550 Pilot's lounge

havasuphoto said:
I'm curious; what was the price difference between the 2 batteries, that yielded the extra 3 minutes?
are you using 10" props? Those flight times are great, in my opinion.

I was very impressed with his results. The 8000 mAh Lipo he used is listed at $69.00 with bullet connectors, the Onyz 6400 mAh is listed at $109 with a deans connector. The additional time and lower price on that lipo makes it a winner for me. Let's not also forget that it's only 60 grams heavier than the 6400 mAh. That is great!!!! Had I known that before I would have gone with the 8000 mAh but I've got two perfectly good 6400 mAh lipos and a 5500 mAh. That's enough flying time for me.....for now.

Thanks for the report on the lipo batteries.

havasuphoto said:
I'm curious; what was the price difference between the 2 batteries, that yielded the extra 3 minutes?
are you using 10" props? Those flight times are great, in my opinion.
Yes, I am using the stock 10" DJI props. The 5500mah battery from Helipal costs 79.90, plus shipping from Hong Kong, which is $29 for 1 or $37 for 2 batteries. http://www.helipal.com/storm-11-1v-5500mah-35c-lipo-battery-pack.html I got mine with the 550, so shipping was pretty much a non-issue at the time.
The RMRC battery is listed at $69.99, although they are out of stock pretty frequently like now, but you can sign up for an email when they are back in stock. Shipping for 2 of them was $9. The RMRC battery does need an adapter to go from bullet to Dean's connector, but that's not very much. Also, I do eventually plan to resolder all of my battery connections to XT60 connectors for consistency. I don't really care for the Dean's that much.
One thing I forgot to mention earlier. When I did my test yesterday, it was with winds blowing in the 10-15 mph range. Just FYI.

Just got back from some more range testing with my Boscam FPV setup. Check this out and tell me what you think.

U.M.

Please excuse the pictures. I took them with a DSLR since I currently have no way to capture the video out from the Diversity receiver.

Here I am out to a bit over a 1000 meters and the picture is still crisp and clear.
fpv001s.jpg

I could have gone farther but the 550 was out flying my 8FGS and fail-safing before I could hit 1400 meters.
fpv003s.jpg

Even on the return trip with the BluBean angled away from the receiver I'm still getting decent quality video.
fpv002s.jpg

Uncle Meat said:
Just got back from some more range testing with my Boscam FPV setup. Check this out and tell me what you think.

U.M.

Please excuse the pictures. I took them with a DSLR since I currently have no way to capture the video out from the Diversity receiver.

Here I am out to a bit over a 1000 meters and the picture is still crisp and clear.
fpv001s.jpg

I could have gone farther but the 550 was out flying my 8FGS and fail-safing before I could hit 1400 meters.
fpv003s.jpg

Even on the return trip with the BluBean angled away from the receiver I'm still getting decent quality video.
fpv002s.jpg

WOW!!! Okay....which transmitter do you have and which antennas are you using. That is incredible. I'm ready for some upgrading. LOL!! I see you triggered "Fail Safe" on the last photo.....Why?

1400m with clear signal? That's great! It's also further than I've taken out any of my MRs ( at 1200m I get lots of signal cutout and snow).

Are you going to shoot for farther?

FangsCPO said:
WOW!!! Okay....which transmitter do you have and which antennas are you using. That is incredible. I'm ready for some upgrading. LOL!! I see you triggered "Fail Safe" on the last photo.....Why?
I triggered it so I could relax for a second and snap a couple pics of the FPV screen. My FPV system actually has more range than my Futaba 8FGS! Since it was on autopilot I thought I would snap a pic to demonstrate that even with the Tx antenna pointing away from me I still had decent video. By the way... I'm using channel 4 on my Boscam Tx because it has the most output power.

Boscam TS353 400mW Transmitter with a BluBeam Ultra 3 lobe Airscrew antenna
Boscam RX-LCD5802 Diversity receiver with a BluBeam Ultra 5 lobe Mad Mushroom one one side and a Circular Wireless Helical Axial Antenna on the other.

BluBeam Ultra's.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HBF ... UTF8&psc=1

Circular Wireless Helical Axial.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GP5 ... UTF8&psc=1

U.M.

Tx is mounted with double-sided tape to the bottom of the 550's bottom plate facing rearward. Antenna is bent down at about a 45 degree angle.
fpv004s.jpg

Rx
fpv005s.jpg

Nice range!

I'm not even close to having that much intestinal fortitude. Every time I get to 600 meters I figure it is out-of-sight and I've proved my point - and back she comes.

The circular wireless helical is the nuts. It is the best antenna I have.

havasuphoto said:
Did that bendable extension come with the helical?

Mine did not. You can get them (or make them) for a few bucks. I didn't need one. I put mine on my Diversity (or DJI rx) with a 90 bend and just aimed the rx as needed. I often put my rx on a tripod cuz I think it is a hassle to have it in front of me. However, if I have it on my controller it is still very handy. The width is quite good (60 degrees). It is easy to aim. Just point it in the general direction and you've got it.

Edit: Also, if you have a Diversity and use a skew planar for the second antenna, general aiming is all you need since the skew planar will be good out to several hundred meters - at that time, the 60 degree cone of the helical will catch the signal.

ladykate said:
havasuphoto said:
Did that bendable extension come with the helical?

Mine did not. You can get them (or make them) for a few bucks. I didn't need one. I put mine on my Diversity (or DJI rx) with a 90 bend and just aimed the rx as needed. I often put my rx on a tripod cuz I think it is a hassle to have it in front of me. However, if I have it on my controller it is still very handy. The width is quite good (60 degrees). It is easy to aim. Just point it in the general direction and you've got it.
Thanks-I found the link posted a few pages back.

ElGuano said:
If I can find a way to increase the range I'm getting with my Futaba 8FGS I might. Right now 1400 meters is as far as I can go before it fail safes. There are longer antennas for the Futaba Rx which I haven't ordered (yet). I'm also wondering if they make a replacement antenna for the 8FGS that has a bit more gain.

ladykate said:
Nice range!

I'm not even close to having that much intestinal fortitude. Every time I get to 600 meters I figure it is out-of-sight and I've proved my point - and back she comes.

Thanks. I'm actually starting to enjoy this long range FPV stuff. :eek:
That antenna is amazing and coupled with that flexible mount makes it easy to "dial-in" and get the best picture.

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
ElGuano said:
If I can find a way to increase the range I'm getting with my Futaba 8FGS I might. Right now 1400 meters is as far as I can go before it fail safes. There are longer antennas for the Futaba Rx which I haven't ordered (yet). I'm also wondering if they make a replacement antenna for the 8FGS that has a bit more gain.

ladykate said:
Nice range!

Thanks. I'm actually starting to enjoy this long range FPV stuff. :eek:
That antenna is amazing and coupled with that flexible mount makes it easy to "dial-in" and get the best picture.

U.M.
It would be nice if you could find something and test it out. My T8J stops transmitting at 1612M-on a good day, and that's at 60M up or so. I still get good clear video....but it just flips to F/S.
I'll be using the T8FG with the P2-which should be here sometime around 2014 :)

ladykate said:
Gotta love technology. I might try my 550 without a prop... maybe... ;-}

I forget... you said pick a soft spot, right?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUtseVbEcT4[/youtube]

havasuphoto said:
Tree!!!!
I think you almost had it ;)

Not even close. I was a mere observer. It wouldn't respond to reverse pitch at all. The tree was good - it would have hit the house beyond if I didn't wake up and kill the throttle (which may or may not have happened). I had only 5-6 satellites in GPS so that is probably why it was unreasonable. I flew a test flight with all props just before and it was rock solid so I figured it would be OK. Will have to try it again out at the field.

Took me 30 minutes to put the gimbal back on and test it (plus four props - two because they were really bad and two because they had slight burrs). It is now working again. But it will never trust me again, I'm sure. ;-}

Strangely, the vtx popped out and fell on the street. Scared the crap out of me because, as I walked up to it, it looked like the end of the GPS mast (it was the cloverleaf antenna). When I examined it, that double sided tape that Helipal had used had reverted to a mushy stuff - almost like a light oil. I wiped it down with acetone and still couldn't get it clean enough. Ended up tying the vtx on with a zip tie. At some point I guess I'll have to pop the top off and replace all that junk.

PJA said:
Finally got my f550 in the air on it's Maiden Test Flight!

Slight wind and just an all around lousy day, but I really wanted to fly it...

SUCCESS! The flight was 8 minutes and 32 seconds,from the time it lifted off, til touchdown...
I used an ONYX 6400 mah battery. I added my GoPro Camera last minute on top of the f550, so please don't laugh at my efforts. I just wanted to get some recorded footage in the air and test out my GoPro because it was damaged in a Phantom crash.

Altogether, the weight of my f550 was pushing 2300+ grams. I still need to add my Gimbal and FPV set up. Then I would think my Hex would be too heavy for any kind of long range flight... (maybe a 4S system or the 8000 mah battery you guys are talking about on here will yield me near 10 minutes of flight time) I know all my weight is in the landing gear, but you have to admit, my Hex looks really cool flying as it does... (sorry for the cheesy music...)

For some reason, my 'YouTube' and 'Vimeo' videos don't post directly... Looks like my Browser is locked on those sites...

Here's a direct link: https://vimeo.com/95473597
Where did you get the retractable gear for your F550?? How much was it and how much does it weigh?

Looks like I still might be getting an F550. Found a guy locally that builds them-and his price is very good-comes with a 4S 6400 battery. IKR!! :mrgreen:
Now-it only comes with Naza lite, and that will need to be changed to Naza-V2-I think, because I need Canbus....right?
I want to add iosd mini, h3-3d gimbal and fpv.
Here's the battery it comes with-and he says he can get more at a reasonable price-are these any good?
http://www.helidirect.com/plu35-660...-power-flat-pack-for-multi-rotors-p-27400.hdx

I know about the 8000mah at readymac-and am on the notify list. Guess I'll look in the battery forum to see what others have to say about batteries.
This one is set up with the red DJI motors and 10" DJI props, and a futaba FAAST receiver. So-now I just need to see more pictures and I'll get to actually fly it before I buy it!!!
OH, and this guy didn't mind spending 10 minutes on the phone answering my questions ;)
Oh, oh...it has lights!!

I really need at least 10 minutes per battery....and I'm pretty sure I'll load this thing up to max gross weight. I still want retracts............ :lol:

OI Photography said:
havasuphoto said:
Here's the battery it comes with-and he says he can get more at a reasonable price-are these any good?
http://www.helidirect.com/plu35-660...-power-flat-pack-for-multi-rotors-p-27400.hdx

I'm pretty sure it's the same battery that RMRC and others have rebranded: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=2326

I haven't tested it yet, but if they don't get the 8000mAh back in stock soon I may have to.
Cool. FYI, we don't have a "battery section"....must be the other forum.

havasuphoto said:
OI Photography said:
havasuphoto said:

I'm pretty sure it's the same battery that RMRC and others have rebranded: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=2326

I haven't tested it yet, but if they don't get the 8000mAh back in stock soon I may have to.
Cool. FYI, we don't have a "battery section"....must be the other forum.

Battery section...?

[/quote]

Battery section...?[/quote]
I thought there was a section on this forum or the other mult-rotor forum about just batteries-was wrong.
Right now-I have issues with puffing on my batteries. Got 5 being replaced-but I'm pretty sure I'm the problem, not the battery. So-long story short, getting a new charger and going to stop "topping off" the batteries before I go out and fly.
Apparently if they are around 95% or so-and you plug them into the charger to top them off, it causes puffing. And, it was "doing it wrong". Had some batteries that would stop charging, and only show 12.60 volts(3s2200 and 2800), but I knew I could get them to 12.72. So, I unplugged them, and plugged them back into the charger until they would go up to at least 12.70. Guess that's a bad idea.....
I have a lot to learn about LiPO batteries ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT