A cinematic travel video shot with DJI Phantom 3 Standard

Reaction score
Spent the weekend away at a B&B in Alentejo, Portugal. Created a short teaser for a longer video I'm working on to document this trip.

Hope you enjoy, trying to mix different angles both using aerial and other types of shots.

Shot on my trusty DJI Phantom 3 Standard, Canon DSLR and GoPro Session (for the timelapse)

I got a p3s too, I hear all the rave about the 4K and how good it is but I'm quiet happy with 2.7k. If I ever had a YouTube channel that was doing well then I'd think about a P4 but as it is between my phantom, my Canon 5d and various GoPros I might end up with a fair channel

I got a p3s too, I hear all the rave about the 4K and how good it is but I'm quiet happy with 2.7k. If I ever had a YouTube channel that was doing well then I'd think about a P4 but as it is between my phantom, my Canon 5d and various GoPros I might end up with a fair channel

I agree with you in regards to 4k. I think 2.7k for online and even regular viewing on a TV is more than enough. Where 4k is helpful is in being able to crop, or reframe and/or zoom in in post in areas of the image. But I find that more helpful for DSLR video, more so than drone videos.

I shoot in 2.7k but then edit on a 1080p timeline because I tend to mix aerial footage with DSLR footage which has a max resolution of 1080p. Think it's more than enough. If I only shoot aerial footage then I edit on a 2.7k timeline and render that way for youtube.
Hi, what software do you use for editing. I am only using iMovie at the moment but aware that I may have to move to Final Cut or Premiere in the near future.

Hi, what software do you use for editing. I am only using iMovie at the moment but aware that I may have to move to Final Cut or Premiere in the near future.

I use Final Cut Pro X, started with iMovie, but FCPX provides an additional set of features and plugins for color grading and other effects that imovie doesn't. Also, I believe FCPX leverages a lot better all the hardware acceleration available on a Mac, so it's super fast. Compared to Premiere, I find that render times are significantly faster on FCPX and the learning curve is less steep, spefically coming from iMovie. I'm on v10.3.2, on a 2016 15" MBPro w/ 16GB ram and it renders a 2.7k timeline in 1/4 of realtime, so a 1 min video renders in 15s, it's impressive ! Previously I was editing on a 2009 13" MB Pro and the same timeline took about 1 hr to render ...

Apple offers a 30-day trial version of FCPx, give it a try, or try to watch some tutorials on Youtube to get a feel for how it works and see if it suits your needs.

I use Final Cut Pro X, started with iMovie, but FCPX provides an additional set of features and plugins for color grading and other effects that imovie doesn't. Also, I believe FCPX leverages a lot better all the hardware acceleration available on a Mac, so it's super fast. Compared to Premiere, I find that render times are significantly faster on FCPX and the learning curve is less steep, spefically coming from iMovie. I'm on v10.3.2, on a 2016 15" MBPro w/ 16GB ram and it renders a 2.7k timeline in 1/4 of realtime, so a 1 min video renders in 15s, it's impressive ! Previously I was editing on a 2009 13" MB Pro and the same timeline took about 1 hr to render ...

Apple offers a 30-day trial version of FCPx, give it a try, or try to watch some tutorials on Youtube to get a feel for how it works and see if it suits your needs.

I've also heard about Filmora it's a fremium product, I think you start with some basic free functionality and then can buy plugins. Not sure how fast it renders, but the UI looks cool. The advantage with staying with an Apple product is that it will be fully optimized for your hardware capabilities and that shows in editing smoothness and render speed.

I utilize Vegas 14 for my video editing... Been using it since version 4. It allows for intermediary files so that playback is smooth and edits are precise for 4k or 1080 at 120fps.

Reactions: Nuno Barreto

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20