Phantom 3 crashed into the ocean

It's well known to people who use Atti that it does get and keep your Phantom up to speed faster. On my p2 and p3 Atti mode consistently allows me more speed in all flying conditions and directions I have used it in. You can even test this in the DJI flight simulator which also reflects the change. Also check out people's long range flight videos and whenever they do an Atti mode switch you always consistently see their speed move up along with that switch. There's really little debate to be had that if you are in a bit of a crunch and need to get your phantom moving up to speed faster then Atti is the way to go.

I don't have the b**** to try it BUT I always wondered:

If you're let's say a mile away and don't have the P3 in site... if you switch to ATTI the drone no longer is holding its position w/ GPS. Isn't there a chance the drone would/could drift away or do you simply keep your eyes on the map? Would you still see the route that you took when flying in GPS mode which you can then use to guide the drone back to you?

Sorry if this seems like a newb question, but I'm a newb :)

Yes, P3 will drift with any wind, but it doesn't turn off it's GPS reception. It's position will update on your map, and of course you can see the drift through your camera, and yes, you can then steer it back to you via the home course line on the map. Just like in P-mode, if the P3 drifts far enough away and loses reception from your controller for more than five seconds, it will RTH automatically. (If you have that option selected vs landing).

I don't have the b**** to try it BUT I always wondered:

If you're let's say a mile away and don't have the P3 in site... if you switch to ATTI the drone no longer is holding its position w/ GPS. Isn't there a chance the drone would/could drift away or do you simply keep your eyes on the map? Would you still see the route that you took when flying in GPS mode which you can then use to guide the drone back to you?

Sorry if this seems like a newb question, but I'm a newb :)

As long as you're pointed in the direction you need to return to and pushing the throttle hard I wouldn't worry too much about wind pushing you the wrong way unless it's an overwhelmingly powerful wind. You will still see the line as you would normally flying in Position hold mode so that's not a problem. And in the event you loose control signal for more than 3 seconds you will still enter RTH mode as you would normally.

Everything is a learning opportunity. The posts above are good and it is very clear that you learned from it. You won't make the same mistakes again.

If you can afford another, go for it. You can't take money with you when you die. If flying makes you happy, I'd spend it. I'm so sorry for the loss. I previously flew RC airplanes. I built a beautiful Japanese Zero. On my third flight, I was going to do a Split S. While the Zero was rising, I lost all radio control. Last time I saw it, it was heading Northeast at high speed. Never found it. So, I built another!

If you are going to do long distance flights, might look at a Trackimo GPS tracker. All the best for you in the future.

I think the only thing that edges out my fear of putting (another) P3 down, is not being able to retrieve it based on conditions. Heavily wooded areas would be tough, but I guess a tracker could assist here depending on how deep the woods are. But what about in this case - you put it in the ocean - let's say currents, deep water, etc.... is there some type of flotation that can be attached to the landing gear. Granted the P3 would be ruined, but at least you'd be able to get it back and get it repaired (or replaced if you've got a warranty)...thoughts?

I think the only thing that edges out my fear of putting (another) P3 down, is not being able to retrieve it based on conditions. Heavily wooded areas would be tough, but I guess a tracker could assist here depending on how deep the woods are. But what about in this case - you put it in the ocean - let's say currents, deep water, etc.... is there some type of flotation that can be attached to the landing gear. Granted the P3 would be ruined, but at least you'd be able to get it back and get it repaired (or replaced if you've got a warranty)...thoughts?

Use a product called GETTERBACK...
http://www.robotshop.com/en/getterback-uav-recovery-system.html

Stilgar

/An 18 year old boy who recently lost his dearest toy

i didnt read the 7 pages of responses...
i think that

- a phantom 3 is not a toy
- its stupid to fly 7.7 km into the sea at night, specially if you only flown your p3 for 2 weeks.

that been said i guess you learned the lesson and if you have the money buy a new p3 and have some fun.

That is crazy! Awesome idea if it works that well. What about the float though...can't tell from the video, but wonder how large & visible that thing is say if you had to drive a boat 1/2 mile to it?

Float is small. Maybe 1/2 inch X 2 inch...but...better than nothing....

I have seen that Getter Back. Made for fishing gear but works on drones. Finding a drone in the ocean is **** near impossible. They couldn't find a 777 with the world looking for it.

I have seen that Getter Back. Made for fishing gear but works on drones. Finding a drone in the ocean is **** near impossible. They couldn't find a 777 with the world looking for it.
I flew mine off shore off the beach in FL. 1 1/2 miles, 11pm, 300'. Turning around and seeing the far off condos was a thrill. A $ at risk thrill, but losing it would have been really bad luck.

Yes INTO THE WIND, that will save your bacon in powered paragliding, and anything similar. It can EASILY and OFTEN be the difference between making it back and not. It's even more important than it sounds. A 10 kt wind, returning with it vs against it is a 20 kt ground speed difference. Plus in a given amount of time, you won't be able to get as far away as with the wind.

A very important airplane thing to know: For maximum glide, reduce your best glide speed by 1/2 the tailwind speed, down to the minimum sink speed, which won't be 5 kts under your best glide.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20