A good reason why you shouldn't use third party apps to fly your drone!!!

Reaction score
Hello. So about 1 1/2 weeks ago, I had a fly away on my brand new (3 weeks old) Phantom 3 Professional. I was using the Litchi app to control the drone. You can read about my experience in a different post (just search for WTF)! Anyway, I know that it is a slim chance, but I have been working with DJI Tech support. I hope was that they will review my flight log and see that this was not something that I did and was a manufacturer defect...obviously with the hope that they replace my drone. I have been flying drones for awhile - so I really don't think it was user error. In any case - since I wasn't using the DJI Go app, I could not submit my flight log directly to DJI. Instead, I downloaded my flight log from Litchi and sent the file to DJI. The tech support has told me that, while they will submit the log for review, there is a high likelihood that they will not replace the drone if I was using a 3rd party app. He started to say that it voids the warranty - but backed away from that statement. Anyway - I already ordered a new Mavic (I know - gluten for punishment) - but based on this experience - I don't think I will use Litchi anymore - I think it is a great app - but if something goes wrong - you are on your own! Anyone have a similar experience?

I think DJI would be treading on very thin ice if they were to enforce that - they opened the API up to 3rd party developers.

More likely the rep was trying to be obstructive

Hello. So about 1 1/2 weeks ago, I had a fly away on my brand new (3 weeks old) Phantom 3 Professional. I was using the Litchi app to control the drone. You can read about my experience in a different post (just search for WTF)! Anyway, I know that it is a slim chance, but I have been working with DJI Tech support. I hope was that they will review my flight log and see that this was not something that I did and was a manufacturer defect...obviously with the hope that they replace my drone. I have been flying drones for awhile - so I really don't think it was user error. In any case - since I wasn't using the DJI Go app, I could not submit my flight log directly to DJI. Instead, I downloaded my flight log from Litchi and sent the file to DJI. The tech support has told me that, while they will submit the log for review, there is a high likelihood that they will not replace the drone if I was using a 3rd party app. He started to say that it voids the warranty - but backed away from that statement. Anyway - I already ordered a new Mavic (I know - gluten for punishment) - but based on this experience - I don't think I will use Litchi anymore - I think it is a great app - but if something goes wrong - you are on your own! Anyone have a similar experience?
I'm not really surprised. Nearly all businesses, regardless of locality or product/service will use any excuse to claim any form of UE (user error) to void and therefore avoid a warranty/guarantee claim.

I think DJI would be treading on very thin ice if they were to enforce that - they opened the API up to 3rd party developers.

More likely the rep was trying to be obstructive
I agree with you. I think DJI may say that they open up their technology to 3rd Party developers - but that they don't endorse the effectiveness of those 3rd party programs. I'll let you all know what happens. One of the things they are saying is that they have an automatic program that analyzes the data that comes from DJI Go. This program is not designed to work with other 3rd party apps / flight logs. I am not sure how or if the flight log I downloaded from Litchi is materially different than DJI's log... Like I said - I'll report the end result - but it should create concern in using a 3rd party app if this is going to be DJI's stance.

There are risks with every flight. Until Go can support the same type of mission planning and operations as Litchi, litchi will be my go to app.

Reactions: glen e and stones
I would say there is a difference between something voiding warranty, and something that isn't covered under warranty.

Either way that's why I have insurance, so I don't have to screw with DJI ever in the event of a crash or fly away. If it's a physical problem they need to fix, then it's unrelated to flight logs and apps

Devils advocate here... My point is they probably say you chose and were using a non-OE product so that voids the warranty, that probably caused the problem so no warranty claim would be entertained and they will not review data from a non-OE product so that would be irrelevant. They'll probably cite the following clauses that state:-
Damage caused by any software incompatibility issues
and/or
Failure of, or damage caused by, any third party products, including those that DJI may provide or integrate into the DJI product at your request.

I agree with you. I think DJI may say that they open up their technology to 3rd Party developers - but that they don't endorse the effectiveness of those 3rd party programs. I'll let you all know what happens. One of the things they are saying is that they have an automatic program that analyzes the data that comes from DJI Go. This program is not designed to work with other 3rd party apps / flight logs. I am not sure how or if the flight log I downloaded from Litchi is materially different than DJI's log... Like I said - I'll report the end result - but it should create concern in using a 3rd party app if this is going to be DJI's stance.
And unfortunately, I agree with you, but I hope you do get a favourable outcome.

I would say there is a difference between something voiding warranty, and something that isn't covered under warranty.

Either way that's why I have insurance, so I don't have to screw with DJI ever in the event of a crash or fly away. If it's a physical problem they need to fix, then it's unrelated to flight logs and apps
Question - who do you have insurance through? May I ask what type of coverage is involved? Is it tied to your home insurance? Asking because I spoke with my insurance agent (Farmers) and they don't offer it - well they do in the sense that it is covered under my home policy but the deductible is not really practical if you are making a claim for just a drone. My agent is awesome and even checked for some companies that offer insurance - but it seems like most insurance policies are geared more towards professional businesses.

DJI Support assured me that using Litchi alone would not void any warranty. (I have screen caps of the conversation)
If however the crash was caused by litchi they would not cover it just like operator error.

If the crash was caused by a failure of the Phantom they will still cover it.

Reactions: Loz and PageSide

What insurance are you using, what are the coverages and deductible- if you don't mind sharing?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

What insurance are you using, what are the coverages and deductible- if you don't mind sharing?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
A lot of us on the forum have insurance with State Farm. It is a Personal Article's policy, cover's crashes, fly aways, theft. Does NOT cover liability. $60 a year for up to $3000 coverage with $0 deductible. I have my P4, my Nikon DSLR & firearms listed . Had to supply them receipts for each item listed.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: PageSide
Interesting thread. As I too fly with either Litchi and DJIGO depending on the day, I'm curious how this ends up.

Question for me is - Is there conclusive evidence (I'm assuming Litchi log can be this source?) that DJI at fault, ie not user or other external factors. I'm not doubting pilot, I'm wondering if there is proof (like there appears to be in DJI Log) that DJI cannot reasonably refute (for all our sakes).Thoughts?

- Phantom P3A and P3P -
Sent from my iPad Pro using PhantomPilots App

Interesting thread. As I too fly with either Litchi and DJIGO depending on the day, I'm curious how this ends up.

Question for me is - Is there conclusive evidence (I'm assuming Litchi log can be this source?) that DJI at fault, ie not user or other external factors. I'm not doubting pilot, I'm wondering if there is proof (like there appears to be in DJI Log) that DJI cannot reasonably refute (for all our sakes).Thoughts?

- Phantom P3A and P3P -
Sent from my iPad Pro using PhantomPilots App
Great question - I have looked at the logs that I was able to download from Litchi. As far as definitive proof...I certainly didn't see anything - but then again - I am not an expert.

Regarding Insurance - does anyone have a State Farm agent in California that they would recommend for drone insurance. Seems like a no brainer.

Doesn't Magnuson-Moss cover this sort of thing? i.e. if a part was defective they'd have to repair it regardless of third-party software (if it turns out the software had nothing to do with it)?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31