1st flight with P4P with concerns - auto take off and RTH

Reaction score
I flew my new P4P yesterday for an hour or so in beginner mode, but have concerns. On auto take off 1 out of about 7 lifts the drone went to 19.4 feet. I found that odd or is it expected to do this sometimes. Also, when I press the RTH on the controller the P4P misses the mark by up to 16 feet. Once it land from it current position instead of returning home. I will do more testing today but hate the thought of what appears to be a simple fluke could actually cause a fly away or similar. By the way FW is up to date with IMU and Compass calibrated

TIA

Check your RTH setting and make sure it is not set to land or hover. Also, 16' is normal for RTH. If you want it to land exactly or almost from takeoff, do precision takeoff. It will record the point more accurately by using the sensors/camera as well. Hope that helps. Happy flying!

thanks for the rapid response - I will check both when I go to fly this after noon. Feeling better already that it's probably a setting and not the drone. Ha confirms I may also be challenged with a learning curve

Reactions: HighTechPauper
If bird is within a certain distance of home point (30 meters or feet, cant remember which) it will just land where it is unless you intervene by pushing and holding left stick up while you move to a better location or by cancelling RTH beforehand.
The 19 foot takeoff seems a bit weird as I have never seen that, and missing the home point by that much seems like the GPS position is not well refined when you took off, or maybe the OA is causing some of this.

But given the relative sophistication of the hardware and infancy of the logic and control software, I really expect there to be plenty of hiccups along the way. If I didn't like the bleeding edge of high tech consumer electronics, perhaps i would just return it and leave the fun to the rest who are.

IMHO

oh, and i mean no disrespect or disparagement, just trying to give some food for thought from another perspective. Happy flying/FPV'ing!!!

I flew my new P4P yesterday for an hour or so in beginner mode, but have concerns. On auto take off 1 out of about 7 lifts the drone went to 19.4 feet. I found that odd or is it expected to do this sometimes. Also, when I press the RTH on the controller the P4P misses the mark by up to 16 feet. Once it land from it current position instead of returning home.
Most users use a manual takeoff to have full control and get the ir Phantom into the air where and how they want it.
RTH autolanding relies on consumer GPS which is not pinpoint accurate.
If you try 10 times you will get 10 different distances but most will be within 6-7 feet and occasionally slightly more.
There's no need to let RTH autoland.
You can cancel at any time if you have control signal and resume control yourself.
The P4 pro also has a precision landing feature that allows for landing within a few inches of launch point.
You have to enable this feature in the app to use it.
And lastly ... if you initiate RTH while your Phantom is closer than 20 metres, it will just land where it is.
No-one has ever been able to understand why it's progranned that way - it just is.
But (almost) no-one ever initiates RTH within 20 metres except new fliers trying out RTH.

There is no such setting for RTH.
There is a choice of options for Loss of Signal.
That is not what the OP is asking about.

Sorry Meta, you are right. I always make sure that is set to RTH for signal loss that way it doesn't land in a bad spot, hopefully. My bad. [emoji15]

If you use the swipe for precise take off it will ascend for a fair few feet recording its take off position, check your display if DJI GO at the top and it will tell you it's in take off mode. If close to home it will just land, suggest as test take beginner off, find a nice safe field or somewhere similar and fly it further to test. Mine comes back normally within 3-4 inches of take off position.

Also, how many satellites is the unit picking up?

Thanks for all the insight - drove in beginner mode again today. Basically just testing and moving slow. I did both manual and auto take offs and landings. No further concerns or issues. On auto take offs all went up to about 4 feet and hovered. None went up to 19 feet on its own and I am glad about that. I agree with above statements that in beginner mode and RTH button pushed if the craft is within probably 20 the Phantom just lands. In manual I had no issues taking off and landing or flying. I would like to say at this point I do love this machine

I believe your experience is normal. If you read the manual word for word (the info is scattered all over, the Chinese mind LOL!) You will find the info. First, even if set to precise landing, the drone must travel at least 60 feet?meters? Away from home point or when you press RTH it will just land. Go figure! Also depending on mode when taking off the drone will rise to approximately 20 feet or 4 feet. I have experienced what you going through as well. I am having RTH's where set to 20 meters the drone returns from 300 meters at 300 meters then desends to land at home point. I'm almost sure that that is in its programing somewhere!
GL Steve

Thanks, I was in beginner mode so your statement makes sense. In beginner mode the craft can only fly 30 from home which it did and would not go outside that range. I also find comfort in some one else experiencing the 20 foot rise on auto take off, thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan