550 Pilot's lounge

ElGuano said:
I think the biggest consideration here is portability.

Yep. I've taken the P2 on airplanes (real airplanes ;-}). Without disassembling the 550, I couldn't get it on-board. The P2 is definitely handy for travel. The 550 not so much. The 810 is worse (by at least double). The P2 will always have a place.

ladykate said:
ElGuano said:

Yep. I've taken the P2 on airplanes (real airplanes ;-}). Without disassembling the 550, I couldn't get it on-board. The P2 is definitely handy for travel. The 550 not so much. The 810 is worse (by at least double). The P2 will always have a place.
Can't you take some bolts? out of the arms of the 550 and fold them?
I have an SUV, so I have plenty of room. But, it's usually filled with Pelican cases full of equipment, leaving just enough room for my Rubbermaid Tote that contains the Phantom and also doubles as my helipad. If it won't fit in that space-it has to stay home.
bummer!!

havasuphoto said:
I have an SUV, so I have plenty of room. But, it's usually filled with Pelican cases full of equipment, leaving just enough room for my Rubbermaid Tote that contains the Phantom and also doubles as my helipad. If it won't fit in that space-it has to stay home.
bummer!!

Sure. But it would be a tedious thing to do if you were working. To make a serious dent in it, you would have to fold four arms over to two that remain stationary. Each arm has six M2.5 (or so) screws. Putting it back together would be time consuming. You would need a table and a bit of uninterrupted peace. The screws aren't big-hand friendly. Maybe replace the screws with another type that can be hand tightened. You would still have the GPS mast and perhaps the gimbal to protect (unless you released them, too). With that, I don't think it would fit on board an airplane. It would be too big.

Mine will fit on my front truck seat (just barely) or I can put it in the back (I have a topper). I usually slide it in the back.

havasuphoto said:
ladykate said:
ElGuano said:

bummer!!

Lots of good info here.

So are we saying the H3-D3 suffers from jello effect? I was about to get one but now I'm having my doubts. I may just get a H3-D2 for my Phantom v1 instead. In regards to the F550 being suitable for travel...not so much. Unless you are traveling in a SUV but on airplane.....that could be tough. You can take some bolts out and fold it somwhat so it looks rectangular shaped. That's how it arrived from China for me since I purchased the RTF but I wouldn't make that the norm. For me, that would get on my nerves eventually. When traveling in a plane...carry the lipos with me in a lipo bag...is that the norm?

Ok, thanks.
Also-someone else on another forum said; "avoid the one's with the red motors and the 30ESC"..."go with the E300 and 15 ESC".
They said the bearing were better?? But, why go with a 15ESC for 4S?

havasuphoto said:
Ok, thanks.
Also-someone else on another forum said; "avoid the one's with the red motors and the 30ESC"..."go with the E300 and 15 ESC".
They said the bearing were better?? But, why go with a 15ESC for 4S?

I've upgraded mine to the E300..........and surprisingly it does have alot more kick but you won't be adding any additional flying times from what I've see so far. I'm flying with 3S so I can't say anything about 4S. All I can say is that it does fly a little faster than before and it's more responsive to my control inputs. I had initally assumed I would gain more flight time because of the lower rated amp ESCs but that was not the case. Nonetheless, if you are going to buy a F550 now...just make sure you get the newer version....Black/Grey motors and grey props. That will be the F550 with the E300 system already in place. If not, it will run you $300 to upgrade from the stock red motors and stock black props. Good Luck!

FangsCPO said:
So are we saying the H3-D3 suffers from jello effect? I was about to get one but now I'm having my doubts.

Many have noted it does (check out the lengthy 3d threads on this forum). I had it when I first installed it but was able to get it tamed. Since a 2d now costs about the same as a 3d (in fact, you can get the 3d cheaper in some cases), I would definitely go with the 3d.

If you buy an H3-3D for the P1, remember that it requires a hole in your Phantom (or some gizmo to allow for the third servo).

ladykate said:
FangsCPO said:
So are we saying the H3-D3 suffers from jello effect? I was about to get one but now I'm having my doubts.

Many have noted it does (check out the lengthy 3d threads on this forum). I had it when I first installed it but was able to get it tamed. Since a 2d now costs about the same as a 3d (in fact, you can get the 3d cheaper in some cases), I would definitely go with the 3d.

If you buy an H3-3D for the P1, remember that it requires a hole in your Phantom (or some gizmo to allow for the third servo).

I may just put the H3-D2 currently on my F550 onto my Phantom and get the H3-D3 for my F550. It's a wait and see right now. I just have to get the Phantom ready for the H3-D2 gimble and iOSD.....board upgrade time.

FangsCPO said:
I may just put the H3-D2 currently on my F550 onto my Phantom and get the H3-D3 for my F550.

That is what I did.

ladykate said:
FangsCPO said:

Does not. They have a "kit" coming out with a thicker mounting spacer, and the taller Vision landing gear-no hole required.
That's what I've been waiting almost 3 months for!!!
I was NOT going to buy a Phantom 2 with the hole-because I saw them in person at the NAB show, and also saw the Vision plus. And I realized a hole was not required!!! Just lower the gimbal with a different mount, vision gear, done!!

Also-I would tell anyone that is thinking of buying the H3-3D, to get the version that comes with the GCU-even if you don't use it now. Down the road, if you decide to use it on another platform-you will need the newest GCU to upgrade the gimbal. I'm told the 2D GCU will work, but you will not be able to upgrade the firmware(clever DJI?).

I'm starting to "push back" from the F550, simply because it's becoming harder for my to justify. I have work for the Phantom 2-and that's a known platform for me. I'm just not sure if I would need or use the F550 that much....except maybe on windy days(which is pretty much all Summer, everyday!!!).

ladykate said:
FangsCPO said:
I may just put the H3-D2 currently on my F550 onto my Phantom and get the H3-D3 for my F550.

That is what I did.

Good to know....now I can I pick your brain. I know I'll need to upgrade the board. Will I also be able to use iOSD? Is it easy to do the upgrade?

havasuphoto said:
Does not. They have a "kit" coming out with a thicker mounting spacer,

Yes, that would be the 'gizmo' I mentioned in the last part of the sentence. I made one so it isn't rocket science - but it has to be allowed for.

ladykate said:
havasuphoto said:
Does not. They have a "kit" coming out with a thicker mounting spacer,

Yes, that would be the 'gizmo' I mentioned in the last part of the sentence. I made one so it isn't rocket science - but it has to be allowed for.
Yea-you would think someone smart person with a 3D printer would have printed one out by now......I know some people are using spacers.
I just saw a whole lot of issues that the hole in the bottom of the aircraft-and did not want to go that way.
Also-I have a version 1.0(with the plug in the back for the GP), on hold-so no ribbon cable for me.

havasuphoto said:
Also-I have a version 1.0(with the plug in the back for the GP), on hold-so no ribbon cable for me.

I have a destroyed 2D that, if the ribbon cable proves weak, I can rob the back plate from.

FangsCPO said:
ladykate said:
FangsCPO said:

That is what I did.

Good to know....now I can I pick your brain. I know I'll need to upgrade the board. Will I also be able to use iOSD? Is it easy to do the upgrade?

I did not install it on the P2. The hook up is the same as the h3-2d for the F550 (or T810) with DJI components. iOSD works just like before. The only difference is the little interface board they provide - you hook that between the gimbal and the normal cable that goes to the iOSD. They provide the parts. You can see it in the picture below. I mounted it on top of the front deck. Oh... and since the picture below was taken, I changed the bumpers out to the blacks. That helped a lot.

Attachments

• h3-d3 1 - small.jpg
    h3-d3 1 - small.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 300
I tested out one of the 8000 mah Onyx batteries today. I can only say 'wow'. I got just about 14 minutes before second warning popped in. This is with a normal configuration, the neewer skid (like a neewer), and a relatively aggressive flight. I made three high speed runs (to answer Havasu's question about speed) and several up/down/sideways maneuvers. I did not hover - other than to show a passerby how it worked - except for a short while between first and second warning and right at the end when I didn't want to be up very high when it finally initiated landing. As it ended up, I was around 90 percent discharge (under load). More than I would normally do but interesting that I got so much time out of it in a non-hovering flight.

Oh... and I was getting 14.5 km in a 12 mph cross-wind. It could probably do more but it was taking a bit of space to get up to speed and I wanted to keep it inside this nice soft field I had picked for testing.

Weight with battery is 2488 grams.

ladykate said:
I tested out one of the 8000 mah Onyx batteries today. I can only say 'wow'. I got just about 14 minutes before second warning popped in. This is with a normal configuration, the neewer skid (like a neewer), and a relatively aggressive flight. I made three high speed runs (to answer Havasu's question about speed) and several up/down/sideways maneuvers. I did not hover - other than to show a passerby how it worked - except for a short while between first and second warning and right at the end when I didn't want to be up very high when it finally initiated landing. As it ended up, I was around 90 percent discharge (under load). More than I would normally do but interesting that I got so much time out of it in a non-hovering flight.

Oh... and I was getting 14.5 km in a 12 mph cross-wind. It could probably do more but it was taking a bit of space to get up to speed and I wanted to keep it inside this nice soft field I had picked for testing.

Thanks. Did you mean 14.5m/sec? And, isn't max AUW 2400 grams?
I love your H3-3D mounting plate....it looks like it's out in front. How do you balance the COG?

All this talk about AP work-I'm wondering if anyone has done any flips or rolls with their F550?
I'm not exactly "out of the market".....just need justification of the purchase-which I can't do right now.
I have a P2+H3-3D coming eventually-and that's a known thing to me. It will do the AP work I need done for a couple of customers next month....then, I'll see how much I have left over from that job to spend.

But-I'm also wondering what the video looked like when you were flying at full speed, and "yanking and banking", so to speak?
That's incredible flight time, BTW. It would be the same in the P2-I don't think mine will do more than what you did.

havasuphoto said:
Thanks. Did you mean 14.5m/sec? And, isn't max AUW 2400 grams?

Duh... yes. Told you I didn't pay attention to it much.

Don't know what max AUW is - the recommended is 1200 to about 2400. Mine is about 1900 without a battery. It is heavy-ish but it has everything on it including the landing skids. The battery weighs 588 so it is battery heavy. Like I said, I was completely surprised by the results.

I love your H3-3D mounting plate....it looks like it's out in front. How do you balance the COG?

That plate is on the 810. I am using an H3-2D on the 550. COG on the 550 is almost dead center. I know I said 'that is what I did' to the question about swapping the 2D from the 550 to the Phantom. It was just that I did it on the 810 and didn't want to confuse the issue (like I now have). The 810 hookup is the same as the 550.

All this talk about AP work-I'm wondering if anyone has done any flips or rolls with their F550?

Not me. The 550 setup is kinda awkward for that. The battery placement (at least the stock one) is such that I would be afraid of it coming loose if it had a few Gs. Mine came loose once just in a strong wind.

But-I'm also wondering what the video looked like when you were flying at full speed, and "yanking and banking", so to speak?
That's incredible flight time, BTW. It would be the same in the P2-I don't think mine will do more than what you did.

I was pushing it (but I did have the second warning turned on - didn't want a repeat of the last time I did an endurance test). I think a reliable 12-13 minutes

Just jumping in with some trivia:

If we're talking about E300 class 2212/920kv motors, DJI's "recommended" load is 300g/axis. For the 550, that makes it 1800g, which would be extremely barebones--few people carrying any kind of accessories can reasonably keep that that limit. 1200g for an F450 is tough to maintain as well.

Most people fly these motors with loads between 300-400g/axis (2400g), which DJI says is fine, but will result in faster wear on bearings. They've also claimed that the max load is 600g/axis (3600g) but this is at the expense of having any power remaining for maneuverability, so it may be best use that as a worst case motor failure scenario (you SHOULD be able to maintain hover at full throttle with 5 working motors @ 3000g AUW).

With those numbers in mind, I'd say anything around 2400g is a very good AUW to use as a general max. Incrementally more has a corresponding impact on performance.

ladykate said:

That is awesome!!!! I'll wait on getting that battery since I've got 2 perfectly good 6400 mAh and one 5500 mAh. For now, that's plenty flying time for me. Thanks for the report!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West