3D photography with Phantom 3

Reaction score
For over 10 years now I have been involved with 3D photography. I was anxious to see if the Phantom would be suitable for shooting the sets required for this type of shot.

It worked GREAT!! Even in winds about 25 - 30 mph I was able to capture photos that satisfied me that it will work great. Because of the problems with the wind I would not want to have anyone see the photos as they are but I now know that in calmer conditions the photos will be stunning.

It is unfortunate I can't share them with you. Sorry but you need a 3D monitor and then the 3D glasses, BUT trust me it works and it is fantastic.

Why not just wait until you have a pic to share before posting? Your post is kind of confusing without it?

Why not just wait until you have a pic to share before posting? Your post is kind of confusing without it?
Sorry to confuse you MAL, If you explain further perhaps I can help you with your confusion. I would, if you like, be happy to post the 3D file, I just don't understand what you would do with it. Now I am confused.

How do you take stereoscopic photos with a single camera?
It is called "the cha cha method". You take a photo and then move sideways between inches to feet from where you took the first photo and then take the second. Home you go and put them together with special software and put the resulting .MPO file on the 3D TV.

Hope this explains it for you. Please ask any questions if you wish.

Thanks. Figured it was from a slightly different perspective. Seems difficult with these drones and wide angle lenses

Thanks. Figured it was from a slightly different perspective. Seems difficult with these drones and wide angle lenses
Quite the contrary. The Phantom has given me some spectacular photos on my very first try. I could not be happier. Now off I go in search of an interesting subject.

Update: finally took some time to try the files Wilfros sent me. They definitely look to be 3D but my glasses batteries are dead. No problem I go to the battery drawer and pull out the CR2032's, no dice. Need CR2025's even tried forcing the 32's in but no luck the glasses are smarter than that. Looking forward to seeing how these work.

I'll try to pick up some new batteries tomorrow.

My tv can turn anything into 3D and I can also undo the 3D in the pictures. The overlap on the files looks quite significant this should really be interesting. For example I see a soccer field and the sidelines look to be off by 5 yards or so. Everything lines up perfectly in 2D

Ooo...this has me intrigued! Always looking for content for my 3D television. What software do you use to merge the two photos? I really really want to try this!

Would you get the same effect from video frames when moving sideways, or even forward?

You can download StereoPhotoMaker software for free. It will create files in many different formats from stereoscopic pairs. It does automatic alignment as well. You can output files for red/blue glasses or you can output as side-by-side for crossed eye viewing, no glasses or TV needed.
http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/

Would you get the same effect from video frames when moving sideways, or even forward?
Moving sideways, yes. It is even possible to create a 3d video by making left and right video tracks from the same footage, just shifted in time.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic