Video editing

Reaction score
I am new to the drone flying and video editing. I have a laptop hp15-f387wm. It has Amd quad core a8-7410 Apu with 4 gigs of RAM. When I try to edit my videos from the SD card I took out of the phantom 4 pro, it seems like my laptop has a hard time processing the video. It's choppy and laggy. The editor I am using is Resolve. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Video editing generally is a very demanding activity for a device, sounds like yours is a underpowered. Lots of options, like upgrading memory, disk, cpu different editor app but near impossible to know from afar. what resolution is your video being recorded at? 4K will cause many to struggle - if so you could shoot in 1080p (obviously it’s lower res). Is this helping?

I am new to the drone flying and video editing. I have a laptop hp15-f387wm. It has Amd quad core a8-7410 Apu with 4 gigs of RAM.
No where near enough RAM for the processing needed, Especially if you are trying to shoot in 4K. Try reducing your recordings to 1080P, then to 720P if that is still too large. Doing anything in 4K, requires much more.

Hey don’t edit the files direct from the card, copy them onto the main drive 4K files are wicked to edit Try recording in a lower format if that doesn’t help

It's either you lower the resolution or upgrade your PC. Quad-core 3ghz and 8gb is the minimum requirements for most 4k video editors.

You may be able to downsize the size of your vid in process, like Premiere Pro has an option to reduce the images down to 1/8th size and they play back better with less effort.

Reactions: cneedelman
Pepsiman6886: DaVinci Resolve is superb. Unfortunately, we had to abandon it after a top-spec Dell laptop and Windows 10 update caused a block that even the very helpful BlackMagic tech team couldn’t sort. There are two workarounds from what I remember from nearly a year ago, so you’re editing temporarily in a lower resolution but then rendering at a higher one. One is by using proxy files as mentioned by someone above. Phone or email their helpline people, depending on which country you’re in.

I also found several excellent YouTube tutorial series on both this subject and many others for Resolve (including for earlier versions but still relevant).

Once you get past the early learning curve, it all gets easier.

Personally, I wouldn’t render in less than 1080P.

Resolve is a great video editor but it's very demanding when it comes to PC resources.
I'd recommend VSDC cause it works smoothly even of Windows 7 with about 2-4 GB RAM. Here is the review.

For some very basic tasks like splitting a video into parts, Avidemux should also work for you, as it's quite lightweight.

Totally agree. VSDC is a great app for editing. I've been using it since 2019, and I don't think any of you will have problems with it.

I've been into video editing for a few years now, mainly for personal projects and a bit of freelance work. I understand the frustration with choppy and laggy video editing, especially with high-resolution footage from something like a Phantom 4 Pro. Your laptop specs might be a bit on the lower side for handling such heavy files in Resolve, which is quite a demanding software.

From my experience, using a more lightweight editing software can make a big difference. I've been using Movavi for its simplicity and efficiency. It's not as resource-intensive, so it might run smoother on your laptop. Plus, it offers a good range of features for basic to intermediate editing, which I found really useful. You can read more about its features and how it could suit your needs here: Online Image Converter – Convert image files to JPG, PNG, and more

I have a Mac with 32GB of high speed memory. 3 TB of storage. I have no problem with video editing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik