Adding Inspire Tablet Holder to RC

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 3 standard was using my smart phone but wanted to use a larger tablet with the remote. The stock holder won't accommodate tablets so I added an Inspire holder. There are plenty of post/YouTube videos explaining how to install the Inspire tablet mount so I won't get into that. What I wanted to touch on was installing the Inspire holder so that it is rock solid. I went with the Inspire holder because it is made out of aluminum rather than plastic (Phantom advance/Pro) and is much sturdier. To summarize, most people just screw the large nut directly into the remotes plastic case, and this works pretty good. I wanted something a little more secure. So I threaded the support shaft and added a nut to secure the support arm. See the photos below for details.

m3kxyyy.jpg

Stock Inspire tablet holder and the parts needed for the mod.

8PM0Lle.jpg

The support shaft and parts removed, noticed the end of the shaft is smooth on one end.

gMOvB4r.jpg

I used an M5 die to put threads on the shaft.

JUjhGyI.jpg

Now I could thread an M5 nut onto the end of the shaft.

ws96E2T.jpg

Inside the remote you have to remove some plastic to make room for the washer and nut. The area circled in Red needs to be removed.

5IYq8UN.jpg

Area now clear, wires push aside so they won't get damaged when I drill a hole in the remotes case.

iRHbzLr.jpg

After using the Inspire mount to locate the position for the hole (see YouTube videos on how to find the proper location) I started with a pilot hole (drill size 1/16) then finished it with a 7/32 drill.

lCYicL5.jpg

I now used an M6 tap to put threads into the hole I just drilled.

cFQ2wxn.jpg

Now you can thread the support nut into the case and install the lanyard screw.

G95iVQC.jpg

With the support screwed in from the outside I added a washer and M5 nut to the inside to lock in the support shaft.

DRowlQD.jpg

All done, super solid tablet holder.

Nicely done and beautifully detailed instructions. You really should get yourself some metric drill bits though to go with your tap set... what’s 7/32? About 5.5mm?

Nicely done and beautifully detailed instructions. You really should get yourself some metric drill bits though to go with your tap set... what’s 7/32? About 5.5mm?

Thanks
I know there are a lot of post/videos detailing how to mount the Inspire holder but I have never seen anyone put threads on the support shaft and use a nut to really tighten things up. I do have metric drills and I mentioned 7/32 because that is what most people on Youtube are using. I actually went a little smaller since I was using a tap to get some nice tight threads.

Thanks
I know there are a lot of post/videos detailing how to mount the Inspire holder but I have never seen anyone put threads on the support shaft and use a nut to really tighten things up. I do have metric drills and I mentioned 7/32 because that is what most people on Youtube are using. I actually went a little smaller since I was using a tap to get some nice tight threads.
I use 5mm for M6.....

Really like how you did this.

I installed that tablet mount on my P3S remote controller like this. Your install looks cleaner than mine. I guess the only con is that you'll need to reopen the remote controller if the tablet mount becomes loose for some reason?

I installed that tablet mount on my P3S remote controller like this. Your install looks cleaner than mine. I guess the only con is that you'll need to reopen the remote controller if the tablet mount becomes loose for some reason?

Not worried about it becoming loose, the whole idea was to make it very solid. Screwing just the support nut from the outside into the thin plastic shell of the remote just didn't seem secure enough for me so adding a washer and nut from the inside (similar to how the lanyard mount is attached) is better. Also the M5 nut I used is a nylock and won't come loose.

Screwing just the support nut from the outside into the thin plastic shell of the remote just didn't seem secure enough for me
Yeah, I never liked that idea either. I think the top part of the mount should definitely be screwed down.

Just about same idea,inspire mount with larger tab holder,now holds me 8 or 10/1" nice,should have done this long time ago
1518310386721-422766630.jpg
1518310434320-1561276035.jpg
excuse me hole on side,that's what happens when you drop from bit of height,nother story,

Nice install.

With this being such a popular install for standard owners, can someone explain to me why I see most tablets without a case? Will a case on say, a 9.7" iPad not fit within the inspire mount?

Nice install.

With this being such a popular install for standard owners, can someone explain to me why I see most tablets without a case? Will a case on say, a 9.7" iPad not fit within the inspire mount?
Depends on the case, it’s pretty tight.... A life proof case won’t fit with an Air2 inside it. It’s no problem though you can buy an extender or make your own.

Nice install.

My Inspire mount opens to 6.5" wide and fits my Ipad mini 2 (5.5" wide with a thin clear case). But won't fit my Ipad 2 (7 5/8" wide with no case). You need to measure the width of your device and if it is over 5.5" wide or so it probably won't fit.

My Inspire mount opens to 6.5" wide and fits my Ipad mini 2 (5.5" wide with a thin clear case). But won't fit my Ipad 2 (7 5/8" wide with no case). You need to measure the width of your device and if it is over 5.5" wide or so it probably won't fit.
iPad Air2 in lifeproof nuud case. All you need is an old coat hanger and a piece of heat shrink.
BB6F7618-09D2-4B0A-B309-12F00550786B.jpeg

08D19249-7F42-4E0C-AB64-574464170D72.jpeg

It doesn't look clean with the threaded insert? I've got one ordered, didn't like the idea of screwing the mount directly into the plastic.

What don't you like about the insert? Does it stick up above the level of the controller or something?

It doesn't look clean with the threaded insert?
It doesn't look bad -- just not as clean as the method above. I think I would still do it my way again since it allows the tablet holder to be easily removed.

P3S-0037s.jpg

P3S-0045s.jpg

Reactions: Birdies Wanted

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1