4k video is very choppy

Reaction score
Ok, So I have the latest Macbook Air with Intel core Processor I5 and 4Gb of RAM. I purchased the new Phantom 4 drone and have 4k footage and imported it into Final Cut Pro X and it is extremely laggy and says "Frame Rates are Dropping". Help. Was wondering if I need a more powerful device but I saw video of people editing 4k video in Macbook Air so not sure what I am doing wrong, please help.

Most likely they proxied their 4K vid files

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Did you move the clips to the laptop drive or leave it on the SD card? This avoids the proxy question. Also, 4GB RAM is not a lot for 4k. I'm running 16GB (on a Win 10 machine).

Yeah, no way that computer can handle unproxied 4k. i7 and 8GB is the recommended minimum. 16 is much better. My i7 Mac Mini with 16GB still has trouble, and the culprit is the hard drive. MBP with i7 and 16GB w/solid drive breezes through 4k. Look for a benchmarking tool in the App store to see what your computer can really handle.

When you want a faster workflow, you can proxy the files, edit the proxies then switch to the original files for final rendering.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Was wondering if I need a more powerful device but I saw video of people editing 4k video in Macbook Air so not sure what I am doing wrong, please help.
Just learn to use proxies...plenty of youtubes on how to maximize performance.

Set Final Cut optimize the media (to ProRes422). With my old Mac mini 2009 that works OK although takes a while (I tried also proxy but it stuttered).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj