographic opportunities. Here are just a few examples to start you off:
628-730a-XL.jpg

DJI_0948a-XL.jpg

DJI_0306-364b-XL.jpg

DJI_0164aa-XL.jpg

693-73a-XL.jpg

DJI_0412-18Ca-XL.jpg

DJI_0928-43a-XL.jpg

DJI_0862a-XL.jpg

Now what was it you were saying?

I 100% Withdraw my words above LOL.......THATS absolutely BEAUTIFUL... when a drone owner says i fly out over open water....All i see IS open water No pleasure boats or fishing boats JUST OPEN Un cluttered wate smooth water !.....BUT your pictures has opened my peeps to what you and the guys that fly out their are talking about.......I know that some may fly out far in open water and Not a thing out their But not like these pictures Meta4.....THANK YOU. (Caps are sure not yelling its because its a High Lite in text as in my actual speaking Thanks )

I 100% Withdraw my words above LOL.......THATS absolutely BEAUTIFUL... when a drone owner says i fly out over open water....All i see IS open water No pleasure boats or fishing boats JUST OPEN Un cluttered wate smooth water !.....BUT your pictures has opened my peeps to what you and the guys that fly out their are talking about.......I know that some may fly out far in open water and Not a thing out their But not like these pictures Meta4.....THANK YOU. (Caps are sure not yelling its because its a High Lite in text as in my actual speaking Thanks )
That's OK ... Kansas is a long way from he sea so you probably don't get to see a lot f it.

I fly over water 80% of my flights.It is where I live and the rest is woods so the water has better scenery.Yes water and land are bad to crash any crash is bad.Water you can't recover drone so Dji will tell you stuff luck.It is a gamble so get insurance from state farm they cover both my p4 and Obsidian for less than $5.00 a month.It is $1,500 policy and it can be used to replace either drone!That is awesome deal but you can't crash them both at same time.lol.I lost drone in water did not recover Dji offered to split the cost of a new one so that was pretty cool.They did not have to offer anything.But since I do searches with drones and purchased 8 of them now they gave me small break.

Gosh @K Henry should add one of these to the fleet,mind find cheaper one around,at least this baby is waterproof ,only good for 1km,that's the drawback or I would have one,I fly lot around and over water
Screenshot_20180930-201222.jpg
must say I still worry a bit when over water,just have to trust you equipment and drone,if it goes in,oh well , could happen anytime anywhere,being water or land ,brand new or old, if I did lose one to the ocean the next would get filled with polystyrene inside shell so it floats,,
Have to add man @Meta4 those boat shots are just stunning

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj