4 Pro or 4 Pro+?

Reaction score
I'm a previous PV2+ owner that got a lemon. I'm going to bite the bullet and take another chance on DJI. I really don't have time for problems so please help me boil it down between these Phantom 4 Pros.

Advantage of the 4 Pro+ seems to be the bright screen but some say the software is buggy and crashes.

The 4 Pro can mount a larger device such as an iPad mini. I like the idea of a larger screen but if I need to run a hood in sunlight that could be troublesome for me.

Is the RC+ and screen really problematic or is it just that some have had bad experiences and it's generally reliable?

Is the RC standalone really that hard to see in bright daylight on an iPad mini?

Any other info would be much appreciated.
thanks in advance.

I'm a previous PV2+ owner that got a lemon. I'm going to bite the bullet and take another chance on DJI. I really don't have time for problems so please help me boil it down between these Phantom 4 Pros.
The biggest issue for most is that the Pro + cannot load 3rd party apps like Litchi or mapping software.
Second issue is the screen is very small for many users.

Reactions: Realtour Pro
The following review explains the pros and cons of the P4P+ remote controller:

I just got the Pro+ having had a P3S with an ipad air2 previously.

I really like the ease of packing, unpacking, and flying with the integrated screen. Very quick setup, one less thing to connect and charge, etc.

I also like the brightness of the screen compared to my ipad air2.

And I like less windage and weight hanging off the controller, although this is minor.

I did like the larger screen of the ipad however.

I also liked that I could leave the ipad on to keep satellite maps cached whereas now with the integrated if you don't have cell coverage, you have to leave the whole controller on which I didn't want to do in the foam case for fear of something overheating. So no satellite maps unless I have cell coverage.

I don't yet use anything except dji go to fly, so that limitation didn't bother me (yet).

For me, the top of the line crystal sky monitor which is even brighter would be the ideal in brightness and size... but this was out of my price range.

they new iPad is going to be brighter i read. might be a good idea to get it to use your your new pro
I assume your speaking of the new iPad Pro? It's supposedly brighter than other iPads and it's 10.5" I wonder if it will fit in the controllers holder?

I assume your speaking of the new iPad Pro? It's supposedly brighter than other iPads and it's 10.5" I wonder if it will fit in the controllers holder?

most likely. the overall size looks to be the same. the screen is bigger and they removed some bezel

I plan to attach my 10.1" tablet when I have the accessory extender, which costs a few bucks. Current Pro RC will not hold that size.

If you "don't have time for problems" I'd suggest the Pro+ - just get the inbuilt screen and be done with it using DJI than 3rd party smartphones/tablets/hoods, etc.

RoOSTA

I plan to attach my 10.1" tablet when I have the accessory extender, which costs a few bucks. Current Pro RC will not hold that size.

If you "don't have time for problems" I'd suggest the Pro+ - just get the inbuilt screen and be done with it using DJI than 3rd party smartphones/tablets/hoods, etc.

RoOSTA
I think that's the direction I'm going. I think it's great that using an iOS device allows creative expansion. I'm just taking real estate photos and I actually would rather shoot with my DSLR equipment but sometimes the only great angle is from above with a drone. Also, the DJI Goggles are very appealing. I'm guessing that they will connect to the Pro+ controller. That would also allow a greater field of vision for framing shots. "Real Estate" On the fence and leaning Pro+ but I'm still listening to advice.

Last edited:
Why anyone might pay a premium for a mediocre android device that is locked down tighter than the Apple ecosystem is beyond me. Go the non plus and make your choice as to device preference and which apps you want to fly with.

Why anyone might pay a premium for a mediocre android device that is locked down tighter than the Apple ecosystem is beyond me. Go the non plus and make your choice as to device preference and which apps you want to fly with.

Yep, there's absolutely zero reason (that I can see) to go with the P4P+

Reactions: low_budget
Because it's simply the quickest, most solid connection and fastest deploy there is, not to mention it is plenty bright for flying in the sun. I wouldn't have anything else, now. I'm spoiled to it.

I have the CrystalSky Pro Plus controller and I have to say it hardly ever has a software crash unlike the regular P4P pro and an external android device. That being said, the "con" side of owning Plus is you have now joined the "step child" club. We are usually the last to get firmware updates (which sometimes isn't a bad thing), and I am just now finding out my HDMI port isn't necessarily compatible with 3rd party FPV goggles such as the Avegant Glyphs (which I question the timing of this "uncompatibility" with the release of the new DJI goggles). So, as in all things there is some good and bad. If you are in the drone game for just Realty work I am sure it will be just fine.

I have an amendment to make in this last statement. I have upgraded my Avegant Glyphs to the newest FW version 1.16 and now I have no problem with the HDMI port on the P4P Plus. I can use both frequencies 2.4 and 5.8GHz with no problems on the Glyphs. (6/17/2017).

Last edited:
Ended up going with the 4 Pro+

I originally thought that the + version was known for crashing it's controller's OS. I also purchased DJI's Care Refresh 1 yr plan. Hopefully it won't be like my last Phantom and will spend more time working than falling for no reason and I won't have to use the extra protection.

I want to thank everyone for your courteous helpful comments.

Because it's simply the quickest, most solid connection and fastest deploy there is, not to mention it is plenty bright for flying in the sun. I wouldn't have anything else, now. I'm spoiled to it.
Yes, clearly the benefits you have stated are real- unlikely to be compelling for those who have an interest in running third party flight apps however.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl