Need help deciding the most Wifi Signal Bang for the Buck...

Reaction score
So, I've already decided to get the Amazon.com: ITELITE ITE-DBS01.4 EXTENDER ANTENNA SYSTEM FOR THE:DJI PHANTOM 3 STANDARD: Computers & Accessories for my P3S. I saw another (pretty awesome thread here that went beyond that and added Sunhans 2W 5.8Ghz and the 2.5W 2.4Ghz Boosters.

I'm wondering if you really need both the 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz Boosters? I mean, isn't the 2.4Ghz band for the longer distance and 5Ghz for shorter distances? Do these drones actually use Both Bands for the entire flight, or do they switch back and forth as needed? I know your typical Laptop Wifi setup will typically connect to either 2.4 or 5 and stay there. Do the DJI drones use the Wifi differently?

Those Boosters are pretty expensive by the time you add all the bits and pieces you need for both bands. If I decide to add boosters, are both really necessary?

Also, do you guys who just have the ITLITE Extender Antenna feel that it's good enough without adding boosters? I know someone will say it depends; but I'm curious what you're collective experiences are with just the Extender vs. Extender Plus Booster(s).

I love my DBS and in my opinion it's plenty on its own.. Depending on flight environment I can get as far out as 2 miles before RTH. For the average day of filming/ flying I would say it's more then enough.

The P3S uses 5.8ghz to control the quad and 2.4ghz for video and telemetry if I'm not mistaken. You have two 2.4 antennas that work on a diversity system meaning whichever antenna has the stronger signal will be used for the video feed. The 5.8g controls the quad the whole time.

You probably wouldn't notice much difference between one 2.4g booster versus two of them but if distance is your end goal and money no issue I say BOOST EM ALL!

I ended up doing this mod [emoji117] Birdside antenna mod version 2.0. works well and you don't have to open the bird up.

Last edited:
On my P3S remote I have DBS range extender (no boosters) and it has tripled my range compared to those
stock antennas.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl