550 Pilot's lounge

There isn't a battery section but there are numerous threads about batteries including a couple in this area. That probably threw you off.

Yea....might be nice to have a subsection from batteries, since there are so many different options for the F550.
There is a separate battery section on another forum-but it's kind of all mixed up between cars and aircraft.

I've been doing some adjustments on my FPV system and with my current transmitter antenna placement, I've been able to go out further than before without loosing any video feed.

I'm not confident enough to go out too far but this was the farthest out that I've taken my hexacopter. On this flight, I reached a height 245m and a distance of 565m.

I'm still using my HERO3 Black Edition that spent two days underwater.....and it wasn't in the waterproof case.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj71Dbd82o4[/youtube]

I've done 600 out on mine (height was probably 130 m) - it should be just as good as the Phantom - as I'm sure yours will be, too. The major constraint will be the battery time - for the really long distances. However, 600 meters was pretty far away for me so I'm content with what I have.

It is looking at me from my work bench right now. I think it is still pissed because I did the motor test.

ladykate said:
I've done 600 out on mine (height was probably 130 m) - it should be just as good as the Phantom - as I'm sure yours will be, too. The major constraint will be the battery time - for the really long distances. However, 600 meters was pretty far away for me so I'm content with what I have.

It is looking at me from my work bench right now. I think it is still pissed because I did the motor test.

I can't believe you did that test either. LOL!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ladykate said:

I can't believe you did it either. LOL!!

havasuphoto said:
Had some batteries that would stop charging, and only show 12.60 volts(3s2200 and 2800), but I knew I could get them to 12.72. So, I unplugged them, and plugged them back into the charger until they would go up to at least 12.70.

A-ha! I believe I have found the source of your puffing :D

The issue isn't so much that you shouldn't top them off before flights (although that's not a good idea itself), but rather that you're going over 12.6v when you do it. You should never charge lipos beyond 4.2v/cell, or 12.6v for a 3S. In fact, most chargers should shut you off at that voltage unless you manually override it.

I think you may be lucky that puffing was the only negative side effect of that.

Havas where did you get the idea to charge your 3S lipos beyond 12.60v?

FangsCPO said:

FangsCPO said:

Just somewhat risky.

FangsCPO said:

From my own little head ;)
I had some come off the DJI phantom charger at 12.72 and 12.74. Well-that's more than 12.60, so in my mind-that was a good thing.
apparently not.....knowing what I know now.
I'll get a new charger where the shut-off is more accurate-and I can tell how many mah went back in.

I do remember the 4.20 number.......but I wanted More Power!!!

Because I know there are lots of recommendations about battery charging and battery state - without much background reference - I decided to research a little and see if I could get something that would apply to me. I made a separate thread in this forum - it is here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16237&p=148148#p148148

One of the references I cite - by someone who seems to know what he is doing - says that once you puff one up, you should discharge it and discard it since it is severely weakened and/or could catch fire.

OI Photography said:
havasuphoto said:
I do remember the 4.20 number.......but I wanted More Power!!!

Well I do see how an exploding lipo would probably be a very powerful thing and therefore not far off from your goal :lol:

BOOM! POWAH!!
The puffed one's do seem to go faster ;)
Not sure why the DJI charger goes past 4.20 on any cell. But, we'll fix that next week with a good charger.

Some chargers will let you overcharge cells to 4.26v or 4.28v. Definitely not my thing :O I've had some cells come off CV balancing at 4.22v, which is as high as I'd really want it to go. Typically it happens not because it's designed to do so, but because of poor calibration or reading under load while balancing.

ElGuano said:
Some chargers will let you overcharge cells to 4.26v or 4.28v. Definitely not my thing :O I've had some cells come off CV balancing at 4.22v, which is as high as I'd really want it to go. Typically it happens not because it's designed to do so, but because of poor calibration or reading under load while balancing.
I have 2 identical DJI chargers for the Phantom 1 batteries, and both "balance" to above 4.20 on a regular basis-hence my problem.

I'm even starting to see the gray DJI batteries puff a bit, and I've barely flown those. So, those chargers are going in the trash.
I can pick up one of those fancy Hyperion chargers locally for about the same price as online-so I'll just go with that.

Now my dilemma; I can buy an F550(either build locally for from the dealer-doesn't matter), OR, I can buy a Phantom 2. I really don't think I need both.
So-which aircraft is going to handle the wind better, and be a more stable AP platform?
Also-does anyone have any speed reading from their F550's? I need a minimum of 12m/sec, and ideally in Atti mode, around 15m/sec.
1 of my concerns with the F550 is flight time....but, there's a battery for that. The other is, where to mount the H3-3D so that the arms and props aren't in view while going forward at speed. For the Phantom-you need to tilt the camera down about, say 10 degree's. How many more degree's would I need to tilt it down for the 550?

Just trying to weigh all my options....as I have an event coming up, and a request for a production shoot(which will probably end up being to windy to fly), and need to get something headed this way.

havasuphoto said:
So-which aircraft is going to handle the wind better, and be a more stable AP platform?

No brainer - 550

Also-does anyone have any speed reading from their F550's? I need a minimum of 12m/sec, and ideally in Atti mode, around 15m/sec.

Don't have reliable speed readings - just haven't bothered to look. However, my 550 isn't as fast as the P2 (at least it doesn't seem so). Although it still goes well. I think my 810 is faster but it should be.

The other is, where to mount the H3-3D so that the arms and props aren't in view while going forward at speed. For the Phantom-you need to tilt the camera down about, say 10 degree's. How many more degree's would I need to tilt it down for the 550?

If you use the plastic gear and not the cradle many of us have been moving to, you can tilt the camera down a bit and fly hard and not see the gear. The props are easier to get into view so fly backwards for speed with no gear/props in view. The mounting point for the gimbal is shown on the Helipal build. You can also move it out onto the arms using the BatWing thing but I've read where you have to compensate it quite a bit because it is prone to jello. The H3-3D definitely has a tendency to show jello so you need to tie it down securely - closer to the center the better. I had to tweak mine quite a bit to get rid of the wavies - however, I was able to lick it.

+1 to what Kate said.

I don't think you'll get the same flight times off a 550, at least not easily/cheaply; the phantom has such great endurance. And if you're going forward at speed a lot while filming, do you really need something stable in the wind? That's going to be some buffeted footage regardless of stabilization!

I think the biggest consideration here is portability. Where will you be flying? I have never taken my hex outside my county. It's small but is still a pain to fit in the car with any kind of luggage. My phantom has traveled with me to other states and can go on road trips and flights without disassembly, which is a huge boon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West