$2 Sun Shield

Reaction score
Made this 10in sunshade from a Kmart plastic document folder. Cut side folds off & open out. Cut to shape & fold as in photo.
Spray it Matte Black.
Sides attach to top with sticky Velcro so can be folded flat for transport/storage. 2 more bits Velcro at bottom of Tablet attach it to cover.

Attachments

• IMG20201019131718.jpg
    IMG20201019131718.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG20201017182053.jpg
    IMG20201017182053.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 227
Nice sunshade design but I think you will still see your sunlit face in the monitor. Here's how to avoid that. The roof should angle downward, and be less than a 90 degree angle to the screen. (About 70 degrees - depending on the length of the roof). That way, the dark bottom side of the roof will be he only thing reflected back at you. Just a suggestion if you find that you still have a reflection problem.

sunshadehood_angle.jpg

Nice sunshade design but I think you will still see your sunlit face in the monitor. Here's how to avoid that. The roof should angle downward, and be less than a 90 degree angle to the screen. (About 70 degrees - depending on the length of the roof). That way, the dark bottom side of the roof will be he only thing reflected back at you. Just a suggestion if you find that you still have a reflection problem.

View attachment 120405
That is a nice little tech improvement. I made one nearly like the one as posted with heavy black board from a craft store which works great in bright light. It’s nothing to make the design change. It seems a slight tilt of the screen would do the same thing?

Reactions: Phill2
Made this 10in sunshade from a Kmart plastic document folder. Cut side folds off & open out. Cut to shape & fold as in photo.
Spray it Matte Black.
Sides attach to top with sticky Velcro so can be folded flat for transport/storage. 2 more bits Velcro at bottom of Tablet attach it to cover.
I found the sun shades work great except when the sun is behind me and high in the sky. I've been thinking about trying a large black sombrero in a case such as that. That would certainly block the sun from above and behind. My question until I actually try it is 'how would it affect my freedom of movement during the flight?'

Reactions: PT7315
That is a nice little tech improvement. I made one nearly like the one as posted with heavy black board from a craft store which works great in bright light. It’s nothing to make the design change. It seems a slight tilt of the screen would do the same thing?

If I understand what you are asking, tilting the screen forward with the attached 90 degree sunshade as is will cause the 90 degree roof to block your view of the screen. But if you mean keeping the shade as it is and somehow bringing the bottom of the screen closer to you (tilting JUST the screen) -- yes that would work. But I think it is easier to just cut the top of the walls at an angle (you can experiment with a second piece of cardboard taped under the roof to determine the best angle before you cut) and then re-tape the walls to the roof.

This is the shade for my iPad.

iPad sunshade.jpg

View attachment 120405
Thanks for comment. I use a transmitter tray from my old R/C heli days, which is just above waist level.
The screen is angle to the ground, not the sky, so reflection is of my body and I wear dark clothing so don't get much reflection. Also have a new anti glare screen on order. Cheers from Tasmania

Reactions: MapMaker53
Thanks for comment. I use a transmitter tray from my old R/C heli days, which is just above waist level.
The screen is angle to the ground, not the sky, so reflection is of my body and I wear dark clothing so don't get much reflection. Also have a new anti glare screen on order. Cheers from Tasmania

Hadn't thought of angling the tablet downward and wearing dark clothing. But I wear a bright safety vest when flying, so that probably wouldn't work for me -- but thanks for the suggestion that others might follow.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31