AerialTEK Copper Parabolic add-on.

Some people like driving an older Hyundai for example .. And some like driving a brand new Porsche. (Brands are just used for example)

You are welcome to your opinion and I won't say anything negative about it. If the Alfa antennas or even some cheap eBay whip antennas are working well for you or anyone else then awesome !!

I don't think you are considering everything though.
The itelite antennas are a premium antenna manufactured in Poland rather than China where all the cheap eBay antennas are from.

The itelite Kit comes with all cables / hardware necessary to install the antenna on your remote.
They just require you to drill 2 holes in the remote to feed the sma connectors through.

We didn't like that look so we designed the clean install cables are an add on for people who like the nicer things in life but not necessary. (ie. The ability to use the existing antenna holes and retain a more OEM look)

As most people assume markups are huge and everyone should sell everything cheaper, this is true in some companies I'm sure but also don't forget. We have overheads running businesses, we have to design and import everything into our respective countries before selling it. Which entails taxes / import fees / duties / exchange rates / etc.

And lastly we would rather opt to reduce our markup than reduce quality as we are in this for the love of the hobby much before we are in it for the money. We know there are cheaper options that will help increase your signal but we aim to create a solid product that is palatable by the average consumer, backed up with bulletproof customer service and proven results.

Don't get me wrong, having the ability to try all the latest and greatest stuff while making a few bucks is an awesome side effect !!!

I own MAXX UAV Canada and I have helped anyone who asks for help regardless of which antenna they are using. I'm sure if you ask Jake @ MAXX UAV USA or Fredz @ MAXX UAV EU they will have done the same.

****, you Canadians are really nice people :) Keep up the good work.

Thanks @neven !!! Not sure what I did lol but I will take the compliment ! Ha ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Double_DoubleG
Ha ha ha !!

Don't worry KyleMaxxUAV, I ordered my kit the other day an I'm still waiting on it.
I'm so freakin excited bro!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Awesome man !!! Are you in the USA ? Ordered from Jake ??
Looking forward to seeing the results !! We are always around if you need any help / have a question / etc!!!

I'm stoked for ya !!

I wanted to weigh in here as well. I have used these for a long time and they do work but require a little adjustment when you're flying with them. You have to careful to point the controller in the"general" direction of the drone. The beam spread is pretty wide (about 120 degree from what I've tested) but if you turn away from the drone, they are pretty unforgiving. In addition to the parabolic advantages, which are used in everything from Dish TV setups to the sky beacons that are used for large parties, you also improve your antenna alignment. Using a set of these force your antenna into an exact parallel relationship, which is optimal for signal strength especially at long distances. My experience in a wide variety of locations is that these can add 50% or more distance to your flight. The alternative is to use an upgrade kit like the ARGtek to increase it even further. I did a test with an EMF meter a while back that you can watch below to show you the signal improvement.

Last edited:
Putting on my ham radio hat here...

First, you need to understand the stock antennas.

They are omnidirectional, vertically polarized antennas. That means that the radio waves leave the antenna in all directions perpendicular to the long axis of the antenna. Very little to no signal leaves the top of the antenna and goes straight up. This is why you can have control issues if the Phantom is directly overhead; the signal is going straight in front of you much more than it is going up.

It's also important to understand that the signal is going out in a 360 degree pattern from the antenna - so at any given time, half of the signal is - by definition - heading AWAY from the drone. Yes, much of that is aimed at YOU.

What you are doing with these reflectors is bouncing that ("wasted") signal back out in the forward direction - a 120 degree arc, based on the comments above, at the expense (not that you likely care!) of dramatically decreasing the signal in the other 240 degrees of arc to the side and towards you. This is why you need to keep the antennas aimed more at the Phantom.

The other point is that this is not just beneficial for those who want to fly further, but for those who want a more reliable signal at any given distance. In areas of interference, this could be quite useful.

I know for a fact these inexpensive additions to your antennas work wonderfully in hightly congested radio wave environment. I doubled the distance but you really have to keep the antennas pointed in the direction of the phantom any deviation as mentioned above from Joet you can lose signal pretty quick.. When I first used them, I really thought the same, they didn't work or worse I'm getting less distance only because I was flying the same as before knowing how stock antennas worked and using the copper parabolic system you really need to focus the "beam" at the quad and you will get much more distance guaranteed.

Putting on my ham radio hat here...

First, you need to understand the stock antennas.

They are omnidirectional, vertically polarized antennas. That means that the radio waves leave the antenna in all directions perpendicular to the long axis of the antenna. Very little to no signal leaves the top of the antenna and goes straight up. This is why you can have control issues if the Phantom is directly overhead; the signal is going straight in front of you much more than it is going up.

It's also important to understand that the signal is going out in a 360 degree pattern from the antenna - so at any given time, half of the signal is - by definition - heading AWAY from the drone. Yes, much of that is aimed at YOU.

What you are doing with these reflectors is bouncing that ("wasted") signal back out in the forward direction - a 120 degree arc, based on the comments above, at the expense (not that you likely care!) of dramatically decreasing the signal in the other 240 degrees of arc to the side and towards you. This is why you need to keep the antennas aimed more at the Phantom.

The other point is that this is not just beneficial for those who want to fly further, but for those who want a more reliable signal at any given distance. In areas of interference, this could be quite useful.
The antennas on the Phantom are not omnidirectional. They are actually little slim PC boards, like a miniature panel antenna. Pull the sleeve off of one of your antennas and you will see what I mean. They are etched PC boards with, I believe quarter length etchings on them. This makes them directional and not omni at all. This is why DJI specifies in the owners manual that they are to be pointed at the aircraft at all times.

They are omni, the etched boards do not mean they are directional.

The board is not a reflector which would make them omni. The signal passes through as if the board wasn't there.

The OEM DJI antennas are omnidirectional.

0086d2345a97bcbeff3159b9f7b6f9e8.jpg

You are right. I was thinking wrong.

They are omni, the etched boards do not mean they are directional.

The board is not a reflector which would make them omni. The signal passes through as if the board wasn't there.

The OEM DJI antennas are omnidirectional.

0086d2345a97bcbeff3159b9f7b6f9e8.jpg

No worries mate !!! We are all here helping each other!!!

Reactions: HWCM
What remote ? That pic is GL658C inspire

Phantom 3 Advanced. I am not sure of the remote model number. I do not have the box with me, DJI has it right now.
I want to say its the B.

Yeah the model in on the bottom side of the remote. The colour doesn't matter, it's all the same. Even in the new Lightbridge 2 remotes.

Maxx is spot on, the antenna are omni-directional and the PC board is essentially invisible to the signal. Technically it's a dipole antenna on the P3A, P3P and P4 because there are a pair of them. For the best radiation pattern it's important to keep them parallel to each other to avoid an abundance of nodal patterns (dead spots) in the transmission. By adding the parabolic reflector you're providing a surface the signal needs to bounce off of and are creating a "crude" directional antenna as well as keep the antenna perfectly parallel.

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj