3D mapping a house?...

Reaction score
Hey all!

So I notice when I look up any content about 3D mapping it never involves a single family home in a subdivision. I would like to know if anyone has done this or what difficulties one can come across in a subdivision. Clearly homes can be somewhat close to each other. Trees may also be in the way. I ask this for purposes of home remodeling, exterior additions, any exterior work, etc... I assume it is possible. I'd appreciate any input on this or any content you find on this matter.

Thanks!

Hey all!

So I notice when I look up any content about 3D mapping it never involves a single family home in a subdivision. I would like to know if anyone has done this or what difficulties one can come across in a subdivision. Clearly homes can be somewhat close to each other. Trees may also be in the way. I ask this for purposes of home remodeling, exterior additions, any exterior work, etc... I assume it is possible. I'd appreciate any input on this or any content you find on this matter.

Thanks!
Definitely do-able but it wouldnt be done like a traditional mapping mission flying over and taking nadir images. For a single family home you would want to fly an orbit mission around the home varying your altitude and snapping a pic every couple Seconds. The trick with this is making sure not to get ANY of the horizon in the background, it throws off the modeling software big time. The only capture app I've found to fly these missions so far besides Litchi is Pix4dcapture. If I'm wrong on that part somebody please correct me cause I'd love to know lol. Hope that helped.

Reactions: ron-ep
I think me struggle is figuring out how to navigate around the house. Just imagine a typical house in the suburbs.. only 15-30ft apart, possible trees/branches in the way. I see homes being remodeled and think how helpful a 3d model could be for the builders. It's just those things I mentioned. Searches online don't show anything about mapping homes..? is there a chance there's just no demand?? Lol

I did it quite nicely with Drone Deploy. Merely took about 50 random shots over and around a two-story house, all at about the same altitude, about 80 or 100 feet and maybe the same distance or less away from the house. Only one corner was a little weird where I didn't get enough overlapping coverage. I wasn't hindered by trees or nearby houses.

Reactions: ron-ep
If you have enough information about the house, you can use 3D modeling techniques and not use drones to create a house model. It can be difficult, but it is doable. You still have to check the model with camera sensors after modeling, though. Of course, this will only work if you are fluent in 3D modeling. There's also this option House Plans | Boutique Home Plans. Attach a couple of cameras to the drone and see what each camera is doing. This will give you a more detailed picture of what's going on outside the house. This will allow you to see the trees and buildings by the house and what is around them as a whole.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj