2.4ghz amps any difference using 1 or 2 ?

Is there a difference if your using 1 or 2 2.4 GHz amps on your remote antenna ???
I use two, but there are many posts that say only one is needed on the Phantom. Personally it seems for me that the performance with two Sunhans 2.5 watt on the 2.4 signal worked better. From what I've read the wifi module switches back and forth between the two, whichever one is getting the stronger signal, that's why they say only one is needed. So I got the less expensive ones (silver) since I was buying two. Don't forget the 5.8 needs a amp too.

Attachments

• IMAG0268.jpg
    IMAG0268.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 394
Last edited:
Thanks for the response......I've had amps now for about a week and I've been running with only the 5.8 and one 2.4, I have another one I was just thinking on weather or not it would be worth the battery power and making a three lead adapter. Because I'm getting good distance now 7000 ft is my furthest so far, so would adding the second one make a significant improvement ?........Doing my own test would probably give me the best answer lol

Reactions: Solly747400
Thanks for the response......I've had amps now for about a week and I've been running with only the 5.8 and one 2.4, I have another one I was just thinking on weather or not it would be worth the battery power and making a three lead adapter. Because I'm getting good distance now 7000 ft is my furthest so far, so would adding the second one make a significant improvement ?........Doing my own test would probably give me the best answer lol
"significant improvement ?" Maybe not, but some type of improvement yes. I'm in the states with FCC mode and have gone over 13,000' with my setup so far. If I had to put a number on it I'd say at least a 25% improvement would be a min., and maybe 50% at most.

Last edited:
Wow that's a big enough improvement for me to justify some modifications I already have the amp.....Thanks william

Wow that's a big enough improvement for me to justify some modifications I already have the amp.....Thanks william
So if you do the math, if your getting 7000' now and add 25% that's 8750' you should get, with 10,500' at 50%. But keep in mind that we're only talking about the 2.4 signal here, your 5.8 control signal still needs to be good at any range or you get the RTH. Also what size amps are you using (watts)? And are they Sunhans?

I think there 2.5 watt the box says 2500 Mili watt....And that's true about the 5.8 signal didn't think about that

Attachments

• IMG_20161224_103750.jpg
    IMG_20161224_103750.jpg
    851.1 KB · Views: 292
That's the same thing I use right now. 5.8 @ 2 watt and 2.4 @ 2.5 watts with the DBS. I'm at 4000 meters so far out in the farm lands. It could have gone further that day, I turned around at that point. But it's not all about range, it's having a really good video signal within the range you fly normally.

I'm in an extremely rural part of Wisconsin so I would think I could achieve similar distances, but you got me thinking, the 5.8 is the control signal right and if I lose that at 7 -.8000 ft then having a stronger video signal wouldn't really help me out that much.....F*** it I'll just try it out today and see for myself

Thanks for the inspiration lol

I'm also wondering how much another amp would affect the battery life because most of the time I walk a ways to get to the top of a hill where I take off so it would suck if it only lasted one flight how long does yours last ?

I'm in an extremely rural part of Wisconsin so I would think I could achieve similar distances, but you got me thinking, the 5.8 is the control signal right and if I lose that at 7 -.8000 ft then having a stronger video signal wouldn't really help me out that much.....F*** it I'll just try it out today and see for myself

Thanks for the inspiration lol

I'm also wondering how much another amp would affect the battery life because most of the time I walk a ways to get to the top of a hill where I take off so it would suck if it only lasted one flight how long does yours last ?
It's a 12 volt power supply @ 4800mAh and it powers all three amps. I can use up two Phantom batteries (what I have) twice, before I recharge it. There's no power indicator, so you never really know the % left in the supply. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010OSYUXA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• IMAG0269.jpg
    IMAG0269.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 361
How many watts is the transmitter without any amps?
Depends if your in a CE or FCC area, and if your referring to the wifi 2.4 GHz or control 5.8 GHz. But here's the break down.
5.8 GHz FCC=100mw (0.1 watt)
5.8 GHz CE=40mw (.04 watt)
2.4 GHz FCC=500mw (0.5 watt)
2.4 GHz CE=100mw (0.1 watt)

Reactions: Matts175
FCC here. Wow. So even a 1w amp would be 10x more power on 5.8ghz. Thanks for the info.
By the book yes, but real world results doesn't mean 10x the range or anything else. Example, before my amps, but with a DBS I was getting 2200 to 2500 meters. Then after the amps got 3000 to 4000 meters.

Reactions: Matts175
Has anyone run the Sunhans on 5v? I was thinking of using a portable phone charger when I put the amps on. Also for the 2.4ghz amps is anything over 1w or 2w overkill? I have been looking at the 3w sunhans. I am in Australia(CE) so even at 1w I am 10x more "power" than stock. Also more clarification on the use of 2 amps vs 1 on 2.4ghz? I am thinking 1x 3w Sunhans amp would get me a **** good range anyway?

Regards

I ran one 2.4 and a 5.8 .... I found video was suffering out at 4800m .... so fitted a second 2.4 to see if I could improve.

To be honest it was inconclusive ......

The joke is - I had similar range and performance with two windsurfers glued together behind the Argtek 5.8 antenna and nothing added to the Argtek plate 2.4 antennas ..... I've now reverted back to this and can hot 4000m consistently without extra weight and gear I had with boosters.

To go even further - I would consider windsurfers behind stick 2.4 antennas .... to improve video feed.

Trouble is as we get extreme range - its not so much the controller that is limiting - its the aircrafts transmit power on 2.4 back to you .....

Nigel

Reactions: AvionicsAussie
So almost 16,000ft!? That is awesome lol.

I guess that I will just go with one of each 2.4 and 5.8 and see how it goes.
What wattage where your amps Nigel?

And Has anyone put a booster/s inside their p3?

Regards, Brayden

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic