AerialTEK Copper Parabolic add-on.

I wanted to weigh in here as well. I have used these for a long time and they do work but require a little adjustment when you're flying with them. You have to careful to point the controller in the"general" direction of the drone. The beam spread is pretty wide (about 120 degree from what I've tested) but if you turn away from the drone, they are pretty unforgiving. In addition to the parabolic advantages, which are used in everything from Dish TV setups to the sky beacons that are used for large parties, you also improve your antenna alignment. Using a set of these force your antenna into an exact parallel relationship, which is optimal for signal strength especially at long distances. My experience in a wide variety of locations is that these can add 50% or more distance to your flight. The alternative is to use an upgrade kit like the ARGtek to increase it even further. I did a test with an EMF meter a while back that you can watch below to show you the signal improvement.

I never fly without my windsurfers on. I have the one piece and two piece set and I settled in with the two piece so I can get them separated in a V shape. I just never fly without the- love them.

Here's my experience with an exception to the rule about how these things throw signal forward. I did this show last month and I ended up alone for the flight, not something I like to do in this situation but it happened. I was so focused on filming that I lost track of where the drone ended up as the show went on- that being almost 800' BEHIND me with windsurfers on and me facing forward thinking the drone was in front of me even though I knew I was backing off more and more. I only realized it when it was time to land and I couldn't find it up there in front of me, only to realize it was way behind me. It was in that position for an extended period of time too, and I only got one momentary glitch. I had full signal the entire time, that far behind me with windsurfers on! So do they make the signal directional? Yes, normally lol. But this was abnormally amazing and very lucky for me. I also choose a custom channel rather than let the channel auto hop. I prefer it. Here's the video of the flight this happened on. I'm left without an explanation as to how I got away with it.

Reactions: Double_DoubleG
I made my own and they work very well with my P3 4K
If you make your own, use a template for proper parabolic measurements so the signal gets directed to your antenna. Now remember, they work extremely well..but only if theyre directed towards your drone.
full

Reactions: Double_DoubleG
Since I made my living as a professional photographer, I have reflectors that fit on mono lights, and a couple different styles. So I tried two different ones and both were effective, but one was much better, since the reflector needed to be modified anyhow, I made it so it's actually got a wide scope or view of sending out the signal. I guess I could do a grab from one of my shots landing to show it. It at least doubled my distance and let's just say it's taken me to new heights, even overhead.

Attachments

• landing showing my reflector.jpg
    landing showing my reflector.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 214
My only issue with these parabolic antennas is that I have to "constantly aim" them at my drone. And I don't like that.
I've already mentioned this on my first post. So no thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I'm facing the drone all the time anyway. It's something I did without the windsurfers too so for me there's no change. And ime windsurfers are more forgiving than people seem to think.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr