Adobe Camera Raw update 8.3 for the Vision

Mactab said:
unless I'm mistaken or I'm doing it wrong you cannot open raw files from the Vision with this update.
I stand to be corrected of course.
I have not found anything that seems to support the PV camera Raw in the details of either of the two mentioned downloads. That is unless DJI is using a sensor and lens profile used in one of the other supported cameras,
The OP states that the 'Lens Profile' is supported, and that is not a raw converter. That simply means that on jpg files, lens distortion corrections are supported.
If DJI Raw is supported in the DNG converter, (which I couldn't see the DJI listed in the new camera support), then the raw file could be converted to a DNG (Adobe Digital Negative) file which Lightroom should be able open.

Correct ME if I'm wrong on this…

Paul

I can't seem to get those to work on my PC ……I just get the grey pixelated image also.

*would like to try on my MAC - but these downloads say Windows platform

We need to be able to open the RAW, it will allow for much improved images!!!!! DJI/Adobe - please help!

Sledge said:
I can't seem to get those to work on my PC ……I just get the grey pixelated image also.

*would like to try on my MAC - but these downloads say Windows platform

We need to be able to open the RAW, it will allow for much improved images!!!!! DJI/Adobe - please help!

The Mac version is on the website. Just go to the "New Downloads" link on the upper right of the page.

The OP must be a Windows User.

doesnt look like the MAC raw converter covers the DJI PV2 camera...unrecognized raw format when trying to convert it to DNG

myquietwaters said:
doesnt look like the MAC raw converter covers the DJI PV2 camera...unrecognized raw format when trying to convert it to DNG
There is *no* available RAW converter that currently handles the proprietary DJI Phantom RAW format - doesn't matter whether it's Windows or Mac. The OP was simply wrong, if that's what he was implying.

The Adobe updates mentioned just include the P2V *LENS PROFILE* for correcting fisheye distortion in JPEG images - nothing more.

My reading of the latest announcement is not that the camera will produce a proprietary .raw file that can to be converted to DNG, but that the camera will produce an Adobe DNG file within the camera. The DNG format is essentially a universal-raw format, so any software that supports the standard will be able to display the images without further conversions. I use Adobe Lightroom for my images, and it allows you to convert other raw formats to DNG when it imports the images.

MikeB said:
My reading of the latest announcement is not that the camera will produce a proprietary .raw file that can to be converted to DNG, but that the camera will produce an Adobe DNG file within the camera. The DNG format is essentially a universal-raw format, so any software that supports the standard will be able to display the images without further conversions. I use Adobe Lightroom for my images, and it allows you to convert other raw formats to DNG when it imports the images.
Yes, I understand. That will be wonderful. But *right now* the camera produces a proprietary RAW file that cannot be read by anything.

Yes, and they would not be advertising it producing RAW if the usable file was DNG.

I looked around last night and found something from either DJI or Dronefly revising the RAW converter release from mid Dec to late Dec/earlt Jan. That Sucks.

The RAW files are definitely not supported in this version of Camera Raw/Lightroom. Only the profile corrections are applied.

myquietwaters said:
Yes, and they would not be advertising it producing RAW if the usable file was DNG.

I looked around last night and found something from either DJI or Dronefly revising the RAW converter release from mid Dec to late Dec/earlt Jan. That Sucks.
I'm sure you know this, but DNG files *are* RAW files. Don't want other readers to be confused. DNG (Digital Negative) is Adobe's standardized format for universally-understood RAW files. Unfortunately, most cameras - including the *current* P2V camera - create camera-specific, proprietary RAW files instead.

DJI appears to have changed their original plan - which called for the release of a P2V-RAW -> DNG converter app. The new plan appears to be an upcoming camera firmware update, after which the camera will natively create DNG files instead of the current proprietary RAW format. And that appears to have pushed the date back to late Dec or early Jan.

It's still not clear whether they will offer a P2V-RAW -> DNG conversion app any more. Hopefully they will, so that our existing P2V-RAW files are not orphaned.

jimre said:
MikeB said:
Yes, I understand. That will be wonderful. But *right now* the camera produces a proprietary RAW file that cannot be read by anything.
As I understand things, all jpg images are created from a raw file in the camera...Under normal circumstances if the camera manufacturer makes the raw file available, they offer some sort of raw converter that will read their raw files, though crude they usually are. I'm surprised DJI shows the user the raw file that is used by their camera, and doesn't provide free software to manually convert it. If we can't convert it ourselves, what good is it, and why provide access to it!!!! I guess they are waiting for Adobe or someone else to do their work for them. Since there is not a huge market for this camera, that may take some time????
Maybe it is just a sales enticement to help sell the vision.
I feel certain DJI didn't build the sensor and firm wear that is used in the camera. Could be the sensor was created by Sony or some other sensor builder, but they should provide a program to convert it if they show the user the raw file!

PAValentine said:
...Maybe it is just a sales enticement to help sell the vision. I feel certain DJI didn't build the sensor and firm wear that is used in the camera. Could be the sensor was created by Sony or some other sensor builder, but they should provide a program to convert it if they show the user the raw file!
Of course they *should* have provided some way to read or convert their RAW files at product release, but for whatever reason that software was not ready. I don't like it either - but I can't imagine DJI holding back the release of their highly-anticipated new product - and missing the entire Christmas selling season - just because their RAW conversion utility is not ready yet.

The change in plan - native DNG in-camera, vs. conversion app - is definitely a better solution. That change, plus all the attention Adobe is suddenly giving the Phantom Vision (check out all the great aerial photography tutorials at Adobe TV) - tell me that Adobe may have had a hand in convincing DJI to support DNG raw files natively.

Might be the yet to be released Adobe DNG file will take the place of the raw file, in case they have no converter available. An excellent work around!!!

highly doubt the PV2 camera has much RAM so converting the raw files to dng in the PV2 will kill the performance and create huge buffering issues/delays. The camera/image processor is slow as gravy....capturing jpegs takes a couple of seconds, evidence of SLOW. also, you cannot capture RAW on burst 3, 5 + modes...because it eats RAM and b/c its...slow.

Not an expert, but with all the other problem with the PV2, I think smoke would start billowing out of the PV2 camera if it tried capturing a full raw (ave. 10mb+) file AND then converting that file to dng.

even with a pro DSLR, which I use, shooting on continuous capturing RAW runs into buffering issues. Adding dng conversion to a pro DSLR in-camera would kill the performance because of the buffering.

don't get me wrong, it would be nice for in-camera conversion, because then we wouldn't have to pay Adobe to upgrade our LR and PS every few years to get the latest and greatest camera RAW when we buy a new camera.

this should have been done before the PV2 was released and advertised capturing RAW.

myquietwaters said:
highly doubt the PV2 camera has much RAM so converting the raw files to dng in the PV2 will kill the performance and create huge buffering issues/delays. The camera/image processor is slow as gravy....capturing jpegs takes a couple of seconds, evidence of SLOW. also, you cannot capture RAW on burst 3, 5 + modes...because it eats RAM and b/c its...slow..
I partially disagree. Processing isn't the bottleneck with RAW files. Compressing an image into JPEG actually uses a heck of a lot more CPU cycles than a RAW file. RAW files are slower mostly because it takes longer to write a huge file to disk. The P2V camera is already writing the full 27 MB proprietary-formatted RAW files to disk when you choose the RAW setting. Writing a 27 MB DNG-formatted raw file to disk instead won't take any longer.

You're probably right about burst mode, though. This camera likely lacks the RAM and multi-core processor needed to buffer and process >1 raw image at a time like our DSLRs do. Currently the P2V camera can't do RAW in 3-5 image burst mode, and I don't expect that to change with DNG.

Chuggie said:
iquittoo said:
Adobe has release a Camera Raw update for PhotoShop CS6 & CC. Also release Lightroom 5.3. Both updates have a Phantom Vision Lens correction profile. Updating my Photoshop and Lightroom as I type this. Can't wait to try out the lens correction.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/ ... ileID=5705

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/ ... ileID=5707

Do you know if either of these will work with adobe raw for bridge 5.5?
Nope. Photoshop CS5 (or 5.5 - same thing) is discontinued, and received its *final* Camera RAW update about 1.5 years ago (ver 6.7). This new release is ver. 8.3 - and is supposed to work with either CS6 or CC.

But you can download the P2V Lens Profile from the DJI site and install it manually - you don't need these new software updates just to get one lens profile.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik