A couple quick beginner questions

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm a total newbie and I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on my first quad. I'm impressed with how much info I've been able to get from this forum. After a lot of research, I've decided that since I'm really interested in high quality video, I'm going to get the Phantom 2 non-vision with h3 2d gimbal. My questions are:

a) It seems like HeliPal is one of the most popular online retailers for drones, but they don't sell the Phantom 2/gimbal combo. B and H does, though. Has anyone dealt with them? They don't specialize in drones/rc stuff so are they still a safe bet? I would assume so. Other major retailers I should check, that have the combo?

b) The batteries for the Phantom 2 are pricey! And from what I've been able to gather, they are not the type of battery for which another company can produce a cheap knock-off. Am I correct in assuming that If I want to get a spare battery, I've got to pony up $150 or so no matter what? Or is it possible that down the road, these things get cheaper? Does that type of trend exist in the quad world?

c) If anyone else out there knows of a retailer with a better deal on phantom 2 quad/gimbal please let me know. I'm hoping to just get a go-pro on my own. If there is another great combo out there, which includes something else I know I'm going to have to buy, please share. B and H has a HUGE kit they have put together including carrying case, extra batts, etc, but it's a BIIIG purchase.

Thanks in advance, apologies if these questions have answers in the forum already- if so I wasn't able to find them.

B&H is safe to deal with. I've bought thousands of dollars worth of camera gear from them over the years and won't deal with anyone else when it comes to camera stuff. But you won't be able to get any product support from them regarding r/c stuff. So based on that I would look elsewhere.

B&H is probably one of the best places to get camera & video gear in the U.S.A. Very reputable company.

elcartero said:
Hey all, I'm a total newbie and I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on my first quad. I'm impressed with how much info I've been able to get from this forum. After a lot of research, I've decided that since I'm really interested in high quality video, I'm going to get the Phantom 2 non-vision with h3 2d gimbal. My questions are:

a) It seems like HeliPal is one of the most popular online retailers for drones, but they don't sell the Phantom 2/gimbal combo. B and H does, though. Has anyone dealt with them? They don't specialize in drones/rc stuff so are they still a safe bet? I would assume so. Other major retailers I should check, that have the combo?

b) The batteries for the Phantom 2 are pricey! And from what I've been able to gather, they are not the type of battery for which another company can produce a cheap knock-off. Am I correct in assuming that If I want to get a spare battery, I've got to pony up $150 or so no matter what? Or is it possible that down the road, these things get cheaper? Does that type of trend exist in the quad world?

c) If anyone else out there knows of a retailer with a better deal on phantom 2 quad/gimbal please let me know. I'm hoping to just get a go-pro on my own. If there is another great combo out there, which includes something else I know I'm going to have to buy, please share. B and H has a HUGE kit they have put together including carrying case, extra batts, etc, but it's a BIIIG purchase.

Thanks in advance, apologies if these questions have answers in the forum already- if so I wasn't able to find them.

I've purchased 10's of thousands of dollars worth of equipment from B&H over many years - they are excellent. I'd gladly pay a few dollars more to B&H even if they weren't the cheapest. Excellent support on the rare occasion that I needed it.

I bought the Phantom v1 last summer along with a carrying case - get a case, it's too much of an investment to not be protected.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl