1st Use on SWAT team for P3P

Reaction score
Reported to a "stand off" scene and informed my superiors I was "on scene" and had my drone if needed. 3 min later the Commander called and asked if I could operate my drone from my location and search for a subject w/o having to get to the perimeter area. I affirmed that I could and proceeded to go through both batteries searching tree lines and fields for this person. It worked very well except for the fact that I was near some homes and buildings where I had to take off from. It hampered my visual a bit and I lost video signal a couple of times. (that was scary) The solution was to gain altitude but then I could not see the ground as closely as I needed to. Turned out that the subject was not in the area. At least we saw how it could be used and what the operating parameters were in a real life situation. All in all, it was pretty cool. I need more batteries! Anyone know how to increase the "gain" on the video signal or if it is even possible?

Below are pics that the newspaper published so I can post them. Normally, our agency doesn't allow pics to be posted w/o permission.

Drone Ready.jpg

Starting up my Trackimo and getting ready to head for the skies to do a search.

Drone Flying.jpg

Checking GPS stabilization before starting the search.

Only a mayer time (probably already done) before FLIR is used to locate people and/or hot spots in fires, etc. I think once the news starts to report on these things that the public will see does in a good light. Thanks for the post!

Hopefully people's views on drones will change. As it is now, it wouldn't be surprising to see the SWAT called out for a drone flyer!

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: AirApparent
In terms of greater signal distance/stability, FPVLR might be a good solution.

Unfortunately, their website seems to be having some potential security issues at the moment, so I can't/won't link now, but there are lots of discussions (mostly in the Phantom 2 sections). Maybe someone else can help.

Nice use of the bird. The best way to increase gain is by upgrading your antennas. FPVLR seems to be the goto. I had a set on my former P2V+ which helped out tremendously. I've read great things about the one for the P3 & Inspire 1 controllers. If you go down the path of the upgrade I'd recommend the advanced version for the signal booster.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
I can understand the value of the Phantom. However Indiana and Arizona both have laws forbidding law enforcement from using a drone to monitor individuals without a warrant. Other states probably have similar statues. I only checked the ones where I'll be flying.

I can understand the value of the Phantom. However Indiana and Arizona both have laws forbidding law enforcement from using a drone to monitor individuals without a warrant. Other states probably have similar statues. I only checked the ones where I'll be flying.
What is the definition of "monitoring". Would the use case here of trying to FIND someone be considering MONITORING? To monitor you would have to find first...

Reactions: skyhighdiver

Are you saying this is a negative thing to locate a dangerous individual that swat was looking for ?

There was a warrant out for this individual.

Hey, make sure you set your RTH taller than the tallest building in the area. If one gets between you and the phantom. RTH will initiate and it will smack a building.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic