? About Obstacle Avoidance

Reaction score
I know how OA with stop or redirect the drone if you fly to close to something, however I'm assuming but not sure if it will work if Drone isn't moving. Let's say your drone is idling and something flies towards it say a bird or other object will the OA still work?

I know how OA with stop or redirect the drone if you fly to close to something, however I'm assuming but not sure if it will work if Drone isn't moving. Let's say your drone is idling and something flies towards it say a bird or other object will the OA still work?
Awsome question ,,one i not willing to try though,

It certainly works if I hover the drone and walk towards it. Can't comment on something as small as a bird as it maybe too small and not present in the field of view of the OA sensors for enough time to activate it. Maybe try waving a broom in front of it to see what happens.

It certainly works if I hover the drone and walk towards it. Can't comment on something as small as a bird as it maybe too small and not present in the field of view of the OA sensors for enough time to activate it. Maybe try waving a broom in front of it to see what happens.
Yip thats a good safe way to test, i gona try with mine to see how it reacts,i first thought of passing a soft foam ball at it but i like the broom broom better,(when the lovely wind stops,140kph for wellington today):eek:,

Reactions: dirkclod
Yip thats a good safe way to test, i gona try with mine to see how it reacts,i first thought of passing a soft foam ball at it but i like the broom broom better,(when the lovely wind stops,140kph for wellington today):eek:,
140 kph???? We are in the middle of two weeks of non stop rain and trying to fly when the wind drops off a bit (was up to 100 kph). If it gets a bit calmer later this afternoon, I have a garden rake near my take off point and I'll give that a run, probably end up whacking my drone with it :(

140 kph???? We are in the middle of two weeks of non stop rain and trying to fly when the wind drops off a bit (was up to 100 kph). If it gets a bit calmer later this afternoon, I have a garden rake near my take off point and I'll give that a run, probably end up whacking my drone with it :(
1502949290399157952532.jpg sorry had to post just so no one telling fibs,,126 at mo,sorry to "bkushner" as well for posting weather report on his question,,gezz i laughed when i saw the garden rake part,very good

Reactions: tevek
View attachment 86847 sorry had to post just so no one telling fibs,,126 at mo,sorry to "bkushner" as well for posting weather report on his question,,gezz i laughed when i saw the garden rake part,very good
Nah I believed you straight up as the weather over here is absolute shite. I live in a forest and when the trees start coming down, I hide under the bed. I think @bkushner wouldn't mind a bit of back story when trying to help out. The wind has died down so I'll have a crack at the garden rake.

140? Sheesh I thought we had it bad

Good for you! I was just out in my backyard. Nice to just fly around a bit. Would love to visit Australia or NZ. I think there would be lots to film.

Last week I was just hovering above the beach when a seagull flew by only a couple of inches away from my P4P, I saw the sensors detecting the bird but the Phantom didn't move.

I didn't think it actually avoids by moving, I thought it just gives visual and audible warnings. I have not seen the bird move when I approached it hovering. I know it can stop, if too close, but I did not think it would actually move away from an object.

OA will sense the approaching object and warn you, but it won't fly away. Your bird will need to be moving to "avoid" obstacles. It won't "flee" from them if just hovering.

OA will sense the approaching object and warn you, but it won't fly away. Your bird will need to be moving to "avoid" obstacles. It won't "flee" from them if just hovering.

Ya, I've never heard any stories of anyone having the bird retreat while hand catching from the front side. It can be made to climb over obstacles during RTH, but that's all.

I too have tested the drone's ability to move away from me when it is hovering and I walk toward it. I would not, however, expect it to be able to react to a rapidly approaching small bird. I found out the hard way (buying a new drone and then insuring with StateFarm) that obstacle avoidance does not work for all situations. One example is it will not avoid fine, leafless tree branches in the spring.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72