A new firmware update (V1.2.8) is now available for Phantom 3 Advanced

if you were driving your car along a straight road with the wheel pointing forward - and suddenly it veered off to the left or right unexpectedly so you have to correct it - is that your concept of a working car?

I really hope you don't work in the automotive or aeronautic industries. "Sorry passengers we've unexpectedly descended to 100 feet due to a beta firmware in our plane and are about to crash but hey we can't get it right all the time huh?"

These horrible things happen all the time in the automotive industry and, mercifully, less often in the aircraft industry. Even when lives are at stake coding and mechanical errors occur.

The Phantom is just a big toy that, as far as I know, doesn't automatically endanger human life when it goes cattywampus. To me it's a bloody miracle these things are as bulletproof as they are.

You want perfection? Seek a religion. In my estimation, It is too much to ask from a flying computer manufacturing company.

Anyone who wants the full resolution the sensor is capable of delivering. I prefer to crop later if needed.
I agree but have noticed that the with of a shot is somewhat narrower in 4X3 than 16X9.
When I am doing a real estate shot I sometimes like the wider angle.
You are right in that the 4X3 DNG shots are about 23mb whereas the same shot in 16X9 is 17mb.

Not perfection but that it should work. Nothing is perfect!

I can see from the responses I'm pretty much alone in preferring stability over beta testing.

I'm hoping the next firmware fixes the issues of the last one - and that's it for me - as long as its stable I'm happy to wait for new features.

I'm hoping the next firmware fixes the issues of the last one - and that's it for me - as long as its stable I'm happy to wait for new features.
Ah yes, the First Commandment of flying DJI, inscribed in stone during the Phantom 1 days :) I learned my lesson w/ the V+. Still flying w/ 1.1.8 on my P3.

Reactions: FELIPE RABANAL
So tell me meta4 - if you were driving your car along a straight road with the wheel pointing forward - and suddenly it veered off to the left or right unexpectedly so you have to correct it - is that your concept of a working car?

I really hope you don't work in the automotive or aeronautic industries. "Sorry passengers we've unexpectedly descended to 100 feet due to a beta firmware in our plane and are about to crash but hey we can't get it right all the time huh?"

Here you are talking about something unexpectedly descending 100 feet but the worst I see you posting about was
I did the update yesterday and did a very short test flight.
While sometimes it can hover ok, overall it drifts badly vertically.
As with the other guy its either keeps on going slowly up or slowly down.
One poster responded telling you that switching off the VPS should fix that and you didn't come back to say you still had a problem with it.

If you have a small problem of a slow drift downwards and it's easily managed by disabling the VPS, I can't see the relevance of hyperbole or exaggeration.

Ah yes, the First Commandment of flying DJI, inscribed in stone during the Phantom 1 days :) I learned my lesson w/ the V+. Still flying w/ 1.1.8 on my P3.

I wish I'd learned that lesson! The original firmware when I bought it was pretty stable and everything worked. All done a big downhill ( and sometimes uphill ) since then!

Anyway learnt lesson now - wish I could go back to the original firmware. Have to hope the next one fixes the issue but doesn't bring about new ones!

Reactions: FELIPE RABANAL
Since when has there been difference in firmware version number with P3P and P3A? Has P3A had some issues and therefore more frequent firmware updates? Or is P3A a new testing kit for DJI?

ps. I've been off forums for awhile and thanks to weather I have not had a chance to fly my P3 for ages.

I'm still on 1.8 and like fourblade I will wait till they fix the VPS issue and then some before updating.

For anyone who has been reading this forum for longer then a few months, you know DJI has always had issues with firmware and software releases. They are known for releasing buggy software. People can defend this all they want but truth is, DJI's track record is not good. With that said, I fail to see why so many people who know this still updated so quickly... especially when their Phantom was operating just fine. IMHO, it's ALWAYS better to hang back before updating to see if other people have issues.

IMHO, it's ALWAYS better to hang back before updating to see if other people have issues.
But if everyone followed the same methodology, we'd never know of any issues! :) (but, as you know, I do agree with you)

Reactions: Bigdz
For anyone who has been reading this forum for longer then a few months, you know DJI has always had issues with firmware and software releases. They are known for releasing buggy software. People can defend this all they want but truth is, DJI's track record is not good. With that said, I fail to see why so many people who know this still updated so quickly... especially when their Phantom was operating just fine. IMHO, it's ALWAYS better to hang back before updating to see if other people have issues.

I second that tcope, i waited a while before updating to the one i am on now and missed out the next one. i wont be updating to this one either becuase of the VPS problems, and they don't mention this is fixed yet so guess there will be another firmware in the next few days.

I wish I'd learned that lesson! The original firmware when I bought it was pretty stable and everything worked. All done a big downhill ( and sometimes uphill ) since then!

Anyway learnt lesson now - wish I could go back to the original firmware. Have to hope the next one fixes the issue but doesn't bring about new ones!

I remember starting a thread some time ago warning all to wait at least 10-14 days before doing any firmware updates in the vPlus forum. Several ignored me which of coarse is their prerogative. The thread posted was just prior to a update, and when several other threads began popping up of different issues associated with the update they realized they made a mistake in not listening to the old timers who knew what was to be expected.

The crazy part of this is, I made a huge mistake and put too much trust into DJI to not screw up. I took in account how well they have done rolling out the P3P that I installed the **** update and now here I sit with a Video issue, the VSP issue, and flying like it's in a different controller stick mode. Shoot me now! :mad:

Makes you wonder. Does the Inspire 1 have the same issues or because that one is more for the pro's its less likely to have issues?

You'd think with so much in common between the Inspire1 and the Phantom 3 that we wouldn't have near this many issues. Doesn't the Inspire 1 have VPS? How difficult would it be to use the same lines of code in our FW?

Makes you wonder. Does the Inspire 1 have the same issues or because that one is more for the pro's its less likely to have issues?
You'd think with so much in common between the Inspire1 and the Phantom 3 that we wouldn't have near this many issues.
The Inspire had some real issues when it was released.
The P3 has been trouble free by comparison and probably because the issues were dealt with in the I1 first.

Anyone who wants the full resolution the sensor is capable of delivering. I prefer to crop later if needed.
Can you please go into more detail? When I orig got my P3 was shooting video in 4:3 and the picture was horrid! So switched to 16:9 and has been perfect since... Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic