14 CFR 101.41 (b) "nationwide community-based organization"

Reaction score
What exactly does this mean, in practice?

"The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;"

What exactly is this organization I need to join in order to qualify as a hobbyist under this rule? Or can I just print out their safety guidelines and follow them, without joining?

AMA is considered a community-based organization, Academy of Model Aeronautics. You could print out the guidelines and follow them. AMA does offer some insurance benefits which are widely debated.

Reactions: BigAl07
First, this is very vague and the very little information has been given out on this. I've done a lot of research on this and will give you my 2 cents...

The FAA has stated that the AMA is one example of a CBO. However, the only people who need to follow AMA rules are those that the rules apply to. They would not apply to any non-members nor anyone flying outside of their control. Think about it... why would a non-member know that the AMA or any other prganization is a CBO and, as such, why would they know any of their rules. I'm starting up my own organization that is a CBO so everyone needs to follow my rules as well?

The FAA has the sole power over airspace. What if you are flying at a racing drone event and the local host (AMA, etc.) wants to put in the rules that a speed limit, altitude limit, range, etc. They would be regulating airspace... which would be illegal. Congress allows these CBO's to make up these rules as long as they don't counter the FAA's regulations. But those CBO rules still only apply to the people that they have power over. If you are a member of the AMA then you may be required to follow their rules. If you participate in one of their events then you might agree to their ruling.

But you don't need to follow a CBO's guidelines if their don't have that initial power over you.

... But you don't need to follow a CBO's guidelines if their don't have that initial power over you.

I'm not sure the point you're going after so I'll confine my reply to actual rules.

1. To fly for hobby you must follow a CBO's rules. You get to pick which one. Any one.

2. You don't have to actually belong to the CBO to follow its rules. The AMA had tried to make you believe so, but no - not true.

3. The CBO rules about altitude / speed / range do not collide with the FAA control of airspace. The FAA rule is that you do follow CBO rules. Simple.

I'm not sure the point you're going after so I'll confine my reply to actual rules.

1. To fly for hobby you must follow a CBO's rules. You get to pick which one. Any one.

2. You don't have to actually belong to the CBO to follow its rules. The AMA had tried to make you believe so, but no - not true.

3. The CBO rules about altitude / speed / range do not collide with the FAA control of airspace. The FAA rule is that you do follow CBO rules. Simple.

This makes no sense. First, what would be the purpose if you could pick and choose what rules to follow (and what other rules you can feel free to ignore). What if people wanted to follow the rules from the American UAV fliers Club. They have one rule, 1) do whatever you want. If anyone can simply pick this CBO to be in compliance, everyone is now in 100% compliance at all times. It would make that who CBO thing 100% pointless as no one ever could be held accountable for it. The AMA is a CBO. The AMA's rule don't agree with FAA regulations. They are more restrictive... which is not a violation of FAA regulations but if your statement were to be correct, they would be in violation of US Code. _That_ is why the CBO clause is in section 336... it simply allows local organizations to make _more restrictive_ rules on their members. being a member is voluntary and that is the only way those rules can exist (is if the person chooses to be subjected to those ruled). I'll explain quickly. The AMA limits flight to 400' or less within 3 miles of an airport. US Code allows only the FAA to regulate airspace. The AMA's rules are not a regulation if they only apply to people who _choose_ to follow those rules (i.e. become a member). The flip side is if Section 336 did not contain the CBO clause the AMA could be charged with a crime for regulating airspace. The CBO clause allows them to put these regulations in place but again, only for the members.

I'll also fully agree that the CBO clause is terribly worded. It's about as bad as it gets. They only way to know for sure what Congress means by that clause is to ask the person who wrote it.... which is the opposite of how a law should be written (a law should be.... I don't know.... clear?). But as mentioned above, what you say would only serve to make it 100% pointless. So I don't see it as what it really means. It's also that terrible wording that make local people think that they gave a right to create their own regulations on airspace (for example, even the idiots who attempt to create a law that requires people to fly higher than 400' if they want to fly over land that they don't own. Yes... local idiots passed a law stating that).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel