About to launch my new website... take a look

I agree with two common comments here - really unacceptably slow to load, almost gave up, and spelling and grammar need some serious attention - than not then, cannot not can not are just two examples. Each project cater to your needs? Ouch. In What the Clients say: product was ready faster then I thought, by Anon: the yet-again use of 'then' makes it pretty clear that Anon is you!

Also, the home page, in fact the only page, it seems, attempts too much for one page. Split it up, it's too busy, not attractive. Is Remi foaming at the mouth?

Two more notes:

1. I'd get the guy's picture in the middle to change it for perhaps obvious reasons?

2. I don't like the # cups, late night whatevers, etc. Doesn't really work...

Hey everyone.

Wow. A lot of feedback. Thats exactly what I wanted. When there is so little content grammer really matter, I will be sure to fix those mistakes.

Regarding the slow load time - the video that plays in the background is 2.5mb. I will either get rid of it or get it down to <300kb. Its already buffered in my computer so it load in 3 seconds. This was very important to hear.

I will also go through each picture and see if I can make them smaller.

I will address these issue before I launch. Thanks again.

PVD aerial said:
I am about to go live with my website:
http://pvdaerialproductions.com/

Any feed back?

Thanks!!

The site was very slow to load. You might want to change your first page so that something (a photo, some text) starts to appear right away. Other than that, I think the site looks great!! Thanks for sharing it with us. And I thought the "Coastal Video" was outstanding. Very well done, in fact, something I want to try myself. Good flying and camera control. Thanks.

Peter Evans said:
Much MUCH too slow to load. It took over 40 seconds. Most of your potential customers will be long gone by that time.

Just my two centimes

When Peter Evans gives some advice, I'd follow it!!! Just look at this work and you'll know in an instant he's an expert photographer.

If you really want to know...

The slow loading is because of the number of large unoptimized images and overly extended home page content.

Don't put the kitchen sink on the home page. The home page should not require excessive scrolling - thus the long loading time. There's no Meta description so you are at the mercy of search engines for your search link text. (There's an SEO Widget plug in for that).

It's just Wordpress. Nothing wrong with that, I use it myself. It works very well on mobile platforms and it's a great tool but it's like paint-by-number for web sites.

Are you sure you want to say "1000 ft" when the limit is 400 ft? That's asking for trouble in more ways than one. Besides, what can really you get that's useful at 1000 ft that you can't do much better at 300 ft?

Got to agree with the majority of the posts. It takes a lifetime to load. If I'd stumbled upon this site while surfing I would have definitely moved on without waiting.

dragonash said:
I thought drones for commercial use was illegal.

It isn't illegal. In fact, the FAA has only "guidelines".

Check with your state's/local laws to make sure you don't mess up there. In Tennessee, it is illegal for law enforcement to fly drones lol...

Hi

Your website become very professional, nice quality, message and information goes straight to the point, easy to navigate, nice looking as well as the best image quality

congrats,

From my side I´m doing the same thing...

Personally it's one of the best sites I've seen I do like the full wide screen shots on my 42" screen, very impressive. I see you have updated it now and for the better, still takes a while to load but in a commercial sense it doesn't matter as you probably send people to the site and it's worth the wait.

It's one of few sites that draws one in and you want to "look around" more, well done

I do see in the House flyover shots a rotor in the top right at one point, it's a bit of a giveaway but not that important.

Still haven't fixed those spelling errors

"Very fast response and execution time. Product was ready faster then I thought!"
- ANO

kydan said:
dragonash said:

Check with your state's/local laws to make sure you don't mess up there. In Tennessee, it is illegal for law enforcement to fly drones lol...

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/uas/uas_faq/#Qn7

Even with a COA you can't fly it for commercial purposes. It's people like him that are going to get the whole industry grounded before we even get a chance to capitalize on it.

Here's an easy to understand flyer for australia that has the same rules you guys do in the states.
http://i.imgur.com/QqjxZ8c.jpg

VolcomSurfer said:
kydan said:
dragonash said:

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/uas/uas_faq/#Qn7

Even with a COA you can't fly it for commercial purposes. It's people like him that are going to get the whole industry grounded before we even get a chance to capitalize on it.

Here's an easy to understand flyer for australia that has the same rules you guys do in the states.
http://i.imgur.com/QqjxZ8c.jpg

If you're not already capitalizing you're going to get left behind. There's multi-billion dollar market waiting for early adapters to take advantage.

Not everything on the internet is true, even if it's on a government site.

I won't get involved in the legal talk, as this isn't the place to do it.

The website looks phenomenal. Do you do web development in your "free time"? If so, PM me. I will be needing a website here soon.

One suggestion I have that I guess does pertain to legal talk is advertising altitudes. I would suggest staying away from that. From the training I've taken and the conversations I've had with folks that have contacts with the FAA is that it's all about altitude. Anything above 400ft, at least in the States, is going to garner negative attention and could flag you for investigation by the FAA. By no means am I saying that I know anything about current regulations or that I personally have any contacts with the FAA. This is just a suggestion based off what I have heard from those that have been in the sUAS field longer than I have.

Overall, though, I am very impressed with that site and extremely jealous.

EDIT:
I'm an idiot - I see that it says 400ft now. Nice!

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Fink said:
I won't get involved in the legal talk, as this isn't the place to do it.

The website looks phenomenal. Do you do web development in your "free time"? If so, PM me. I will be needing a website here soon.

One suggestion I have that I guess does pertain to legal talk is advertising altitudes. I would suggest staying away from that. From the training I've taken and the conversations I've had with folks that have contacts with the FAA is that it's all about altitude. Anything above 400ft, at least in the States, is going to garner negative attention and could flag you for investigation by the FAA. By no means am I saying that I know anything about current regulations or that I personally have any contacts with the FAA. This is just a suggestion based off what I have heard from those that have been in the sUAS field longer than I have.

Overall, though, I am very impressed with that site and extremely jealous.

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Agreed, I'm not worried about the commercial aspect too much since I'm more focused on the actual development and manufacturing of UAVs. I'm in school at ERAU for UAS and the one thing they are drilling into us is the safety factor. A sUAS with no cooperative flight hardware and especially if you're flying IFR and FPV you're not going to be able to see a plane coming behind the camera. A 15 lb UAV has the same mass and kentic energy of a small bird. And there's been over 250 deaths in aviation due to bird strikes. I don't give a hoot what you do to yourself, but putting a small aircraft outside of class G airspace puts other peoples lives at risk. You make videos, cool; just be smart about it. All it's going to take is just one death due to sUAS and I can see the FAA taking away even hobbyist regulations. The RC community has a pretty good record with obeying the guidelines, whether they're "laws" or not; and the influx of new pilots because of multirotors are starting to give them a bad name. Guidelines are there for a reason, no one should have to tell you not to go 80 mph through a school zone.

Thanks you again everyone for the feedback.

I just "Web Optimized" all the images on the from page (fun evening with IPAs and CS6). I cut down the image sizes by approximately 80%. I also ditched the video. This should help.

How is the load time now?

I also ditched the hokey counter of coffees etc, fixed Mark's picture and corrected grammatical errors.

I am immensely grateful for everyones help!

+++++++
As far as the last few comments go - I agree UAVs could be dangerous. A greater degree of caution has to be exercised than with any other hobby I know. Especially when flown near people. However, their use is exponentially increasing and they are being used for commercial application. The FAA knows this and is making moves to define regulation by this fall:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/18/faa- ... ng-permit/

In the meantime you can be a responsible pilot, fly low, take precautions and buy insurance or you can let opportunity pass you by. ... however this is a topic for another forum
++++++++

btw - I don't do commercial aerial photography... I just charge for production/editing. The raw video/photos are free.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj