After a crash: are there parts of any value inside a Phantom 4?

Reaction score
I'm sure there are, but, where and how much?
5fab371b22ebff52aed3f13d9116f6e4.jpg

3f557958b0f9accb66361e77c698c3bc.jpg

8e04035c2ed51f22b0a22a42c958c7cc.jpg

5861cecf69cbe63e2654d9fdf55ade81.jpg

172ae9f5807617194995ac5a763e8130.jpg

Anything useful to recover? The camera itself seems fine.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Looks like a real bad crash. Do you feel like sharing the details so we might learn something?

Backing up to get the "right framing" of a photo and ran into an obstacle ... 412 feet up ... Took out a prop (or) two and she fell, like a stone onto concrete.

It was weird, there wasn't shock as when you watch it crash. Without warning went from perfect picture and signal to "Aircraft disconnected" in one second. Interestingly, the battery came out somewhere "up there" and was never found.

Sadly, the MP4 file I was recording at the time is damaged, I can't get it to play.

Sorry for your loss.

Your MP4 file can probably be repaired. It's just that the file was never closed or finished correctly since you lost power abruptly. If you know somebody with a P4, you can repair the file by replacing the SD card and powering the P4 up (you could even mail the SD card to somebody). DJI has software in the craft that will automatically fix the file for you although you'll likely lose the last several seconds. Otherwise there is probably another method to fix it.

Are you getting out of the hobby? You could buy another P4 and then keep this one for parts...

1) I'd be curious to know what kind of obstacle you hit 400ft in the air
2) that bird looks badly damaged, but I have a feeling it can be repaired with a shell replacement and a few other things.

Ahha, I forgot about the video feed copy the DJI Go app caches for a while - this is from the flight that did my previous unit it. The video clip ends at exactly the moment when I went from full signal strength to "Aircraft disconnected". That's when I backed into the building just to the back/right of the POV at the end as I was moving to get better angle on the shot of the other buildings.

Ahha, I forgot about the video feed copy the DJI Go app caches for a while - this is from the flight that did my previous unit it.

This is some pretty cool footage. Beautiful area. Just be aware, no disrespect but I think flying over streets and cars is against the regs on the FAA website. Especially around a statue and people. They have been quoted that that aren't supposed to go after hobbyist unless they pose a medium or high risk to public health and safety. However, don't get caught lol. Any who, happy flying!

This is some pretty cool footage. Beautiful area. Just be aware, no disrespect but I think flying over streets and cars is against the regs on the FAA website. Especially around a statue and people. They have been quoted that that aren't supposed to go after hobbyist unless they pose a medium or high risk to public health and safety. However, don't get caught lol. Any who, happy flying!

Looks like its the middle of the night, no people around and barley any traffic. buzz off dude.

Ahha, I forgot about the video feed copy the DJI Go app caches for a while - this is from the flight that did my previous unit it. The video clip ends at exactly the moment when I went from full signal strength to "Aircraft disconnected". That's when I backed into the building just to the back/right of the POV at the end as I was moving to get better angle on the shot of the other buildings.

Thats an awesome video man, sucks about your bird. keep doing what you do! Since you have another bird, you can probably just put the SD card into the replacement and see if it can repair the video file, worth a shot at least.

Willing to buy the battery if it's not working and not heavily damaged externally. PM send

I have (free) software that can likely repair your damaged MP4 file:
Repairing Corrupt DJI Phantom or Inspire Video Files

Ok, unlike all other programs I've tried, this one actually completed and claimed "repaired" - the resulting .h264 file did open in VLC. However, it did not play correctly.

I DID choose the correct format from the options presented; but let me note. You have options for 2160 at 24, 25 and 30 frames but didn't distinguish between 4096×2160 & 3840×2160. My video was at 3840 - perhaps your software assumes we're using 4096?

What I got was a file that I could press play on, the initial frame looks right but we get video scramble after that with the Occasional frame here and there that looks OK.

I'm sure there are, but, where and how much?

Anything useful to recover? The camera itself seems fine.

...Bad Crash.. after watching the video and reading your explanation, all i can say is 'Funny', usually I
ask for the Flight-Log so as to learn from it, but, theres really Nothing to learn here...
...to answer your question, I'll give you 50$ as is... (and I'll send you the Cam/Gimbal assy back)
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

Last edited:
Shared out of amusement, it was about 4 am and many of the streets below were closed due to a large movie being filmed in town so I didn't have to worry about anyone or anything "random" below. The few cars are the typical people just going around the barricades lol In any case, the battery landed on the roof, I spotted it on a return visit. Looks intact but soaked so not worth chasing. Only thing to learn is to remind ourselves, we have forward obstacle avoidance but nothing to the rear. Gotta remember your place in 3D space. Typically I'm not looking "behind me" at 400ish feet lol It was a rare chance to head into town without overflying people. Hardly worth commenting on.

I DID choose the correct format from the options presented; but let me note. You have options for 2160 at 24, 25 and 30 frames but didn't distinguish between 4096×2160 & 3840×2160. My video was at 3840 - perhaps your software assumes we're using 4096?

OK, it's possible that your video was recorded in a format that my "djifix" software doesn't (yet) recognize. If so, I may be able to update the "djifix" software to recognize it. To do this, I'd need an example of a working video, recorded in exactly the same format (width, height, frame rate) as your damaged file. This example working video can be very short - just a few seconds would be OK.

If you upload this example working video file to a (publicly accessible) web site, and send me the URL (e.g., by personal response to me on this forum, or by email to djifix (at) live555.com), then I can download and take a look at it, and (if possible) use it to update "djifix" so that it'll properly repair your damaged file.

Backing up to get the "right framing" of a photo and ran into an obstacle ... 412 feet up ... Took out a prop (or) two and she fell, like a stone onto concrete.

It was weird, there wasn't shock as when you watch it crash. Without warning went from perfect picture and signal to "Aircraft disconnected" in one second. Interestingly, the battery came out somewhere "up there" and was never found.

Sadly, the MP4 file I was recording at the time is damaged, I can't get it to play.

I will buy the gimbal assembly from you.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT