3D rendering

Reaction score
I have until now been using web based services to get my captures rendered. Mostly ALTIZURE and DroneDeploy. This is rather expensive imho, and I have been thinking about building a computer that can do the trick without melting and in reasonable time.
I'm not looking for the fastest available, but still a reasonably fast computer.

Has any of you guys done this? What should I think of? Where should I put the money? On the main processor or the graphic card?

And of corse: Which software should I use?

All advices are welcome, and thanks in advance

R

Have you looked into Maps Made Easy, http://www.dronesmadeeasy.com/Articles.asp?ID=254?
Small maps (nominally around 100 pictures) get processed for free and larger ones on a pretty reasonable pay as you go rate. I usually use their Map Pilot app to plan and fly missions, but have also used photos captured with Drone Deploy. Processing doesn't care what app flies the mission. Even the free maps have never taken longer than overnight to get processed

Oops, just realized that we have been talking about this same thing on another thread! Sorry for the duplication.

No problem. I know.
Why I'm asking is beacuse i realized that this is going to be rather expensive. In this special capture I'm using some 400 JPG:s 3k * 4k pixels shot from 35 meters height. I would love to follow your advice and go out to do a capture just for teaching, but the processing cost is some 50 US$.
I have been thinking about buying myself a larger suitable computer to process the images, but I don't know which one and how it should be equipped and which software to use.

R

Reactions: ferncfc
No problem. I know.
Why I'm asking is beacuse i realized that this is going to be rather expensive. In this special capture I'm using some 400 JPG:s 3k * 4k pixels shot from 35 meters height. I would love to follow your advice and go out to do a capture just for teaching, but the processing cost is some 50 US$.
I have been thinking about buying myself a larger suitable computer to process the images, but I don't know which one and how it should be equipped and which software to use.

R

I would suggest to go on a PC builders forum and tell them what you need it for, and they could probably tell you what parts you need in it to get the job done.

35m seems pretty low altitude. What kind of resolution are you going for? I have shot lots of 3d stuff on the DD and Altizure sites, they both recommend higher altitudes. I can usually get a resolution of less than an inch per pixel with altitudes of 200-250 feet

the processing cost is some 50 US$
Building a reasonably powerful computer that can tackle larger jobs (400 images isn't too bad, some can be over 2,000) can cost well over $1,500, and that would be the minimum. Software is even more expensive and there aren't too many open-source options. Basically, you're going to need to figure out if you've got enough work to invest in your business, or to play it loose and cheap. You will get much, much better results processing yourself, but it comes at a cost. Do some quick math to figure out how many jobs you expect to get, how much you're going to charge, and when you'll pay off that equipment.

As far as components go, you'll want the best CPU, most RAM, and best GPU that you can afford. Yes, I know that those are the main components for any computer, but photogrammetry software will try and squeeze every bit of life out of each one of those. Some software utilizes the RAM over the GPU, but with a low-cost build, you're going to pay for it with failed processing and long compilation times.

35m seems pretty low altitude. What kind of resolution are you going for? I have shot lots of 3d stuff on the DD and Altizure sites, they both recommend higher altitudes. I can usually get a resolution of less than an inch per pixel with altitudes of 200-250 feet

I guess you are right. I have mainly used 35 meters due to the crappy camera in my drone, but now I've purchased a P4Pro V2 I can move up to 50 meters.. Other problems though... The capture apps are not working with my drone due to DJI haven't released tha appropriate SDK yet.. So at the moment I'm floating belly up. The customers are angry, and I am angry. And DJI are just mailing me polite explanations..

Building a reasonably powerful computer that can tackle larger jobs (400 images isn't too bad, some can be over 2,000) can cost well over $1,500, and that would be the minimum. Software is even more expensive and there aren't too many open-source options. Basically, you're going to need to figure out if you've got enough work to invest in your business, or to play it loose and cheap. You will get much, much better results processing yourself, but it comes at a cost. Do some quick math to figure out how many jobs you expect to get, how much you're going to charge, and when you'll pay off that equipment.

As far as components go, you'll want the best CPU, most RAM, and best GPU that you can afford. Yes, I know that those are the main components for any computer, but photogrammetry software will try and squeeze every bit of life out of each one of those. Some software utilizes the RAM over the GPU, but with a low-cost build, you're going to pay for it with failed processing and long compilation times.

I have reconsidered and I will I'll stick to Drone Deploy for time beeing. You are right: The "work/cost" ratio is not looking good. The problem is just that I'm so fed up with slow Internet connections..

I have reconsidered and I will I'll stick to Drone Deploy for time beeing. You are right: The "work/cost" ratio is not looking good. The problem is just that I'm so fed up with slow Internet connections..

Do you have high speed internet options in your area? We upgraded our ISP service for this reason alone (albeit at a cost increase) and it was well worth the expense (our LLC pays the internet bill now LOL).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj