A friendly reminder about non OEM props.

Was flying and after a particularly windy flight, I brought my P4S in for a landing and I heard a grinding noise. Turns out it was a prop striking the body. Upon closer inspection 3/4 of my props had a 6mm vertical wobble, and the undersides were covered in fine plastic dust. I had actually forgotten I got those props on amazon, and they even had the same dji part number on them, but they were missing the dji logo (see below), View attachment 107780 and crucially, they were made out of a more brittle plastic that is quite susceptible to wear. The props didn’t even have 6 hours on them, but had I not found the problem sooner, they may have led to a prop coming loose in flight.

Just a reminder to shy away from non OEM props, as some clearly aren’t tested/up to the standards of dji in terms of safety and reliability.
HI hey I had issue back in June, the thread was called "WHITE POWDER" it turned out the play in props was cause by me plastic prop locks being just worn enough to move,,upgraded to p4p spring set up and no more powder or residue, alot better than original set up,,
Screenshot_20190202-214208.jpg

Reactions: Ansia
How do you figure his drone is an "investment?" He certainly can't sell it for more than he paid for it.

Your drone is an investment. Please get DJI propellers for it or the Carbon fiber series. I changed to the Carbon fiber and they are nice.

Reactions: Chrislaf
He get a good price for it later. But it does matter how he takes care of it. I rather use quality parts from the manufacturer. Or a recommendation from vendor for a local or online supplier.

Getting a good price for something doesn't make it an "investment." An investment is where you "invest" in an item because it's going to be worth MORE later than when you bought it.

He get a good price for it later. But it does matter how he takes care of it. I rather use quality parts from the manufacturer. Or a recommendation from vendor for a local or online supplier.

If you want to still buy from Amazon, I have tried a couple and found one supplier has the better quality, balance and material. The O-XOXO are crap, but the "DJI" (surely not real DJI), are the best ones I and others buy and have never had any issues in three years but I carefully inspect them prior to each flight of course. Many opinions on "life" of any props, but I am cautious and change them out after about 200 flights or 50 hrs flying.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011T28GY...NZ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it#customerReviews

Getting a good price for something doesn't make it an "investment." An investment is where you "invest" in an item because it's going to be worth MORE later than when you bought it.
No... that is not the only thing an investment is... if a trucker buys his truck instead of leasing it this is an investment... same with the comment that a drone is investment. For many of us we hope to work and get paid to fly thus the purchase of a dron can be an investment

A good investment is something that will pay off in more ways than simple resale for a profit. Investing in capital equipment that creates a higher return in your business is good even though the equipment will see a continual decline in it's market value, should lit be sold off. Two entirely different things.

HI hey I had issue back in June, the thread was called "WHITE POWDER" it turned out the play in props was cause by me plastic prop locks being just worn enough to move,,upgraded to p4p spring set up and no more powder or residue, alot better than original set up,,View attachment 108007
Manufacturers usually change parts for two reasons, better performance/reliability or cheaper production cost. It’s likely the former in this instance. @Forgotten_Fox will probably find his issue was more attributed to the mounts than the props he is suspicious about. Particularity is the ones he suspects as below spec are those with the DJI logo.

Manufacturers usually change parts for two reasons, better performance/reliability or cheaper production cost. It’s likely the former in this instance. @Forgotten_Fox will probably find his issue was more attributed to the mounts than the props he is suspicious about. Particularity is the ones he suspects as below spec are those with the DJI logo.

I pictured an oem dji prop to show what they should have. Mounts are oem. Props were from amazon without dji logo, and made of a more brittle plastic while being identified to dji props in every other way. I fly with only oem props now and have no issues with the mounts, props, or dust.

I pictured an oem dji prop to show what they should have. Mounts are oem. Props were from amazon without dji logo, and made of a more brittle plastic while being identified to dji props in every other way. I fly with only oem props now and have no issues with the mounts, props, or dust.
That’s an important clarification. It Was a struggle to understand why you might post a pic of an OEM prop to demonstrate an issue with after market- hopefully anyone with a P4 would know what OEM props look like.

I'm a stick with OEM prop and battery guy. They are critical fail points.

I bought a lot of after market accessories when I bought my first DJI...and after hearing and seeing some of the stories of these quads just falling from the sky with 1 prop flying off the arm completely; or in your case, hitting the body and causing extreme wear...it is indeed a good reminder for aftermarket stuff. The only stuff I use now is the after market prop guards - I kept the ones to the left in the image from my original P4P.

I have CF and never used them. I'd suggest sticking with DJI's plastic, as they can't find something else to blame if you crash and are trying to get their help to repair free or replace.

RoOSTA

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20