Adding 1watt 5.8ghz Sunhans amp

Reaction score
I am thinking about adding the 1watt 5.8ghz Sunhans amp for the 5.8ghz output, I am curious if others have a good experience with adding this booster. I have read a lot on the FCC & CE, by adding the booster does it matter if you are in FCC or CE mode?

if you have added the booster please share your setup & experiences.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111315254025?lpid=82

I followed ben7drone's YOUTube instructions on how to add repeater and camera antennas... installed a 3bd omni and iBcrazy polarized antennas on the camera and matching 7db omni and the paired iBcrazy antennas on the repeater.

The antenna mods boosted my range by about 25-30%.

Then we added the amp... Video range now exceeds 4000' at 30fps in hi-def mode. Now I'm noodling on how to extend the control range so that I can use the extended video range! LOL

For all the $ I've spent on P2V mods, the Sunshan with its stock antenna was the most effective single upgrade (assuming you have external SMA jacks on the repeater). I power the amp with 5volt 2amp batteries & a USB to dc-plug converter cable. The cable is about $5 on eBay.

That amp is highly recommended.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 1,162
I just posted the above & then realized that your title said 5.8ghz... I believe mine is 2.4ghz or is a dual band - it's not in front of me.

Anyway, I am using it on the 2.4ghz video side of the system. I tried another mfg dual band amp on the 5.8ghz control side and it had no effect.

I am in the process of adding the 2.4ghz amp to my PV2+, & Stage 1 kit from FPVLR (Video Side), along with that I am installing 5.8 GHZ 4.25 turns FATSHARK series Helix, & 1.7 dbi White 5.8 Pinwheel. All is in the mail heading this way.. It can't come soon enough...lol

I have been trying to do my research on installing the 1 watt 5.8ghz, (Control Side) I cant seem to find and detailed information..

Cnash said:
I am thinking about adding the 1watt 5.8ghz Sunhans amp for the 5.8ghz output, I am curious if others have a good experience with adding this booster. I have read a lot on the FCC & CE, by adding the booster does it matter if you are in FCC or CE mode?

I've been using this same amp for about 2 weeks. Works great so far. Remember it requires a 12 volt power supply. I bought a XT-Power MP10000 battery backup to supply 12V to the amp. Bought it from Amazon but I see they are out of stock right now. Paid $47 dollars. I have been out to just over 3000ft. without signal loss. Don't really know how far it will go.

Amazon has other similar power supplies but make sure they have 9 volt and 12 volt options. I really like the MP10000 I power a 5.8ghz 1watt amp, a 2.4ghz 2watt amp and plug the USB output to the Wifi extender. After running 6 battery packs through the Vision I still have 75% capacity left.

Next project will be adding voltage regulator for 6Volts to Transmitter. Then will have only 1 battery to power all.

PS. I added a 6db antennuator also just to make sure Tx signal didn't burn out amp or cause unnecessary freq. noise.

Just remember she you are this far out you have to consider head winds and battery level to come back.

it is too bad there isn't a way to tell you current wind speed and direction at your current location.
Sure you can put th sticks to center and look up with the cam and see if the craft is tilted.
but that will only give you a fought idea,
and if the position changes when you are center sticks, thats with winds grater than 25 since the craft will be using full power to remain in the same spot.

Thanks for sharing, I have a 1500mAh on order from Ebay, I am just waiting for it to come in. you said you are running both amps off of your MP10000 battery. do you have a splitter for the 12V? I have the 2.4 2.5 watt I am going to tie in for the WIFI side, I curious if the battery pack I purchased can run both at the same time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RAVPower-15000m ... OC:US:3160

enterprise1 said:
Cnash said:

I've been using this same amp for about 2 weeks. Works great so far. Remember it requires a 12 volt power supply. I bought a XT-Power MP10000 battery backup to supply 12V to the amp. Bought it from Amazon but I see they are out of stock right now. Paid $47 dollars. I have been out to just over 3000ft. without signal loss. Don't really know how far it will go.

Amazon has other similar power supplies but make sure they have 9 volt and 12 volt options. I really like the MP10000 I power a 5.8ghz 1watt amp, a 2.4ghz 2watt amp and plug the USB output to the Wifi extender. After running 6 battery packs through the Vision I still have 75% capacity left.

Next project will be adding voltage regulator for 6Volts to Transmitter. Then will have only 1 battery to power all.

PS. I added a 6db antennuator also just to make sure Tx signal didn't burn out amp or cause unnecessary freq. noise.

While having your 5.8ghz amp plugged in and on, are you in FCC mode or CE mode?

Cnash said:
Thanks for sharing, I have a 1500mAh on order from Ebay, I am just waiting for it to come in. you said you are running both amps off of your MP10000 battery. do you have a splitter for the 12V? I have the 2.4 2.5 watt I am going to tie in for the WIFI side, I curious if the battery pack I purchased can run both at the same time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RAVPower-15000m ... OC:US:3160

enterprise1 said:
Cnash said:

KG4MXV said:
it is too bad there isn't a way to tell you current wind speed and direction at your current location.

There is a way... it's just not implemented... you would have to let the drone hover for a bit... then firmware could run calculations on how much tilt (and which way) is required to maintain position and
the info could be displayed on screen.

Even the crappy little AR Drone 2.0 had that ability.

Cnash that 15000mah backup battery will give you plenty power for several flights. Like I said earlier I ran both amps and wifi repeater flying through 6 vision batteries and used only 25% of 10000mah backup. I spliced 2 leads off from the DC output for the 2 amplifiers. Checked voltage on each individual amp while running the other and it looked ok.

I'm using antennuators on both amps. Just a precaution if output from TX or Wifi repeater exceeds 100mw you could be harming the amp. Don't know for sure just something I read. lol. Running with FCC mode on the TX.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic