After crash, gimbel keeps going up & down

Reaction score
Hit a tree branch that sent p4p to the ground. 1 broken prop, battery popped out, and now camera keeps going up & down on the Gimbel. Camera works, as does the drone... but this obviously renders it useless.
I haven't tried calibrating anything through the app yet.
Thoughts or suggestions?
Thank you

Hit a tree branch that sent p4p to the ground. 1 broken prop, battery popped out, and now camera keeps going up & down on the Gimbel. Camera works, as does the drone... but this obviously renders it useless.
I haven't tried calibrating anything through the app yet.
Thoughts or suggestions?
Thank you

There are a few things that can cause this problem. A nicked ribbon cable; check very closely where the ribbon goes into the back of the yaw arm cover and where the ribbon is close to the camera module. The pitch motor could have been compromised. Basically, the very tiny black sensors that sit on the motor base, just underneath the space between the motor drum and the motor base. Look for a scrape or even a score in the top of the sensor. Check the sensors on the yaw motor also. The yaw motor is the primary culprit and most effected by a crash. Check for dirt in any of the gimbal motors. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Lo-Rider
Having never serviced anything like a drone, I don't feel comfortable opening it up and poking around at its guts. I just talked with a local UAV repair shop and they told me that the gimbal replacement, which has to include the camera as one unit, will cost approximately $700! Considering the fact that the entire Bird cost $1,200, that seems to be an astronomical repair cost. Any tips on how to work around this?

Buy a used or discounted assembly on eBay and then bring it to him and ask how much for the labor alone.

Same thing happened to me. The trick is when you turn your drone on, hold on to the camera so it stays level during power on sequence. It will tug a bit and let go then it levels and works normally.

I have to do this now on every power up. Something got damaged but at least i can use it. Newegg has Phantom 4s for 750 now so i ordered a spare. I figure the cost of the repairs that will be required for the first drone is the cost of my education.

So 750 It was a no brainer.

@elsapo2001: so every single time you turn it on you have to do this? And everything functions properly with no tilt or complications while flying as far as video and photos go?
I did try what you said and it did level the gimbal out. Charging everything up to take it for a flight to see if that works. It seems that something this specific should have a listing somewhere about either what is wrong, and or how to fix it. I have posted another post here with a video of this hoping someone can give further Insight. I think I will make another Quick Clip of holding it and showing that that stops IT from happening.
Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: The Ghost
Sometimes i get lucky and dont have to but i do it everytime on powerup. As long as it levels up i canlive wit this. Not aware of a fix for it other tha. What i do.

I repair these cameras. It it usually the yaw motor sensors that get damaged in a crash. I have a YouTube video on here that explains this and how to fix it. If you are not comfortable opening these up send it to me or there are a couple of other guys on here that can fix it. the cost is not as bad as you think if this is your problem. Just replacing the yaw motor will not solve the problem. It is a little more involved than that.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj