2.4ghz amps any difference using 1 or 2 ?

My 5.8 was 2W :

Mini 5.8G Signal Booster amp for DJI Phantom RC Quadcopters Flight Models HOT JS | eBay

My 2.4 was 2W :

2.4G Extend Range Signal Booster Amplifier Device For DJI Phantom Vision FPV NEW | eBay

I will advise anyone using above to be careful to support them. If you install and rely on the antenna connections to support them - they can break as mine did. First they need extra glue ... Hot Glue or Epoxy around the base of the connectors to boards to strengthen. Second I would advise using extension leads to mount the boosters on a tray or similar and not standing of the controller ...

My power was a 6.6V LiFe battery designed for RC receivers of models ...

The 2.4 boosters were fed power via a 5V BEC and the 5.8 booster was direct of the LiFe battery.

No need for a switch ... I used a single JST connector from the battery to a tri-lead .... so when not in use I just unplugged. This also meant I could easily charge the LiFe with my LiPo / LiFe charger .... The battery was Velcro'd to front of controller above the strap hook point.

Nigel

Reactions: AvionicsAussie
Has anyone run the Sunhans on 5v? I was thinking of using a portable phone charger when I put the amps on. Also for the 2.4ghz amps is anything over 1w or 2w overkill? I have been looking at the 3w sunhans. I am in Australia(CE) so even at 1w I am 10x more "power" than stock. Also more clarification on the use of 2 amps vs 1 on 2.4ghz? I am thinking 1x 3w Sunhans amp would get me a **** good range anyway?

Regards
I have good luck with running one 5.8 amp and two 2.4 amps on my set up. The 2.4 are at 2.5 watts and the 5.8 is at 2 watts. These are all powering a DBS mod. I would not get a 1 watt amp, if you're going to go through all this trouble go with something between 2 and 3 amps. My max distance so far is over 23,000 feet with the caveat of I do have antenna mods on my AC. Can't answer your voltage question as my Sunhans are the silver ones that require 12 volts and that's what I pair them with.

I have good luck with running one 5.8 amp and two 2.4 amps on my set up. The 2.4 are at 2.5 watts and the 5.8 is at 2 watts. These are all powering a DBS mod. I would not get a 1 watt amp, if you're going to go through all this trouble go with something between 2 and 3 amps. My max distance so far is over 23,000 feet with the caveat of I do have antenna mods on my AC. Can't answer your voltage question as my Sunhans are the silver ones that require 12 volts and that's what I pair them with.

Are antenna mods on AC difficult? And I am still very curious as to how these amplifiers work? I know a few years back in my training days we built amps and have used transistors many of times for different applications. But normally the voltage would effect the gain and being CE here in Australia I am guessing using a higher voltage setting would be better. I am also aware that a power rating is a power rating and the current is inverse to voltage in a variable voltage appliance. But does this apply to sunhans amps and has anybody actually done bench testing to see what a CE signal would be amplified to as apposed to an FCC signal?

Also those here who are FCC and who are CE?

Brayden

Before I went with boosters - I applied Icarus to my CE setup to increase the 2.4 up to max 27dbm ......

The fact of using Boosters crosses the legal power radiated line anyway - so why worry about CE vs FCC ?

Its no good really boosting up RC if the AC is still back on low CE power ....

Nigel

Im glad you just told me about Icarus as I had never heard of it.

I am only new on the DJI scene, I spent 10years in Airforce as an Avionics tech and now spend my days beside a Jetranger instead of a Hornet so drones haven't done much for me but now I have the bug!!!

I read somewhere that DJI need everyone to do an update or they will criple all machines or along those lines this week in the news? How much control do "they" have and could Icarus brick your drone?

And I am fully aware that it is illegal going over regardless, but I would love to know real figures after boost CE vs FCC just so I can fully understand the workings of the amps. Being a tech makes things easy, as well as making them hard! Lol Always get the "Have to understand it all syndrome!"

And as for the AC, well if I can play with antenna it I will ;-)

My P3S is due to arrive tomorrow, I dont even have it yet and the poor thing is already not good enough haha.

The silly thing is, I am a very resonsible person, I just like having capabilities that others wouldn't normally have! Hence what brings me to this thread :)

I tried the free Magic Power but it failed as it hadn't been updated to cater for later FW ... it now has been and people say its OK.
Personally I still prefer Icarus as it is so easy to work with ... it resides on the tablet instead of like Magic Power that needs a PC to operate.

OK ... lets move on to actual detail.

Before you can thin k about using boosters ........... you need to think about the antenna config of the standard controller. The 2.4 antennae are placed INSIDE the controller and are two small flat plate antenna that need to be clear of obstructions.
The control system antenna 5.8Ghz is the single stick antenna external.

As far as I know - none of these antennae are suitable to be used for boosting (except the 5.8Ghz with a Windsurfer). So you need to consider antenna system to fit.

Argtek system is about $40 - $60 depending on seller........

ITELITE system is over $100 ....

Both these systems replace the OEM gear and require opening the controller case and removing original leads / antennae. But once done - you have all the opportunity to add boosters or whatever you decide.

I went for the ARGTEK because I'm a scrooge !! But I was very careful to make sure I made all connections inside the controller well ... they are tiny connectors and easily damaged / not fitted properly. The ARGTEK is designed to be a direct fit without modification ...
Having the screw on antenna fittings ... means that boosters etc. can be fitted easily .... BUT take note that amount of screw thread outside the ARGTEK plastic is not quite enough for most adaptor leads ... so the adaptor leads screw caps need to be ground back a touch shorter to get the internal antenna part tight onto base.

If I can help on this .... please ask.

Nigel

Are antenna mods on AC difficult? And I am still very curious as to how these amplifiers work? I know a few years back in my training days we built amps and have used transistors many of times for different applications. But normally the voltage would effect the gain and being CE here in Australia I am guessing using a higher voltage setting would be better. I am also aware that a power rating is a power rating and the current is inverse to voltage in a variable voltage appliance. But does this apply to sunhans amps and has anybody actually done bench testing to see what a CE signal would be amplified to as apposed to an FCC signal?

Also those here who are FCC and who are CE?

Brayden
Installing birdside antenna is not difficult at all, especially if you're used to dealing with electronic components on other devices. Changing out the antenna on the Wi-Fi 2.4 signal is easier of the two being you only have to open up the gimbal to access those connections. The 5.8 connections are inside the drone on the mainboard, hence you have to take apart the shell of the drone to get access. And depending on which antenna you're going with, you sometimes have to be creative to find a mounting location. When I'm on my PC I'll upload some pictures of mine and see if I can find a link or two of a thread that discusses these modification.

And since you mentioned you're just about to get your Phantom shipped to you, these modifications will void warranty immediately.

Personally I would leave the 'bird' well alone. Control signal is one way TO the bird ..... it is only video / telemetry back to you that is subject to 'bird' RF capability. RTH etc will bring her home !

I have made no modifications to 'bird' other than Icarus .... and I have had over 4800m range. All mods were made to RC.

Nigel

Question ..... How much range do OP want ?

If its reasonable .... use a Windsurfer and not modify ....

Nigel

I tried the free Magic Power but it failed as it hadn't been updated to cater for later FW ... it now has been and people say its OK.
Personally I still prefer Icarus as it is so easy to work with ... it resides on the tablet instead of like Magic Power that needs a PC to operate.

OK ... lets move on to actual detail.

Before you can thin k about using boosters ........... you need to think about the antenna config of the standard controller. The 2.4 antennae are placed INSIDE the controller and are two small flat plate antenna that need to be clear of obstructions.
The control system antenna 5.8Ghz is the single stick antenna external.

As far as I know - none of these antennae are suitable to be used for boosting (except the 5.8Ghz with a Windsurfer). So you need to consider antenna system to fit.

Argtek system is about $40 - $60 depending on seller........

ITELITE system is over $100 ....

Both these systems replace the OEM gear and require opening the controller case and removing original leads / antennae. But once done - you have all the opportunity to add boosters or whatever you decide.

I went for the ARGTEK because I'm a scrooge !! But I was very careful to make sure I made all connections inside the controller well ... they are tiny connectors and easily damaged / not fitted properly. The ARGTEK is designed to be a direct fit without modification ...
Having the screw on antenna fittings ... means that boosters etc. can be fitted easily .... BUT take note that amount of screw thread outside the ARGTEK plastic is not quite enough for most adaptor leads ... so the adaptor leads screw caps need to be ground back a touch shorter to get the internal antenna part tight onto base.

If I can help on this .... please ask.

Nigel

Already got that sorted. Will be the DBS antenna, with more than likely 3 gold 3W sunhans.

Question ..... How much range do OP want ?

If its reasonable .... use a Windsurfer and not modify ....

Nigel

As much as I can lol. And the windsurfer would only go over my 5.8ghz, main thing I want is video all the way out to where RTH initiates.

Also I see Magic power can change your machine setting not only by increasing dbm but can change between CE and FCC modes, so therefore it can adjust 5.8ghz as well as 2.4ghz (from what I understand), can Icarus do anything for 5.8ghz and with either of these what are the risks involved if any?

Regards, Brayden

Magic power and Icarus do not alter 5.8 at all. They both alter 2.4 only.

There is no software equivalent to alter 5.8 that I know of ...

Nigel

Magic power and Icarus do not alter 5.8 at all. They both alter 2.4 only.

There is no software equivalent to alter 5.8 that I know of ...

Nigel

I may be wrong. But i am pretty sure it will let you go to FCC equivelant, therefore if you are in CE area it will boost 5.8ghz.

Can someone confirm this? I have read it but I am not 100% sure how and if it is true.

Regards
Brayden

Both 2.4 and 5.8 are CE / FCC ......

But only 2.4 is changed by Icarus and Magic Power.

Normally - most people suffer loss of 2.4 connection before loss of 5.8 ... so its the choice to be boosted by software.

As far as I am aware - there is no software booster for 5.8 available for our Phantoms.

Nigel

Y
Both 2.4 and 5.8 are CE / FCC ......

But only 2.4 is changed by Icarus and Magic Power.

Normally - most people suffer loss of 2.4 connection before loss of 5.8 ... so its the choice to be boosted by software.

As far as I am aware - there is no software booster for 5.8 available for our Phantoms.

Nigel

Yes but it changes the output of CE wattage to FCC settings. So obviously tricks the drone into putting out full power instead of limiting it for CE like it does in the regions. Will look into it further.

Y

Yes but it changes the output of CE wattage to FCC settings. So obviously tricks the drone into putting out full power instead of limiting it for CE like it does in the regions. Will look into it further.
There was a member on the Magic Jack thread that brought up this very discussion. And went into great technical detail in describing why he thought that was so, as you're describing. It went on for several pages with discussion pro and con, but being I'm in a FCC area I never followed the discussion to its conclusion.

Y

The Magic power does it as far as I understood by 'flipping' the regional code in the FW which is determined by GPS coordinates as well as the relative line.

Magic Power works different to Icarus, as Icarus I read is a continuous stable change and not subject to repeat code flip.

But both result in full 27db output on 2.4Ghz ......

Here's Icarus page :

: Referenze

Magic Power vs out of box :

Nigel

Yeah thought so! that is insane!

I am just confirming all details at the moment. But will be proceeding as soon as I have the all clear with 110% of the information I need as I am scared of making a mistake that may be costly (if possible).

So when I put the Itelite and 3W sunhans on it will be stupid! hahaha

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl